Help! How much wet food do I feed my cat a day?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lesliejm, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lesliejm

Lesliejm Member

He is 15 pounds. I am feeding him nutro perfect portions. He was getting 3/4 to 1 cup a day of dry food. Blue buffalo wilderness. I have no idea how many of those to feed him a day. Thanks! Oh, was size cans?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  2. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Hi,
    it is better to get your vet's help in determining what is the best, the "optimal" weight for your kitty and then to figure out how much calories he needs. The caloric intake depends on individual metabolism, the activity level and the insulin needs (if your kitty is on insulin!) and on whether he needs to gain, to maintain or to loose the current weight .
    THIS wonderful blog by cat nutritionists Dr. Pierson has a lot of good info on how much to feed.
    Just to give you an idea (but it may NOT work for your cat!) : my little cat girl is 9 years old couch potato, very little activity level gained significantly on Friskies Pates 1 1/2 - 1 1/4 of 5.5 oz - it was approximately 250 Kcal per 24 hours fed in small portions throughout a day. She now maintains her weight on less than 180 Kcal per day.
    I am not familiar with Nutro brand but here is the food chart that lists caloric value (and also carbs/fat/proteins per 100 Kcal) that you may want to check - food chart click here.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My 17 lb cat ate about 12 Oz per day of fancy feast. I would guess your cat probably would eat 9-12 ounces per day

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.