Help! Low blood sugar! Vet isn’t giving me any help.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ickes, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ickes

Ickes Member

My cat Noah was diagnosed last February with diabetes. We finally got him doing well by switching to all wet pate food and some diabetic dry for treats throughout the day. I thought he was doing great on 4 units but all the sudden he developed pancreatitis and was hospitalized for a week. We brought him home Saturday and he had been doing well except he had 2 low blood sugar readings. This morning it was 57. He ate dry food with Karo syrup and his usual wet food along with some trests as it wasn’t coming up quickly. It had been 3 hours and it is 169 now and he seems very happy. Not sure what to do about his insulin dosage. I don’t want him developing ketones he has been negative or trace since we have been home. The vet sent him home on 5 units only eating twice a day. I knew that wasn’t good but we paid top dollar there and I trusted them. His appetite has been good since he is home. Any advice?

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! You have come to the right place for help and support. 5 units is a large dose, and it needs to be reduced if it is taking his glucose too low. There are a couple of things you can do that will help us help you:
    1) Set up a signature that includes basic info like date of diagnosis, the type of insulin you are using and what kind of meter you are testing with (human or pet). You can look at our signatures to get an idea of the type of info to include. Here are instructions: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/
    2) Start using one of the spreadsheets we use here for tracking glucose test results and insulin doses given (put a link to it in your signature). This is very important. The spreadsheet makes it easier to keep track of things and to see patterns. It is very necessary if you want help with dosing or understanding what is going on with Noah's glucose levels. Here are instructions: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/ And, here is info on understanding it: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

Post any questions you have on the main health forum or on the appropriate insulin-specific forum.

3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome!!

What insulin is he on?

As they've said please post your test results in the spreadsheet but in the mean time and given the fact that he was 57 this morning please do test before shooting him tonight just to make sure is safe to do it and I think you should consider reducing the dose because the 5 units are taking him too low, he might had needed higher doses because of the pancreatitis but now that the flare has passed and he's better he probably needs less insulin.

4. Ickes

Ickes Member

My cat was treated for pancreatitis and dka and now that he home he is having low blood sugars. Has anyone else seen this?

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Pancratitis is painful and can raise the bg. 5 is A HUGE dose. What was his dose before the pancratitis? You need to lower that dose right away

6. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Pancreatitis as with any other illness, inflammation or infection usually causes blood sugar levels to raise, and usually when the infection clears or the inflammation subsides blood sugar levels tend to go down, that is why testing is very important and adjusting the dose (in this case lowering the dose) to the new requirements of his body is also necessary

7. Ickes

Ickes Member

He is on prozinc and 4 1/2 twice a day now but watching him closely. I just fed him again as it was 138 now and he is only half in to the insulin as it don’t ware of until 9 pm. I will do the spreadsheet just haven’t had a moment. Hopefully it is the the flare is over and don’t need as much insulin. He had been on 4 units since August as was doing well until pancreatitis.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  8. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

9. Ickes

Ickes Member

I am going to fill out spreadsheet as we have one at home already. It’s just been crazy! I have a sick kid and Noah home from the vet on several meds. He is doing very well. Appreciate is picking up and I am keeping a close eye on his blood sugars. The vet dropped him to 4 1/2 units and he is eating more but he goes from 476 the highest to to 114 lowest today. He can’t eat twice a day like the vet said and thankfully I didn’t listen because he would have went too low. He eats most with insulin shots and I do check his bg when shots and small amounts a couple times through the day of pate food. Worried about pancreatitis reacurring so need to make sure his diet and bg’s are good. He was doing so well prior to this episode with appetite and hadn’t lost any weight so confused. Testing ketones in urine and trying to be sure diet is good for him. The vet suspects ibd but I am not sure what caused the flare. Appreciate any input and I will get spreadsheet done. Noah weighed 15.6 pounds before the flare and now he weighs 13.., is 41/2 a really high dose?

10. JanetNJ

Your dose sounds like it is too high.

11. Ickes

Ickes Member

I am having trouble figuring out how to do the spreadsheet. I am sure it is because I am too stressed but I need time to sit down and figure it out. Is it difficult or am I just making it hard. I was trying to wait until Noah was home longer but I think I will call a vet who also can help with nutrition and supplements and see if I can get his numbers under control. I was worried he is on too high a dose but both the local vet and medvet says it’s not too high. I am so worried. Any advice on spreadsheet would be helpful.

12. JanetNJ

Are you using a computer or phone /tablet? Did you download Google Sheets?

13. JanetNJ

14. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending a PM...look in your "Inbox"

JanetNJ likes this.
  15. Ickes

Ickes Member

I am using my phone but will get on my laptop later. Maybe that would be easier.

16. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’m also around to help if you need it. Just send me a private message by clicking on “Marje and Gracie” to the left and then “start a conversation”.

17. Chris & China (GA)

Her spreadsheet is set up....just waiting to hear back from her.

JanetNJ and Marje and Gracie like this.
  18. Ickes

Ickes Member

Sorry I got the spreadsheet. I am trouble with Noah going high and then going really low at the end of his insulin cycle. I am at work now and my mom is checking him to make sure he doesn’t go too low. This isn’t normal for him. We have been giving him fluids every other day and checking his ketones with urine strips. I am trying to figure out how to film our the spreadsheet from my phone. My son will help me at lunch today is I can’t. I have the spreadsheet filled out at home so I just need to plug in the numbers. We dropped him to 3 1/2 but not sure what to do. Fed him some pate at 10:00 am and a little dry diabetic food because he was dropping from 194 at 4:45 am then dropped 40 points from 4:45 to 9 :00 to 154 at 10:00 it dropped to 135 and then at 11:15 it was 119 even after I fed him and his insulin is due at at noon which is half an hour away. I am confused why it is dropping when his insulin is wearing off. This has happened every couple days and then it runs I. The 300 to 400 range with same insulin and food schedule. I will fill out the spreadsheet as soon as I get off work.

19. Chris & China (GA)

119 isn't dangerously low....we want them to spend as much time in healing numbers (50-120 with most under 100) so their pancreas can hopefully heal and resume it's work.

Getting the spreadsheet done will really help us to help you. He may need less insulin but without seeing the numbers, we just really can't give much in the way of helpful advice.

20. JanetNJ

These are good numbers

21. Ickes

Ickes Member

That is good information but I don’t understand the spreadsheet. I really want to fill the ss but I don’t know what amps pmp’s Mean. Sorry but the spreadsheet is confusing. I have his numbers and insulin (prozinc) amounts but I don’t understand the spreadsheet.

22. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I know all of this is confusing right now, but it will come together, I promise. FurBabiesMama replied to your very first post here and provided some links. Look back at that post and click on the first link and make your signature. Then Noah's pertinent information is available with each of your posts.
    You say you have created the spreadsheet, but it needs to be linked to the signature, so that it is also available to advising members.
    AMPS means the BG test you got before the morning insulin shot, the morning (AM), (PS for pre-shot), same for PMPS (the test you got before the evening insulin shot.
    Click on this link for a full explanation of the spreadsheet grid: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/
    You should start posting in the Main Health forum now. Click on this link: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/
    More members are going to be checking that forum for people who need help, and as we are still in the holidays, fewer members might be monitoring the entire board. We want you to get the help you need right now.
    So, please make the signature, link the spreadsheet to the signature and begin filling in the data you have so far. If you are having trouble completing the spreadsheet or linking it, please let us know. There are members who are wizard at it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.