Help I don’t know what to do?!?!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Larnmarie11, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larnmarie11

Larnmarie11 New Member

Help! At the vet right now. It has been a couple of days on antibiotics to get rid of my babies upper respiratory infection and now he’s feeling much better. And change in food to the wet food and now schedule feeding. His glucose was just checked. And it went from 456 last time. To 220 today. I haven’t given any insulin yet to him. But the vet is saying that she knows he’s still diabetic bc it was in his urine. Does anyone know if that’s true??? Or should I just keep up with the diet and see if they keep dropping before doing insulin???

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Most likely his glucose was so high partly because of the infection. Any underlying illness can give you much higher BG numbers. Do you test at home? That'll give you a much better picture of what's really going on. That 220 isn't really a bad number at the vet...too high but that could be due to vet stress. At home, it might actually be a lot lower. I find it odd that he would have glucose in his urine at that number...any chance you can get a copy of the labs they perform today and share them with us?

Have you changed him over to a completely low carb diet? How long has he been on it? It could be that the ABs plus a diet change would be enough, but there's no way to know for sure without more tests.

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I agree with Rachel. I would bring him home and test him at home for a day or two and then decide about starting insulin. He may well still be diabetic, but glucose is going to spill into the urine anytime a cat is over roughly 200ish, so that could just be leftover inflammation or stress. You can’t teally tell on the spot like that.

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Thanks Djamila! I wasn't sure about when glucose starts to appear in urine.

5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

From what I've read, it depends a bit on the cat, but usually somewhere around 200-220ish. With Sam I've seen it as low as mid-180's, but he seems a little extra sensitive to higher numbers. I think most cats can tolerate a bit more elevation in numbers first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.