Help! Just tested 32, No insulin since Saturday!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mamalou, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

Got my first reading today, one hour after shot, meter said 37mg! I don't think I did it right because she is fine. Alert and happy, walking just fine, playful, should I be concerned? Will try again in one hour. What do you think? Scared.

2. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Re: Lily's first BG reading..very low!

Do you have any gravied foods? If so try to feed her some of that, If not do you have any karo syrup on hand. If so rub a little on her gums.
    Then test again.

Terri

3. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

Thanks Terri, I do have some gravy food. Will try it.

4. terri1962

If she is really that low I will try to get some help from the Lantus board as I have no experience with numbers that low. Edit, I now see that she is on Novolin not Lantus, I can still try to get someone to help.

Terri

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

At 39, on Novolin this early, I think I'd go straight to some honey rubbed on her gums. Then in 10 minutes or so, another test. N does hit early but she may drop further in the next few hours.

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Anything under forty, Lou Ann, is hypo territory - we usually see these numbers much later in the cycle. If she drops much further and the gravy/honey don't mean a rise, I think I'd take her to the vet. Hypo is very dangerous.

Test again in case the first one was a fluke. If not, please add a 911 to your post. (go back up to your first post, choose Edit and add 911)

7. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

26!!! What! I gave her some Karo. Good grief! I am wondering if the meter is correct or not. She is fine. What is going on?

8. terri1962

Lou Ann,

I think I would pack her right up now and get her to the vet NOW. Test maybe one more time NOW and if you get that again go to the vet.
    Edit, Yes as Sue said test the meter on your self and make sure it is working correctly
    Terri

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Try the meter on yourself. Does it read in a normal range (in the 100s). Is it possible you have it set to metric? Check the instructions to see.

If she is acting fine, something may be wrong with your meter.

10. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

I tested myself, 124. normal. The meter is set for mg/dl. No decimal point in the results as in mmol/L. Waiting one more hour and will retest, and if it is still low, will call the vet. I also tested her urine, it was normal. She seem just fine. She is watching the birds in the backyard and flipping her tail back and forth, ready for the kill. I don't get it.

11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I don't either. Watch her carefully. I would test every 15 minutes. If she goes any lower, I would take her in and have her checked. (i know she is acting fine, but those are LOW numbers!)

12. terri1962

Lou Ann,

I would test her again now and if she is still that low, off to the vet.

Terri

13. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Did you try another test, Lou Ann?

14. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

She is up to 55! I had given her more of the gravy/high carb food and re-tested her. I am wondering how the rest of the day will go. Testing every hour. I am hoping that she has gone into remission. No shot tonight if the BG is within an acceptable range. Thoughts?

15. terri1962

Lou Ann,

I think 55 is a good number. Wait to see if Sue comes back online as she has much more experience than I do. I have no experience with Novolin. At least right now she is not dropping any more. Just don`t feed her a whole bunch of food in case you may have to feed her more later. Wait to see how the day goes before you decide about the shot tonight. Yes I would test her every hour if you can.

Terri

16. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Great! The usual advice is 3 rising tests before you relax. Tonight, get advice. The high carb food and bouncing may mean a higher number, but I'd reduce. And no shot under 200

17. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

I am not sure what you mean by:
    This is all pretty new to me, so please explain further.

18. Re: Lily's first BG reading..very low!

Lou Ann,
    I want to make sure I have the timing right.

What time did she get her shot this morning, and what dose?

And the test at +1, that was the first test you got? You didn't get one at shot time?

Carl

19. terri1962

Lou Ann,

What Sue means is you want 3 tests of her BG levels where her numbers are going up, 55, 63, 78 for example instead of any of her numbers going back down.

Terri

20. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

No, I didn't get a pre-shot test in, I have learned my lesson!! 2 units

The first test was 1 hour after the shot (7:30 am). 37
    The second, (9:00 am) 26
    The third (10:20 am) 55

Will test again in another 30 minutes.

21. Re: Lily's first BG reading..very low!

OK, thanks for the clarification.

There's no way of knowing for sure but my guess is that the BG was pretty low at shot time. Probably low enough that you would have held off on giving insulin.

That's water under the bridge. Just very happy that you were able to catch it when it dropped and have been able to stop it from dropping.

Test in 30 is a great idea :)

22. Re: Lily's first BG reading..very low!

Lou Ann,
    Your insulin is Novolin "N", right? What does the vial say?

23. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hello. I'm so glad you tested at +1 and caught that number. I'm so glad you learned to home test, because you just may have saved Lily's life by catching that number and acting on it.

I'm assuming you are using Novolin N and not Novolin R, right?

I believe Novolin R is usually about a 4 hour duration and Novolin N is usually about a 6 hour duration, but I could be wrong and every cat is different (ECID).

This is how I determine when to test next, and it does have a little do with when the tests are in the cycle and how fast the BGs are changing:
    Over 70, test every hour
    50 to 69, test every 30 minutes
    Under 50, test every 15 minutes.

I'm just so glad you tested and were preparred with gravy and karo.

24. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

11:30 am: 77!

Testing is getting easier!

25. Re: Lily's first BG reading..very low!

Much better.
    When did she eat last?

26. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

She ate at 9:00 am that was the gravy meal. Yes, it's Novolin N Carl. I am hoping I can find her for her next test. She ran to the basement when I started the vacuum! Probably shouldn't have done that. I still have a little time before I have to test her again.

27. Re: Lily's first BG reading..very low!

I'll be watching.

28. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Lou Ann,

You're getting great at testing! Well done, you!

How is your girl doing now? (Is she still in the basement? (Cats, eh..?))
    And how long is it now since she had that insulin shot?

Eliz

29. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

Hi Eliz and Carl:

She came upstairs when I opened a can of tuna for my lunch. :lol: Couldn't get any blood this time and she was squirmming too much. Gave her a treat and let her go for a bit. Will try again later. Crossing my fingers for another good reading.

30. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

1:40 pm = 137!!!

Yippee!! I think we are good until shot time. Poor little ear is so red, I cannot get blood from the other one.

31. Linda and Scooter & Jack

Linda and Scooter & Jack Well-Known Member

Sometimes two quick pokes one beside the other on the ear that doesn't work so great makes the blood come out for a reading.

With your meter you need just a tiny bit of blood.

I just switched from Humilin N to Levemir because Scooter wasn't very stable. I had to give insulin 3 times a day on Humilin but always test before giving it since it is really is not as stable as Levemir. It's on my SS if you need info.

Good luck with your kitty your in the right place! :D

Linda

32. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I think then it's about +7 (7 hours after the shot), so the insulin effectiveness should be waning now.
    I would test her again at +11 (5:30pm) and post the number. Getting a +11 and comparing that number to the +12 PS test can help you to know if she's staying around the same numbers or going up or going down when it comes time to give the shot.

You will need to reduce the dose tonight, if you give insulin. You do not want her going into the 20s and 30s again tonight, or any time that you can avoid it.

33. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I also poke once and if I don't get enough blood, I poke again right next to the first poke. I rub my thumb along the outside of his ear (I test on the inside of my cat's ear) to "milk" the blood up, and be patient and wait as it can take 10 to 15 seconds to get a good enough drop of blood formed. Treats for Lily after every single whether successful or not.

34. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I think I was wrong before in my previous post. I've only used Humilin R (and Novolin R), so I am not experienced with the N, but have been on the board for a long time so I have experience from reading thousands of posts. I think the R actually lasts closer to 4 to 6 hours, and the N lasts for 6 to 8 hours.
    Anyway, the effects of the insulin should be wearing off shortly. When a cat goes into such extreme low numbers (like Lily just did), they are very often extra sensitive to insulin after that. So, be cautious on your next dose.

Hopefully, someone with more experience using Novolin N can help you to determine how much to reduce the dose to.

35. Re: Lily's first BG reading..very low!

Great advice from Dyana on testing an hour prior to the next shot.

Don't be shocked by a higher number at PMPS after she dropped so low this morning.
    Has anyone explained "bouncing" to you yet?

Carl

36. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

R type insulin lasts roughly 2-4 hours in the cat.
    N type insulin lasts roughly 6-8 hours in the cat.

A way to steer low numbers is:
    feed 1-2 teaspoons of high carb gravied food
    wait 20-30 min
    re-test
    repeat as needed.

37. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

I would love an explanation on bouncing. No clue what that means.

38. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When the glucose drops rapidly or to an unfamiliar level, compensatory hormones kick in to release stored glucose (glycogen) which raises the glucose level back up, sometimes even higher than usual. We call it bouncing.

39. misty1477

misty1477 Well-Known Member

I just saw your post. So happy you caught that low number, was prepared, had help from everyone, and Lily is rising. cat_pet_icon

Now you are an expert at home-testing. :D

I cannot offer help with dosing your insulin...RumpelT ran on ProZinc.

Hope all goes well for the rest of the day. :smile:

40. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

That's scary! What do you do when that happens?

41. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When a kitty bounces, you just wait it out. It takes up to 3 days to settle down. Better too high for a day, than too low for a moment!

For some cats, it may work better to gradually lower the nadir aiming for 100 mg/dL first, then aiming for 50 mg/dL, to give the body time to become accustomed to lower numbers.

42. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

Sorry, but I don't understand. This is all so new to me.

43. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

45 !! OMG! Now what?

44. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Mikey is one of those cats that needs to be eased into lower numbers. What that means is that instead of having him on a dose of say 2u that brings his nadir (lowest point) to a lovely 50-80, I start with a 1.75, where he ends up only dropping to maybe 90-130. I hold that dose for a few days so he stabilizes and consistently gets a nadir under 150 before I increase him again to a "fat" 1.75u. That will bring his nadir down to around 100-120 for a few days before I increase again to a "skinny" 2u, which'll bring him into the 80-100 range for a few days before the final increase to 2u.

If I just skip the micro-increases and go straight from 1.75u to 2u, he ends up dropping into the 50s in the first couple of days and then bounces into flat 200s for a few more days and then drops to the 50s, bounces some more, rinse and repeat. Because of this, the bouncing can take a week or two for him to clear out where he's running the majority of time in the 200s vs. me doing small increases over a week or two where his nadir might not be ideal but at least he's spending the majority of time under 200 instead of over.

45. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Give him a little of his regular food and test again in 30 minutes. You're probably going to be skipping tonight's shot so you don't want to carbo-load him if you don't have to.

46. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Looks like I got back in time for the fun. Okay, rinse and repeat. I give him some gravy off the higher carb good and test again in 20 minutes. Interesting development and very unusual. Maybe the high carb kept him high all day and now it has worn off?

Sure glad you learned how to test! :mrgreen:

47. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Is this your PMPS? Definitely no insulin! Not sure about what that means with your insulin. Gypsy was ProZinc. Maybe wait 20 min and test again? See if her number goes up without food?

48. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

Thanks, I just fed her the regular good. Will test again in 30. I am so nervous. Don't know what I would do without all of you! Ran out of the gravy food, off to the store after her next poke.

49. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

The Novolin usually wears off by now (it's an "in and out" insulin), so I don't think she'll keep dropping, however, our kitties don't read the rule book, so you'll want to keep testing every half-hour or so to make sure the numbers stay above 40.

50. Sue and Oliver (GA)

You are doing GREAT! You have already saved her life twice today, Mom!

51. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

My poor baby. She is such a sweetie. I hate that she has to go through this.

52. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Well, hopefully she won't have to go through it much longer. ;-)

53. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It is sad she has to go through this BUT she is so lucky to have such a great momma bean! Remember, she is getting the care she needs and look how far you've come! A testing expert and willing to do what it takes to make her feel better! What a lucky kitty to have you!

54. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

88! Whew! That was after she ate her FF pate. :YMSIGH:

55. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Very nice! I would grab another test in about an hour or two and see where's she's at. When is her next shot time?

56. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Very exciting and educational to watch this unfold! Great job Lou Ann!

57. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

Her next shot was due 15 minutes ago. No shot tonight!

58. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Nope! :D Just make sure you grab a test tomorrow morning before her AMPS. If it's below 200, don't give the shot! Post here first.

59. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I would skip the shot tonight, and be sure to test tomorrow morning, before giving any insulin.

If you Edit your first Subject Line to change it to something like "Lily's first BGs very low! Novolin N Advice please"
    that might attract someone that knows more about the insulin you are using.

Novolin N isn't a common insulin used for the people posting on this board. If you don't hear otherwise, I would not give her insulin if her BG is below 200 tomorrow.

I wish you luck.

Lily could be one of the fortunate ones that goes off insulin. It might not be now, or tomorrow, but it is a possibility ;-)

60. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Re: Lily's first BGs very low! Novolin N Advice please

Agree with no insulin tonight. But even if tomorrow's number is pretty high, I'd still reduce. Influencing the high number will be 24 hours since the last shot, high carb food and maybe a bounce. I'd reduce your last dose by half?

61. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

Only a few test strips left, saving for tomorrow. Had to throw out a lot because they would not register in the meter. Emergency run to Wal-mart in the morning. Lily's ear will get a rest until the morning. :oops:

62. misty1477

misty1477 Well-Known Member

Lou Ann...you did an awesome job today. You 'did' save Lily's life twice. :D

Tonight...you rest....Lily's ear rests.
    Tomorrow...A better day.

cat_pet_icon

63. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

Thanks Misty and everyone else for today. What a nightmare for us both. She is sleeping on her favorite paper bag, weird kitty, but I love her so much. More tomorrow, good night all and God bless you!

64. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Good night, Lou Ann [​IMG]

65. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

The importance of those pre-shot tests can not be emphasized enough with the fast acting NPH insulins like Novolin N and Humulin N. You have a much shorter window of time before these insulins start to work, so it's very important to feed at least 30-45 minutes before you give the insulin.

Drops in BG are also more severe, so you should not attempt to get really low BG's in mid-cycle with the NPH insulins. It's more like a very steep V curve then a nice gentle smile you get with the L insulins. You do not have the safety margins with the NPH insulins like you do with the better insulins like Lantus, Levimir and Prozinc.

1. Do not shoot if the BG is <200 (You don't have enough data yet)
    2. Pre-shot test, feed, wait 30-45 minutes, then shoot. This waiting period between feeding and shooting the NPH insulin is so important with these insulins. Do not rush things.
    3. Err on the side of caution with the dose.

You were originally feeding some dry food to Lily, back before 1/9/14. Since you no longer feed the dry food, just the Fancy Feast, that may have had a big impact on her BG levels. I know you were on 1u when you originally started. Even that may be too much with the diet change.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

66. Jen&Eddie

Jen&Eddie Well-Known Member

Wonderful job Lou Ann!

I've not been at the "sugar dance" very long, but from what I've seen here, it does seem that about 50% of new beans are surprised by the low numbers they are seeing the first time they get that first successful home test. I hope you will share your experiences with other new beans that join about the importance of home testing!

Paws crossed for a good day tomorrow for you and Lily!

67. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

Not starting out to be a good day. The meter is not registering the sample. I poked her 3 times, got blood, meter just keeps blinking. Even tried poking myself, same thing. Guess I will be buying a new meter. Also used the remaining test strips I had so off to Wal-mart at 7:00 am.

I had to feed her, she was starving and crying and glued to my legs. No shot till I get a good reading.

p.s. my Keurig died this morning too!

68. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I wish I could still have caffeine ...

69. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Let us know what test number you get. I hope you bought lots of strips. I always keep an extra 100 strips around, but that's just me, a worry wort :lol:
    I hope the rest of your day goes better.

70. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

Called the Relion company this morning. They are sending a new meter. Still had to buy another one since I cannot wait until I get the replacement. Well, at least I will have a back up. Lily is not having anything to do with testing this morning. We did not get any blood for the new meter. Giving her a little break before the next one.

71. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

What gauge are your lancets? I have always used the 28 gauge as they are a little bigger and poke a bigger hole. The smaller 31 gauge make a smaller hole and don't work well for us.
    Good luck on your next try, and don't forget the after test treat.

72. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

I just bought 26 gauge, they are bigger than the ones that came with the meter. We just had another failed attempt at testing. I hope I can get a sample in another 30 minutes or so.

73. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

Still no luck, I think I drained all the blood out of her yesterday.

74. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you absolutely must get blood, aim for the vein. Just be prepared to test quickly and blot, as nicking the vein tends to result in profuse bleeding (why we don't normally use it)

75. Deb & Wink

:D :D :D

Well, we know she still has some blood left if her toes and nose are still a nice pink. :eek: :shock: :eek:

Ok, let's see here.

Are you warming the ear? Make a rice sock, old sock with about a couple of tablespoons of rice in it, tie in knot in the top to keep the rice in.. Heat in the microwave for 15-30 seconds. It should feel comfortable on your bare skin. If too hot, let cool a bit. Put the warm sock against the ear to get the blood flowing. Then poke, two pokes really close together while you are gently holding the edge of the ear. Don't flinch, be calm because you need both pokes to be close together. You should get a nice size drop.

Alternatively, you can rub the ears gently between your thumb and index finger. Until they feel warm to the touch. This is what I do for Wink.

Or, some people say they blow on the ear with their warm breath, to warm things up.

I think it's harder to get the blood to flow in this colder winter weather, when the temperature in our homes is lower. Try some of those ideas.

(It's probably not much warmer down there in Seekonk, MA then it is up here in the Newburyport, MA area ;-) )

76. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

Deb: It was 16 degrees here this morning. I do use the rice/sock to warm her ear, but today for some reason, nothing is working. Will keep trying. She has had no insulin since yesterday morning at 6:30. Curious to see what her numbers are without it.

77. Deb & Wink

Take a break from the testing and try again later. You are both probably frustrated and the pokies are just not working.

Could she be dehydrated? Pull up on the scruff of Lily's neck. Does it spring back quickly, or stay up for a bit?

78. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

Not dehydrated, skin snaps right back. What would I do if she were dehydrated?

79. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If the skin tents, that is moderately to severely dehydrated.
    Contact your vet because if it gets severe enough, an IV could be needed (i.e., the cat may need veterinary care)

Adding a little extra water to the canned food can help if it is mild, as can subcutaneous fluids.

80. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Have you tried removing and reinstalling the test strip? My Relion does the blinking thing sometimes too, I just remove the test strip and reinstall it and it works fine. Also keep in mind if you wait too long to get blood after you install the test strip it'll time out and you have to pull it out and reinstall then too.

81. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

Not sure what to do. No blood, no insulin since yesterday at 6:00 am. I have poked her poor ears so much today, and I am not getting enough blood to test. Any suggestions. She is not cooperating any longer and is trying to get away. Frustrated. Should I feed her and test again later? :YMSIGH:

82. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Yes, I say give her a break. You did quite a bit of testing in these last few days. :thumbup Since she hasn't had a shot this morning, I wouldn't worry too much about getting a test in till her next shot time. (When is that due?)

83. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

Her next shot is due now, but I won't give her insulin without knowing where she is at. I have learned my lesson, the hard way, I am ashamed to admit.

I will try again in the morning.

84. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

Good morning All!

Succcess: 141 this morning. She has been without insulin since Saturday at 6:00 am. She is doing great. Will re-test her about an hour after she has eaten, but looks like she won't need a shot again today. Hoping and praying (to St. Francis/St. Jude) that this nightmare will end.

Question; If her number goes up over 200 do I shoot or not. What would you give her if it does. Her dose was 2 units before we had the low numbers.

200-300: half unit?
    300-400: 1 unit??

Help!

Lou Ann

85. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Lou Ann, I do not know that insulin. I do know that the food will probably spike up her numbers and she may be over 200 an hour after eating.
    If her pancreas is working a little bit, her pancreas may produce a little insulin after the food, and thus bring her numbers down by about +3 or +4. If you decide to skip, and are home today to do so, I would try to get a test about 4 hours after the food, so see if she brought herself down.

Great job on the successful test! I hope you gave her some treats and lovings :)

86. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

77 one hour after eating. Definately, NO INSULIN!!

Have to work today, so will retest before the PM dose. Crossing my fingers!

87. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

:thumbup

88. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Looking good! And great job getting the test in! Let us know where she's at tonight!

89. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

Tonight she was at 140. Just fed her, and will retest in about one hour. She is getting use to testing. She just sat there and let me poke! :lol:

BTW, the hokey-pokey song DOES WORK!!

90. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Let's hope she comes down after eating like she did this morning! :mrgreen:

91. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Singing helped keep my mind off the actual task of testing and focused on the words to the song, which made me more calm and in turn made Mikey more calm. :smile:

(Although, whenever I'd hit a wrong note, his ears would flatten back in annoyance. :lol: )

92. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

Spoke too soon. She just wouldn't have it. Will try again in a few minutes.

93. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

Nope, won't co-operate. We will try again in the morning. :sad:

94. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

236! Hope it goes down after breakfast.

95. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

IF it turns out that she needs a little bit of insulin, you are going to need to be able to test her.

96. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

32!! What is going on!! :shock: Not sure what to do HELP!!!

Gave her a few TBS of gravy food. I have to goe to work in 20 minutes. I am afraid to leave her!!

97. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Please change the Subject Line in your first post to something like "HELP just tested 32, need to leave for work!" or start a new thread. This one is getting very long.

Is she eating okay? I would retest and see if the test strip was bad or something. Sometimes we get funky readings.

98. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

I am going to try to get one more test in before I leave in 10 minutes! Hope the gravy food brought her up to a normal range.

99. Mamalou

Mamalou Member

157! Whew. Wish I could stay home to monitor her today. Got to hope the 32 was just a fluke!

100. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Since you have not given her insulin, she should be safe. Some cats just go low without insulin. Maybe the 32 was a bad test strip, but you need to keep her safe. I would leave some extra food out for her, for your peace of mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.