Help! My cat was diagnosed with diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by spacey, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spacey

spacey Member

A week ago my cat Spacey was diagnosed with diabetes with bloodsugar over 500. He was sent home this past week on an antibiotic for struvite crystals and Hills SD. I am to take him back this Monday so they can start him on insulin and monitor him. I asked the vet if I would be doing blood sugars on Spacey at home, but he said that I would be bringing him back periodically for insulin adjustments. Any advice would be tremendously appreciated, as I am petrified for Spacey. Thanks

2. Jen and Boo

Jen and Boo New Member

Definately start home testing rge cat's blood sugar. It's easy and much cheaper plus your cat will be safer/

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to FDMB. I am glad you want to hometest. This will help you get Spacey's diabetes under control.

If you have not started already, start reading the info on this site about insulins, diet and hometesting. You do not need your vet's permission to hometest. It is not unusual that your vet is against hometesting. But as many people on this site can tell you, hometesting is very important and may save your cat's life.

Some good insulins that are good to use are Lantus, Levemir, PZI and Prozinc. These are longer acting insulins than Humulin & Vetsulin. If your vet prescribes Lantus or Levemir, ask him to write the script for either the pens or cartridges. The initial cost is more expensive, but it will last you five times longer than one vial since you get five individual pens or cartridges. You also want a low starting dose - 1 unit is a good place to start. If your vet starts any higher, question it.

Feel free to ask us all of the questions you have. We are here to help you.

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

DEFINITELY home test!
    I feel like screaming every time I see a vet say something along the lines of 'naw, just bring kitty back every so often and we will test, do a curve and let you know how it is going.'

Excuse me? Human diabetics test their own BG 5 or 6 times a day at least, so why would my kitty be any different?

Seriously, once you get past your feelings that you are hurting your kitty, testing is easy peasy ... just go to the pharmacy and pick a meter that humans use, like Reliion or OneTouch or some other brand. Also pick up a box of lancets and test strips for whatever meter you get. Alot of people get the Relion as the test strips are cheaper I think, but it's up to you and what is available to you. While you are there, also pick up a pack of Ketostix because with high BG numbers, you want to be testing your kitty for ketones in the urine - even a trace is something to take care of immediately, so you can post online if you have any concerns on your test results.

You load a lancet into the lancet device, warm kitty's ear tip, then poke the ear along the edge with the lancet device to get a drop of blood. You have a test strip put into your meter, touch the test strip to the drop of blood which is sipped up the strip where the meter will then compute and show you a number in the window of the meter. Take a kleenex or gauze and press on the poked spot on the ear to stop the bleeding and also to lessen any chance of bruising and such.

Seriously, my 2 cats SLEEP THROUGH TESTING so there is no way it hurts. You may think it does but just poke yourself with the device. It's quick and relatively painless.
    But it's VITAL to your kitty's health.

Ask your vet how much it will cost to take your kitty in for the curve. And ask your vet how it will help you one morning if your kitty has a very low BG or very high number? All that curve will do will be to show how your kitty is doing on THAT day and while STRESSED at being with the vet for a whole day.

You can inform your vet that you will be testing Spacey's BG at home where it is much more to Spacey's liking and to your pocket book. Tell your vet that you will be tracking all the BG numbers and can bring in a copy for the vet to see on your next visit.

Others have already commented on the insulins; I use Levemir for my two, but I did like Lantus as well. Starting at any higher than 1unit twice a day is too much. Do not go with a higher dose, especially if you are not home testing yet.

For foods, if you are feeding any dry foods at all, even treats, stopping those foods will contribute to better BG numbers for Spacey.
    Here are some food links for you; check the Binky's list for wet low carb foods that are under 10%.
    Binky’s Food Lists

Feeding Your Cat: Know The Basics of Feline Nutrition

Be sure to ask any kind of question you may have; there were always be someone around to give you a reply, even if it's just to direct you to a place or person who can answer better.

Welcome to the site.
    Sorry for my rant!

5. spacey

spacey Member

Thanks so much for the advice and the welcome to the board. I do have experience with diabetes as my daughter is diabetic. I am a little nervous about monitoring my cat as he cannot tell me when he is weak or on the verge of an insulin reaction. Plus, where exactly on his ear do I get the blood sample? On the very tip? And do I use a lancet loaded into a device, or just a quick prick holding the lancet itself? Can I do get blood from anywhere but his ears? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just wondering how will I adequately monitor my kitty. My daughter is grown now and manages her diabetes, so its been a while since I've done this, and never on a cat. I will probably be asking more questions, until I get the hang of it. Again, Thanks

6. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Well apparently I'm not smart enough to figure out how to link it for you. But if you go the the HEALTH LINKS from the main index, there are all kinds of links showing you exactly how to do the pokies. Also you can post where you are located and if there is a board member that is close they may be able to come over and give you a hands on lesson.

Mel & Muse (GA)

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would continue to use the SD food for now. That prescription diet is only for short-term use and is intended to dissolve struvite crystals. Overuse of it can result in the formation of oxalate crystals which can't be dissolved.

8. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.