HELP: my cat threw up black liquid

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by William Rufo, Apr 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William Rufo

William Rufo Member

I woke up to black throw up all over the kitchen, I've never seen his throw up as black, anyone know what it could be?

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Black vomit might be blood.
    How is your cat? Does he seem unwell?
    Are you able to get to a vet or talk to a vet....?

Edited to add: I'm going to tag @Alexi who is a (human) doctor to see if she can advise...

3. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I would contact a vet right away:

"
    Causes of Black Vomit
    If your cat vomits and the color of the vomit is dark red or black, that typically indicates that there isblood in the vomit. If you notice bright red blood in your pet's vomit, that typically indicates some sort of internal bleeding that is happening outside of the stomach area. Darker red or black vomit is usually caused by internal bleeding in the stomach. The most common cause of this type of bleeding is an ulcer. If you notice that there is enough blood in your pet's stomach to alter the color of his vomit, you'll probably need to be aware that the ulcer itself could be quite serious. This requires immediate action on your part in order to save your pet's health, as the presence of black vomit is a medical emergency."

https://www.vetinfo.com/black-vomit-in-cats.html

Lilian and Critter Mom like this.
  4. Alexi

Alexi Member

Please note I am not a vet and I would always advise to speak to a vet if you are worried. In humans, black/clear/any colour vomit with what looks like tiny bits of black in it 'coffee grounds' tends to be altered blood, usually but not always from the stomach. Black liquid with no bits can indicate problems further down in the bowel. How is the cat? When did he last poop and was it normal? Does he appear hungry? Thirsty? Any information you can give will be helpful. Black vomit is not normal.

5. William Rufo

William Rufo Member

He's at the vet now! Thanks for your responses!

6. Tuxedo Mom

Thanks for the update. Sending prayers for a good report :bighug:

7. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for your kitty. Please keep us updated and let us know how he is! :bighug:

8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for your little one. Will be watching for an update.

:bighug:

Mogs

9. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

@William Rufo ,
    Is there any update on your kitty yet?
    We're all keeping fingers and paws crossed for him.
    And sending a big hug to you, too. :bighug:

Eliz

10. mucacopatarica

mucacopatarica Well-Known Member

We are keeping fingers and paws crossed for your kitty too. :cat:
    Hope you are fine!

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. William Rufo

William Rufo Member

So what we thought was throw up was actually diarrhea. She did blood work and it came out normal. She suggested keeping him in the hospital a couple of days for an ultra sound but I can't afford that. She said his BG of 124 was very low for a pre shot test. So we have to keep him off insulin for a few days then check his BG, she feels it could be an overdose of insulin that caused it or remission, but that's rare.

12. Tuxedo Mom

Thank you for the update! Glad to see that it was "just" diarrhea. However if the diarrhea was actually black as opposed to dark brown I would certainly keep an eye on the litterbox. If you gave a different food than normal that can cause diarrhea in some kitties.

A glucose reading of 124 is NOT very low on a pet meter or vet lab machine. It is actually on the higher end of normal. Did the vet use a glucometer or was that reading from the blood work?

ETA What type of insulin are you using and what is the dosage and what sort of food are you feeding? Are you home testing yet?

13. William Rufo

William Rufo Member

I think considered it low cause I give his shot at 10 am and it was 9 am so I haven't given the shot yet. Also cause sometimes stress can raise the glucose numbers. The diarrhea was black and I give lantus, now 2 units but today and tomorrow we were advised to not.

14. Tuxedo Mom

Stress can certainly raise the glucose numbers. If you aren't home testing yet, then it might be a good idea to skip until you can get a meter. Home testing is very important to see how well the insulin is working and to make sure our kitties stay in safe numbers.

I use the AlphaTrak pet meter but I also have a human meter. The pet meter strips are very expensive, so many of the members here will use a human meter. Human meters read lower than pet meters, but the protocols and information on this site is set up for people using human meters.

I would keep and eye on the litter box and make sure the diarrhea isn't continuing. Prolonged diarrhea can dehydrate a kitty. You might want to add a little extra water to the wet food to get some extra fluids in.

15. Critter Mom

Did the bloodwork include ketone status? How is your kitty eating today?

As well as keeping a general close eye on your kitty if you're not already doing so I recommend that you keep a closer eye on ketone levels, especially while your kitty is a bit 'off' and you're going to withhold insulin for a time.

Mogs

16. William Rufo

William Rufo Member

He's not very interested in food today I'm hoping he gets better

17. Critter Mom

Something on these pages might help:

Persuading your cat to eat

Nausea symptoms and treatments

Simple things like raising his food and water dishes, waking him from a nap and immediately offering food, and warming the food can help a lot. Feeding small, frequent amounts can be a lot easier on the tum, too.

Mogs

18. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

19. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

sending purrs and good vibes for your kitty, and a hug for you :bighug:

20. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

William,
    My kitty Fritz has had black smelly diarrhea. It first started if I remember correctly right after his first few injections of Lantus Feb 11, 2016,while I was shocked I wasn't sure what to do so I just watched for each stool to be back to normal.
    It went from dirreah to black soft stools and with a few almost normal stools. I did take a stool sample in yesterday as they are back to black. The vet said since he wasn't showing any other clinical signs we should keep an eye on the stools and if he shows any other signs get an ultra sound. I feed raw si he asked me to leave our the fresh liver to see if it was causing the black stools.
    I don't know if your kitty is showing signs of a possible gi bleed or anything else.
    I did switch to Prozinc insulin and still black stools.
    I dud call the manufacture of Prozinc only to get the run around, no help ftom them even though it states in the phamplet that came with the insulin in a clinical study they indeed saw black stool. I'm wondering if it's the insulin?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.