HELP! KETONES in Urine... (ALL BETTER NOW)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BudLt, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BudLt

BudLt Member

Hello Everyone!
    I havent posted in a bit (sorry!) but I am in a panic right now... nailbite_smile
    My Boo has been doing good since being put on Lantis in 11/08 after a DKA crisis and a week in the emergency hospital. For the last few days she has been acting a little bit not herself - just a LITTLE different, but not much, and I have been testing her and her BG #'s have been staying usually between 80-120 and we usually give her 3/4 unit at 11am & 11pm. Lately she has been testing really low in the mornings, so we have not been giving her the shot so she doesn't go to low during the day if we are not around. She did seem a bit dehydrated, so the past 2 evenings, we did give her 50-75 of fluid (we also have a CRF kitty, so we have it on hand). She does eat a little, but not much. I decided to test her urin with the stix, and it tested POSITIVE! I didnt even think to test it before with her numbers being low and not high!! WHAT DO I DO??? :?: Fluid her up? Increase insulin? The vet stay cost us over $3,000.00 my dad helped pay & they wont even take her in without a credit card, & I dont have one! My dad is in the hospital, so I'm at home & gonna go get her some electrolyte fluid to give to her and stock up on some more needles for fluid. PLEASE help... :cry: :sad: (sniffle, sniffle...)

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Re: HELP! KETONES in Urine...

How positive did the ketones test? Trace or more? How old are the strips--that is, how long ago were they opened? They may be stale if it has been more than 90 days. What is her BG level now?

3. BudLt

BudLt Member

Re: HELP! KETONES in Urine...

ok - just wanted to reply quick - i just got back & i am going to test her BG now - the ketones did test more than trace. I had gone to the store and bought a new bottle of strips & just opened them to make sure I got correct readings because the strips I already had had been in the cabinet for a few months and I didnt want to take a chance - I knew they have a short shelf life after being opened. I am going to test her & do a few things with her & get back to update - PLEASE gimme some help! Thanks for your time!!
    Head butts & purrrrrs... from me & my McBooPuff...

4. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.