? Help, my kitty won't eat today.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Darnell & Sprocket (GA), Mar 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi, haven't been here in awhile cause my family was in crisis for awhile, and only so many hours in day.
    Anyway, Sprocket doesn't want to eat today. I have tried 3 flavors, put Fortiflora on it or parmisan cheese sprinkle, he ate a little. Now he won't eat. Can they get nausea? He certainly is acting like that. I put the new flavor food under his nose and the face he gave me looked like he would hurl. He walked away from it.
    He is quiet now. I am scared.

He just went to vet last week n got his frutosime blood test and he was fair, but lower than last time. Otherwise, he was great.
    Suggestions please.

Thanks,
    Darnell

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Darnell,

I'm sorry to hear that Sprocket's off his food today. In answer to your question, cats can very much become nauseated. Here is a useful page from Tanya's Site about nausea and treatments for same:

Nausea symptoms and treatments

Double-check to make sure Sprocket can smell his food OK, too. (Cats won't eat food if they can't smell it properly.)

If you're not already testing urine for ketones at home I recommend that you pick up some Keto-diastix or similar and check to make sure that Sprocket is ketone-free. (NB: trace ketones - call vet for advice and be sure to tell the vet that Sprocket is not eating properly; above trace ketones - medical emergency requiring immediate attention from regular or emergency vet.)

Be sure to let us know if Sprocket is nauseated. We might be able to help further.

Mogs

3. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

To me he looks nauseated. When I put the food dish under his nose, he backed away, n moved from the dish.
    I tried a different flavor he loves, he licked a little then walked away. He was licking his lips a few times before too. He is hiding under the bed. That is not like him. He is always very active and social.
    Vet said I can bring him in at 2:30pm, it's 1:45pm now here.
    I don't have the ketones strips. And I have had issues trying to take the ear glucose test.
    What do you think

4. ja9390

ja9390 Member

Diego did that a few weeks ago. Yes, it was terrifying and stressful and I know where you are emotionally right now. He went almost 4 days without eating so i was having to syringe feed blended up food into his mouth just to put something in his system. I bought all these different foods for him to try including expensive little jars of meat baby foods, etc and nothing. Turned his nose up at it. What eventually ended up happening is when I cooked some lunch for myself that day (it was chicken livers and brussel sprouts because I'm chronically low in iron) he came running. Scarfed down a whole liver. I suggest offering people food first. If I had known I could just go out and buy an entire container of chicken livers for $1.30 and Diego would eat it, I never would have spent $5 on four jars of baby food. If the cat doesn't eat it, keep trying but at least you can eat the food if he doesn't. Another thing that makes him eat is raw tuna steak.

5. Critter Mom

I think you need to get Sprocket in to the vet ASAP. It is VITAL that you ask the vet to check his ketones straight away - don't leave the vet's office till you know Sprocket's ketone status. As a DKA survivor we know he's a ketone-prone cat and you need to keep on top of that - especially as he is off his food. Ask the vet to check his blood glucose during the consult. The blood glucose level may be influenced by vet stress but I think it's important to get some sort of idea where Sprocket's levels are.

If it is nausea, your vet will need to examine Sprocket to see what might be causing it. A blood work-up would be a very good idea. As you've been having problems getting blood glucose tests at home I'm assuming that you don't have much data for Sprocket. If this is the case ask the vet to include a fructosamine test in the blood work-up to get a better idea of how Sprocket's average levels have been over the past week or so.

Ask your vet about Cerenia and ondansetron for nausea. Also ask about an appetite stimulant.

Fingers and paws crossed for negative ketones and for the vet to help Sprocket start eating again. Be sure to let us know how the vet visit goes.

Mogs

6. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Thanks JC & Mogs,
    We did go to the vet. He gave him a shot of Cerenia for nausea, gastro upset, n appetite stimulant.
    When we got home, Sprocket went to the food right away. I am so relieved!
    I still need to get this under control n learn more. It's so complex.
    I am seriously wanting to make some homemade cat food for them.
    JC., just remember no onions or garlic on that liver.
    I don't know if he would eat that. I will have to see.
    His blood glucose was 378. 8 hrs after his shot of insulin.
    Right now, he is sitting in the open window. Yeah! I wish I knew how to get his pics on here to show you.
    I am worried about ketones too because of his crisis last year. The vet told me that ketones start to develop because the blood glucose is too low, and with him number it's good.
    We still have a hard time doing the ear glucose test. Either the machine times out or not enough blood.
    Thanks alot for your fast response. I really need to figure out this website. There is so much information. Its overwhelming.

[to QUOTE="ja9390, post: 1623164, member: 14398"]Diego did that a few weeks ago. Yes, it was terrifying and stressful and I know where you are emotionally right now. He went almost 4 days without eating so i was having to syringe feed blended up food into his mouth just to put something in his system. I bought all these different foods for him to try including expensive little jars of meat baby foods, etc and nothing. Turned his nose up at it. What eventually ended up happening is when I cooked some lunch for myself that day (it was chicken livers and brussel sprouts because I'm chronically low in iron) he came running. Scarfed down a whole liver. I suggest offering people food first. If I had known I could just go out and buy an entire container of chicken livers for $1.30 and Diego would eat it, I never would have spent $5 on four jars of baby food. If the cat doesn't eat it, keep trying but at least you can eat the food if he doesn't. Another thing that makes him eat is raw tuna steak.[/QUOTE]

7. Critter Mom

Delighted to hear that Sprocket's eating again! :cat:

That's not really a good explanation. Typically cats may develop ketones when it's not getting enough food (e.g. nauseated and inappetent), isn't getting the right amount of insulin (i.e. blood glucose levels may be HIGH!) and when the cat has an infection or other systemic stressor/illness.

Here is a forum sticky to help you to learn more about ketones and DKA:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...oacidosis-dka-and-blood-ketone-meters.135952/

Also, this link has helpful information about how to test urine for ketones:

http://www.diabeticcatinternational.com/knowledge/ketones/

It's good to test urine regularly for ketone-prone cats. As I said in an earlier post, trace ketones means you would need to contact your vet ASAP for advice, anything more than trace OR trace ketones and another issue such as infection/illness or not eating and you should seek an emergency consult immediately.

With regard to testing, are you warming Sprocket's ear enough? Or is he just difficult to test? If you can let us know a bit more about what you're finding tricky maybe we could suggest something to help you get more reliable results. In the meantime here are another couple of forum stickies that might help you:

Home testing links and tips

Testing and injecting tips (very helpful diagram of the 'sweet spot' on the ear where it tends to be easier to get a blood sample)

If ear testing still proves tricky it is also possible to get a blood sample from a paw pad. (I don't use this method myself so don't have any tips for you but other members would be able to help you with this if you decide to give paw pad testing a try.)

And just shout if there's anything else we can help you and Sprocket with. :)

Mogs

8. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

How did you fix the liver? Was it cooked or raw? Murphy typically won't eat people food but I'm always looking for something -

9. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Eating spree short lived. At vet his glucose was 378 about 2:40pm. Vet gave the cerenia injection, we came home, he went right for the food. Ate a good amount, maybe half a riskiest candidate or a little more. He took a nap. He normally gets his insulin at 6-6:30pm after his dinner. At 6pm, he wouldn't eat much even with fresh can. I put some treats in the food and he are those and some food around the treats. We took his glucose, 347, so I gave him 2 units of insulin. At night he normally gets 2 &half units. He went to pay down again. About 9pm I tried giving him some warmed up chicken then he devoured last night when we had it, and tonight he ate a few bites then tried to bury it.
    Suggestions please...

10. ja9390

ja9390 Member

It was cooked in a pan with just butter and salt. Glad I didn't do any garlic that time or he wouldn't have been able to share with me. I think it was the aroma of it that perked him up. Once you stimulate the drive to eat, things always go smoothly from there and they keep eating once they start. It's just finding ways to get them to eat..

11. Carol & Murphy (GA)

So sorry this is happening- does he still seem nauseated to you? As I understand it, cerenia is really for vomiting -there are a few other drugs that work really well for nausea -do you have any more appetite stimlants? What about pepcid for stomach acid? Did the vet do any blood work or test for ketones? Do you have the urine strips to test for ketones? I've never done it, but there is a posting about a liver shake for cats who are not eating
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/the-liver-shake-for-sick-cats.30432/ Could Sprocket be dehydrated?

12. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

cerenia should help some with nausea but more for the vomit issue---
    ordanestrom is better for nausea.... they may have a OVC version.... @Critter Mom probably knows....
    Rico gets cerenia 3x (I inject after fluids as it stings terribly if not) a week and ord. every day unless he is eating.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Now, he looks unhappy. He tries to bury the food. Vet said cerenia also has properties for nausea, appetite stimulant,. I have some famotidine I can try to give him. I am not good with pulling cats. Liquid I can do, or even shots now.
    He didn't check for ketones since his glucose was 378. I don't have strips for ketones. I have normal ones but have not used them. I am going to get that special litter box that collects the urine soon so I can do that stuff easier.
    That shake sounds good for him. I will have to get the ingredients first.
    Any other toppings to encourage eating?

14. jayla-n-Drevon

freeze dried treats crushed up can help-1 ingredient like our bites--some use parmesan cheese -
    If the vet gave you some AD you could syringe some into him as it is high calorie mostly organ meat and syringes easily-
    is about 11-12% carbs

15. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Critter mom, or Kayla.
    What is that meds brand name?
    How does that cerenia work on a normal routine?

16. jayla-n-Drevon

Just a side note--1 of mine try to "bury his food" then he eats it??? don't know why??

17. jayla-n-Drevon

Rico is non diabetic but he has CRF and has been getting sub q fluids for 6 years (he is 17) he has nausea mainly due to the CRF even though he is kept hydrated and the cerenia seems to keep him feeling better if I inject regularly when I give fluids-if I skip most likely he will vomit sooner than later. The nausea med ordansetron.
    cerenia injectable is expensive--they do make pills as well and I am pretty sure they are not very expensive-

18. jayla-n-Drevon

I did ask my vet about giving cerenia as routine-he did not have enough data to tell me is there was anything to worry about

19. Critter Mom

This was wrong of your vet. He should have checked for ketones automatically in a cat with a history of DKA and presenting with appetite issues; doubly so for a cat with high blood sugar levels. I did worry about this earlier hence my recommendation that you not leave the vet's office until you knew Sprocket's ketone status.

Ketones develop when the body does not have enough glucose for normal metabolism - IN THE CELLS. If your cat's blood sugar is high then that means there is not enough insulin in the system to allow that glucose to pass into the cells to provide energy for normal metabolism. If the body can't use glucose for fuel it will start breaking down fat for energy and ketones are a product of that reaction. I strongly recommend you get ketone strips ASAP and test for them yourself as a matter of priority - and keep testing regularly.

Cerenia does help some bit with nausea. It works fairly quickly but it peters out fairly quickly, too. After Saoirse's recent op she could not take her ondansetron tablets by mouth so she was treated with daily injections of Cerenia (she has chronic pancreatitis so needs regular anti-nausea treatment). Based on my experience with Saoirse, ondansetron seems to help a lot more with nausea than Cerenia but it can take several doses for it to build up its therapeutic effect (dosed every 12 hours, so can take 24-48 hours). I've read here that it is possible to treat with both ondansetron and Cerenia so you could ask your vet about this. Ondansetron is a human medication so even if your vet doesn't carry it you should be able to get it with a written Rx from a regular pharmacy. The generic is w-a-y cheaper in the UK than the branded Zofran. I assume similar would hold true in the States.

Famotidine can help with excess stomach acidity (can be a problem in some cats if they fast too long). Again ask your vet about this. Ranitidine works similarly but can also promote better gut motility. Down side is that it needs to be given twice a day and it's tricky cutting up the tablets into small enough doses.

There is a lot of information about all these meds at the Tanya's Site link I gave you at the beginning of this thread.

When did Sprocket last do a poop? Constipation can cause nausea. Watch his behaviour round the litter box. The above meds won't do much for the nausea if it's constipation-related. If you think constipation could be a problem then get a vet exam ASAP for Sprocket before doing anything to address the issue - you need to make sure Sprocket doesn't have any blockages. Assuming that blockages aren't an issue, very short term use of Reglan (metoclopramide) can help to give gut motility a boost. NB: Reglan can have some unpleasant neurological side effects so discuss pros and cons with your vet. One or two doses might be all that's needed to 'get things moving'. Thereafter you can look to maintenance treatments (e.g. adding some appropriate fibre to the diet). Lots more info on this topic at www.felineconstipation.org.

Try to do all you can to keep Sprocket properly hydrated while you're working toward a solution to the nausea issue. Even if you get him to take tiny amounts of food from your hand it may be some small bit of help with the ketone side of things but you still need to monitor Sprocket's urine ketone levels very closely right now.

Mogs

20. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Thanks Critter mom, ok, his glucose was 347 last night @7pm, gave him 2 units, he ate maybe a tsp of food overnight plus he would eat crunchy treats, meow mix with soft middles. Called ER vet he went to last year, they said it was ok to give him famotidine so i gave him quarter of tablet @1AM, This morning, got maybe 1tsp of food, wants to eat then buries it. His glucose was 336 at 7am, they said to give him 1 unit, half dose. He did make a good poop about 6ish. I am familiar with Tania s site. It was my Bible with my previous cat, plus support groups. One cat had pancreatitis then CKD took her. Another cat had cancer of mouth, plus two had hyperthyroidism. Would normal pet stores have ketone strips?

21. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Hi Darnell - I agree with Mogs - needs to check for ketones ASAP and also about the hydration issue - can you give SubQ fluids? get the urine ketone strips at any pharmacy - by the diabetic supplies They are not expensive - but you have to catch your cat while they are peeing Would definitely try the pepcid Many vets are now giving cats with GI issues like pancreatitis daily cerenia (or like Murphy 5 days on, 1 day off) - new data shows it is safe. but you need to get your cat to eat - I wouldn't wait too long to try ondansetron (a human prescription drug -give 1/4 pill) and/or appetite stimulant (cyproheptadine or mirtazipine) Did you try the liver shake?

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  22. Critter Mom

Hi Darnell,

As Carol advises above, you should be able to pick up urine test strips for ketones at any pharmacy. If you put some plastic food wrap on top of the litter in Sprocket's litter box that might help with snagging a urine sample. Some people here catch a sample by sticking a ladle underneath the cat when it's peeing.

Good news that Sprocket did a poop. If you keep offering him a little food - maybe from your hand - he might eat a little for you.

I agree with Carol: if the Cerenia's not helping then I think it would be better to talk to the vet about getting some ondansetron today and also keep coaxing Sprocket to eat even a tiny bit. If that's not enough then speak with your vet about appy stimulants. Needless to say if you get trace ketones or higher speak to the vet to get Sprocket seen ASAP.

Please update us as and when you can about how Sprocket's doing. We'll be worrying about you both.

:bighug:

Mogs

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  23. jayla-n-Drevon

Sometimes if I just get a little food on the lip and they get to taste they are stimulated to eat some--or assist feed if necessary...
    Of course nausea med would be beneficial as nobody wants to eat on their own or assist fed if they feel yucky:bighug:

Carol & Murphy (GA) likes this.
  24. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Today (wednesday) was ok. Not good this morning. Got him the appetite stimulant. 1/4 tab every other day. He is 16.2 pounds. He ate about an amount equivalent to a friskies can. I tested him at normal time, his glucose was 411, so I gave him 2.5 units of insulin, Lantus. Since then he ate some treats but just some licks of some food otherwise. I am leaving a message for vet to get blood tests tomorrow. He also had a vaccine last Thursday., a rabies n distemper combo.
    Could that be it? I am thinking it screwed up something. I just want to yell at the vets that are not paying attention to these diseases and learning the new info. I think I will have to change vets, while mine has been great, I don't think he is up to date on diabetes.
    I have not seen him in the litter box yet besides that poop. I like the ladle idea.
    I also gave him a quarter tab of famotidine again about 1:25 am.
    I am scared. My good friend/ex-bf's brother lost one of his cats due to thrombosis of some type.

25. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

What specific stimulant and how many mg?
    Mirtazapine is one stumulate and usually comes in 15 mg tabs and dose is 1/4 of 15 mg ever three days or the new er dose is 1/8 tab every other day.

26. Critter Mom

:bighug: Darnell :bighug:

I really feel for you. I've been scared like that about Saoirse - especially over the last few weeks.

Is there any way that you could hole up with Sprocket and his litter box and sit with him for a few hours till he pees so you can catch a urine sample to test? The other alternative would be to get a blood ketone meter which you use the same way as a glucose testing meter. The test strips aren't cheap but the ability to test quickly for ketones is priceless - especially for a cat with a history of DKA. I got one for Saoirse a few weeks ago and it has proved to be an invaluable help in monitoring her after recent operation.

Re the vaccinations, if you have the name of the combo it would be worth looking it up online to see what the side effect profile is like. Also, it might be worth posting a separate thread about the vaccination combo and asking members here if any of their cats have ever had an adverse reaction to it and what they did to help their cats.

It's good that you managed to give Sprocket some insulin. Be sure to keep an eye on his BG mid-cycle. I don't know whether this might help you but when Saoirse was really nauseated after her op I managed to get her to lick some of the gravy from a pouch of Hill's i/d food from my fingers. The carbs were high but at least it got some bit of food into her system and it helped to tamp down her ketones even though she was eating very little. If you have any cat food with gravy maybe Sprocket might take a little bit of it for you? Other foods that I've seen @Meya14 recommend are IAMS max calorie and IAMS kitten food because they're more calorie-dense than regular cat food, and that can help reduce ketone levels.

I'd also suggest that you keep asking the vet for a prescription for ondansetron. When you see the vet tomorrow ask him/her to examine Sprocket to make sure he's not constipated because that can cause nausea, too. (Might be worth checking whether the vaccination combo can cause constipation.) As mentioned above, very short term use of Reglan (metoclopramide) can help with gut motility issues but you need to first check that there's no obstruction in the gut before giving it.

Sending prayers for Sprocket to start eating ASAP. :bighug:

Mogs

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  27. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

There was another cat here recently that developed DKA from having a rabies shot. You really need to go back to the vet ASAP and -DEMAND- they test for ketones, or get a urine test at home -TODAY-. If it is ketones, every day counts and the earlier you catch it, the better.

Critter Mom likes this.
  28. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Update, Thursday, 3:45pm. Went to different vet, he acted fine, social, loving. Said could also be his teeth, they don't look good. He doesn't want anyone to touch his mouth but most cats don't like it. Blood work done
    BUN=20mg/dl, range 16-36
    CREA = 1.3 mg/dl, range .8-2.4
    BUN/CREA = 15,
    TP = 6.7 :-/do, Range 5.7-8.9
    ALB= 3.1:-/do, range 2.2-4.0
    GLOB= 3.6:-/do, range 2.8-5.1
    ALB/GLOB= 0.9
    ALT= 39 w/o, range 12-130
    ALKP=55w/o, range 14-111

He still won't eat. He looks like he wants to. He stares at it. He sits at the water bowl and looks, slowly drinking, hitting bowl some.

Why do they do this?
    They gave him Convenia ML, 80mg/ml-SQ
    Plus buprenex .3mg/ml. Gave that twice now. Still won't eat.
    Help

29. Critter Mom

Why in Heaven's name won't they prescribe proper anti-nausea treatment?

Did the vet test for ketones?

Carol & Murphy (GA) likes this.
  30. Critter Mom

If no, I strongly urge you to get to a pharmacy, pick up the urine test strips for ketones and test Sprocket yourself ASAP. Stalk the litter box.

31. Critter Mom

PS: We're all here for you and Sprocket, Darnell. :bighug:

32. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Darnell - I agree with Mogs - needs tests for ketones, meds for nausea, appy stimulant. I can't remember but are you giving pepcid?

33. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Hi, not doing well yet. 26 hours now of no meal of food, just a few bites here n there. Drinking water. Had buprenex. 6mg today. They were thinking he isn't eating due to his teeth. I pureed food and also made into liquid. He smelt it and seemed like he wanted to eat but wouldn't do more than a few licks. If it was his teeth then he would lick the food.
    What treatment do they do if he has developed some ketones.? He is still alert and purring. He looked out window alot at home. Almost there.

34. Critter Mom

That can be a symptom of nausea, Darnell, and nausea can be a symptom of ketone build-up, though there's no way of knowing until you test for them.

I take it from your most recent reply that the vet did not test for ketones. If both the vets you have consulted failed to test for ketones in an inappetent cat - especially a cat with a history of DKA - they both made a serious error by not doing so.

If the second vet is now treating for a possible dental infection then he has doubly failed Sprocket by not testing for ketones:

Not enough insulin + not enough food + infection/other systemic stressor => very high risk of D.K.A.

The first vet who told you that because Sprocket's BG is high there is no worry about DKA is WRONG!

------------
    From the Merck Professional Online Manual:

Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is an acute metabolic complication of diabetes characterized by hyperglycemia, hyperketonemia, and metabolic acidosis. DKA occurs mostly in type 1 diabetes mellitus (DM). It causes nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain and can progress to cerebral edema, coma, and death. DKA is diagnosed by detection of hyperketonemia and anion gap metabolic acidosis in the presence of hyperglycemia. Treatment involves volume expansion, insulin replacement, and prevention of hypokalemia.

DKA is most common among patients with type 1 DM and develops when insulin levels are insufficient to meet the body’s basic metabolic requirements. DKA is the first manifestation of type 1 DM in a minority of patients. Insulin deficiency can be absolute (eg, during lapses in the administration of exogenous insulin ) or relative (eg, when usual insulin doses do not meet metabolic needs during physiologic stress).

Common physiologic stresses that can trigger DKA include

• Acute infection (particularly pneumonia and UTI)

• MI

• Stroke

• Pancreatitis

• Trauma
    [Emphasis mine]

------------

I can't stress strongly enough how important it is for you to test for ketones yourself now, Darnell, as a matter of great urgency. Again from your last post I take it that you don't yet have ketone strips at home. Please, please get some today and test Sprocket's urine. You're not getting adequate veterinary support so you've got to do this for Sprocket.

If Sprocket is throwing ketones he will need immediate treatment at the vets to flush them out of his system and also they will need to ensure that he eats and gets enough insulin. If there is a ketone build-up it can very quickly tip over into DKA and yourself and Sprocket have had the misfortune to have already travelled that awful road together: as you already know it's life-threatening and requires intensive care in a hospital setting.

What are Sprocket's blood glucose levels like, Darnell? Are you managing to still give Sprocket any insulin? You've got to manage the situation with your vets to get him food and insulin on board.

Again, I urge you to call the vets again to make a very assertive request for anti-nausea treatment for Sprocket. The appetite stimulant won't be much help if he's nauseated. You are his sole advocate. It shouldn't really be the case but sometimes we as caregivers have to push to get the right support from a vet. Since I joined FDMB time and again I've seen vets fail to provide anti-nausea support for inappetent cats in a timely fashion (and some of those stories didn't end well). Regardless of the initial reason for a cat going off its food, when the cat goes too long without food it can then develop problems with excess stomach acid which is another possible cause of nausea. It's a vicious circle. (As Carol asked above, are you giving Sprocket famotidine?) The vets may argue that they're not sure whether it's nausea and say they're reluctant to prescribe an anti-nausea med. If that is what you're dealing with ask them to spell out in mile high letters exactly why they consider it not to be an appropriate treatment for Sprocket. Also ask them whether giving anti-nausea treatment will do any harm. If they say it won't do harm then put the argument to them that it might do some good - and something has to be done to help Sprocket eat as a matter of urgency. This is not a 'lets wait and see if the antibiotics will help' situation. If you don't get Sprocket to eat on his own imminently then you'll need to either start assist feeding from a syringe or else asking your vets to put in a feeding tube.

In the meantime, keep offering Sprocket the blended food. Dip your fingers into it and try to get Sprocket to lick the food off your fingers. Do it little and very often. Whether or not the problem is his teeth do anything you can think of to get food into Sprocket and post for help here about what to do about with his insulin if you're not sure about that (and Sprocket needs his insulin, too). Any food you can get Sprocket to take while you're trying to get the right veterinary help for him is better than getting nothing into him at all.

I lost a cat to hepatic lipidosis because the self-styled practice "cat expert" hadn't a bull's notion how to treat an inappetent cat and completely failed to treat her as the emergency case she was. She was hospitalised with them for nearly a week and still they lost her. She had no underlying illness and up to that point she had been a very healthy and happy cat. She was only seven years of age.

Initially I didn't get great support for Saoirse's appetite issues when she had her really bad pancreatitis flare. It is through the members here sharing their experience that I heard about ondansetron for nausea and, after losing Danú to lack of food, there was no way I was going to let that happen to Saoirse. I had to repeatedly request the prescription for ondansetron from our vets and eventually they prescribed it for her. That was after she had gone through the unnecessary discomfort of having chronic diarrhoea for three weeks. Ondansetron completely turned things around for Saoirse: it not only saved her life, it gave her back her quality of life. It saved Saoirse's life again in the last couple of weeks when she was struggling to eat after her operation. Saoirse would never have been prescribed ondansetron if I had not fought to get it for her. It would have been a mistake to just rely on what the vets were offering. I think that you are in a similar situation in that you need to fight to get Sprocket the veterinary help he needs.

If I was in your shoes and getting nowhere with the vets consulted thus far I would be looking to find another vet to see Sprocket today. If I hadn't managed to test for ketones myself I would flag up to the vets in mile high letters that Sprocket has a history of DKA and I would insist on their testing for ketones. They may test negative, and that would be great news but it is far too great a risk to Sprocket's well-being not to test for them at all. I would also do my darndest to get a Cerenia injection at the consult (it may kick in faster than an oral anti-nausea med) and a prescription for ondansetron for home use. A vitamin B injection may also help boost appetite a little so I'd ask the vet about that, too. (NB: The branded version of the drug, Zofran, is crazy expensive over here but the generics are very affordable (less than 10% of the branded drug price). There may be similar pricing where you are. Saoirse is on a generic ondansetron and it works really well for her.)

I am praying very hard for you to be successful today in getting Sprocket the help he needs. :bighug:

(Sorry if the above is a bit repetitive/rambling: I'm very, very tired.)

Mogs

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  35. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Rambling is fine. I am so tired, i am brainless. He is in ER vet overnight. Keytones negative. Pray it's not pancreatitis. They r doing ultrasound this morning. Mentioned all everyone has said to them.

I definitely need a new vet. Must say something about his knowledge. He is an excellent vet but not on this condition. How do you say this?

36. Critter Mom

:bighug: Darnell :bighug:

Boy, do I know how that feels. :(

Thanks for the update, Darnell. I'm very, very relieved to hear that Sprocket tested negative for ketones and that he's at the ER vet. They will be able to keep an eye on his hydration and that may also help a lot with any nausea he's experiencing and therefore help him to eat.

If it is pancreatitis, it is treatable. Even the chronic condition is manageable. There are several kitties with chronic pancreatitis on the board, including my Saoirse. She was diagnosed in June 2014. IIRC Elise's Max was diagnosed some time before that.

I know I've posted the nausea page for Tanya's site before but for convenience I'm reposting the link here. I'm also posting a link to the IDEXX treatment guidelines for pancreatitis. I found both resources invaluable when Saoirse had her acute flare not long after her diagnosis and also as a foundation for developing an everyday maintenance regimen for her. I hope they will help you similarly should the need arise.

IDEXX Pancreatitis Treatment Guidelines

Nausea Symptoms and Treatments

If it does turn out to be pancreatitis I strongly recommend that you ask the ER vets to start Sprocket on a course of vitamin B injections as soon as possible. When Saoirse was struggling the vitamin B (cyanocobalamin) gave her a terrific overall boost and helped her appetite, too.

Other key meds:

* ondansetron for nausea (not metoclopramide - see the IDEXX document. That said, a very short course can help with gut motility problems.)

* Cerenia if vomiting is an issue (double-check the IDEXX document and with the vets to see if it can be administered jointly with ondansetron).

* appetite stimulant (I gave Saoirse cyproheptadine - milder and doesn't have the dangerous side effect profile of mirtazapine BUT check with your vet about Sprocket's liver values - a member here reported that caution is needed with cypro if the liver is compromised so best ask the vet.)

* famotidine or ranitidine for excess stomach acid. (Ranitidine is better for gut motility but it is fiddly to cut the small doses and needs to be given twice a day. Famotidine only needs to be given once a day.)

* buprenorphine for pain if needed. (NB: if used at same time as mirtazapine we have had reports here about the bupe and mirt interacting and causing a serotonin syndrome reaction.)

* If diarrhoea is an issue then metronidazole antibiotic is usually prescribed.

Very frequent feeding of very small meals can greatly aid recovery.

Darnell, I hope that you will be able to get some bit of rest for yourself while the ER vets are watching over Sprocket. Sending prayers for you both and also more :bighug:s. Update us as and when you can.

Mogs

37. Critter Mom

If he's not willing to work in partnership with you and the two of you work together to learn more about diabetes, its treatments and how to avoid/treat its complications then, yes, I think a new vet who is more switched on to feline diabetes (NB: not just the insulin side of things - must know about proper treatment of diabetic complications and related illnesses, e.g. DKA, pancreatitis).

Tricky. I moved practice after Saoirse was diagnosed and though I was seriously angry about the fact that they lost one of my cats and failed to diagnose Saoirse's diabetes when I first consulted with them about it they had been some way helpful in the past. It's also a small town where I live so when I moved Saoirse to a more diabetic-aware practice I tried to do it as diplomatically as possible. There are times when our current vets and myself disagree very markedly about things feline diabetes but they're quite good general vets and the main vet who looks after Saoirse is very progressive in his approach. They're also a very caring practice. I would not like to leave them so I do my best to advocate on Saoirse's behalf to try to get them to work with me on her treatment. Most of the time it works. Perhaps you might be able to have a discussion with your current vet about your concerns in an effort to improve the way that both you and the vets might work in partnership over Sprocket's feline diabetes management in the future?

Mogs

38. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Dogs, thank you so much. You have a lot of knowledge. Well it's been a very long week. I need to learn how to put the part of your response that I am replying to in my writings. Did that make sense? Lol
    I did get some sleep the morning he was at hospital. My other kitty, Cordelia, while she was frantic when we got home without Sprocket, she slept in with me till 11am. So glad she listens to us when I tell her he is coming back. She was looking all over for him. She loves her companion so much. She already lost one companion that she was with for her first 15 years of her life plus losing 3 newer housemates in a short time, and her previous owner left her with me but never said good bye to her. She was heartbroken, and she never forgave him even when he visits them now once in a while. So she doesn't need any more loss. So we had some clean up, sleep time.

I will keep your info in case it's needed in any future time.
    Right now, all of Sprocket's tests came back normal. Gallbladder was a little enlarged but not for concern.
    All other organs are normal. No hyperthyroidism, no pancreatitis, no ketones.

They sent him home with 4 days of cerenia, has buprenex if needed for teeth pain, and famotidine 2x a day. And now proviable-dc for a probiotic to get his gut back to normal.
    This morning we had a messy...lol. I have to laugh. I am on phone with vet check checking on him, when he walks in the room from our bedroom,n gives me a little cry. I asked him what's wrong, he walks over to me, I pet his body then move to his tail...yum! Poopy!!
    Soft poop on end of his tail. Luckily I have baby wipes, then had to clean litter box, floor,him, and myself. Plus he had gone under the bed, and I can smell something from under there. So now, when my bf gets home we will have to pick up the mattresses. Fun fun..lol
    And we now have a house showing tomorrow at 2pm, as we are trying to sell it. Lol
    I will write back on the vet topic in a bit. I gotta tackle the mounted of dishes that is out of control now..lol
    Thanks.
    Chat soon,
    Darnell & Sprocket

39. Critter Mom

The joys of critter parenthood! :rolleyes: ;)

I'm glad that Sprocket's got some anti-nausea/antacid support along with the pain relief. I hope it will help him to start eating properly ASAP. Encouraging test results; very glad Sprocket doesn't have pancreatitis and that he's negative for ketones.

Lovely to hear how you and Cordelia were able to comfort each other. My but she has had a time of it! :( A lot of people don't realise just how good cats' memories are, nor do they realise just how much cats understand humans. Both she and Sprocket are
    blessed to have you in their lives, Darnell. They couldn't wish for a better Bean. :)

Be sure to post an update when you get a chance, Darnell. Sending good appetite vibes to Sprocket and some :bighug:s to you.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.