Help!!! My undiagnosed kitty just had a BG 31!!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mary Ann & Baby, Sep 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary Ann & Baby

Mary Ann & Baby Member

Hi all - I just joined this forum because my kitty, "Baby", was just diagnosed with diabetes and has very high BG (in different threads). My other kitty, "Boo", has seemed down in the dumps lately and not eating well since the change in their diets from dry to wet 2x a day because of Baby. I've been checking Baby's BG regularly and just decided to check out Boo and she was 31!!! :( :( Thankfully, I knew what to do... I gave her the Karo syrup, let her perk up a bit, then she ate 3/4 can FF pate. Now her BG is 66. ADVICE????!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2018
    Reason for edit: Removed 911 prefix. Received advice and not a medical emergency.
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I assume that's with a human meter?
    If the cat is not on insulin they can't hypo. Some cats do run low though naturally. The only time a cat can hypo not on insulin is if there's something medically wrong such as cancer. Maybe boo needs a checkup?

Beck, beggargirl, Leah and 1 other person like this.
  3. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

If Boo has not been dx with diabetes and is not being given insulin, she can't hypo. 31 is low, certainly, but some cats run on the lowish side. But if you're worried about other symptoms, get her a vet check up.

beggargirl and JanetNJ like this.
  4. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Janet and I cross-posted saying the same thing... there isn't a lot anyone can add really except to say keep an eye on Boo...and it sounds as if she might not be too happy with the new food so try some others perhaps?

5. Mary Ann & Baby

Mary Ann & Baby Member

Thanks, she also ate more of the FF pate and some additional Purine One dry food that I had leftover and seems fine now. I am on my way to the store to get some Gravy Lovers for her. She hasn't been eating well for a long time since the change in diet. I guess it took its toll and I have to feed her different food than Baby.

6. Mary Ann & Baby

Mary Ann & Baby Member

Yes, the ReliOn Micro. I also read that low blood sugar can occur even after just a few days of not eating, and she certainly has not been eating well for quite some time. On way to store to buy her some Gravy Lovers and will feed her different food than I feed Baby. She has eaten almost the whole can of FF pate right now and some additional dry Purina One and has perked back up. Thank you!

JanetNJ likes this.
  7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I get cranky when my blood sugar drops too. Haha

8. Mary Ann & Baby

Mary Ann & Baby Member

Lol :)

9. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Could you remove the red 911 in the title please? I'm glad all is well.

10. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

I tested my un-diabetic kitty once just for grins and she was 45 on a relion micro. As others have said, if they are not getting insulin, they can't hypo. I'm sure Boo appreciated the extra treats though:)
    If she doesn't like Baby's diet, you may have to feed her differently, you don't want to risk hepatic lipidosis, which can happen if they are not eating enough.

11. Mary Ann & Baby

Mary Ann & Baby Member

Thanks @katiesmom, I'm sure it was because she hasn't been eating enough. However, I looked up hypoglycemia and it says that although diabetes is the most common cause for it, there are other reasons cats (and dogs) can have hypo events.

"While the most common, over-metabolization of glucose is not the only cause of hypoglycemia. Low blood sugar can also occur due to decreased production of glucose by the liver (often caused by liver disease, liver shunts, or Addison’s disease) or low levels of glucose in the blood from starvation or malnutrition.

Other conditions -- such as pancreatitis, kidney failure, and ingestion of toxins (especially antifreeze) -- can also cause blood sugar levels to drop."

12. Lillie

Lillie Member

When I transitioned my cat from dry to wet food he was not very happy about it and didn't eat much. It took a while to find a wet food that he would actually eat enough of to keep his weight up. He still goes to the cupboard where the dry food used to be and scratches thinking by some miracle his dry food is still there.

13. Mary Ann & Baby

Mary Ann & Baby Member

Aww, poor kitty. :( That's so sad. What food did you end up with that he would actually eat?

14. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It’s important that your cat eat at least 75% of calories needed to maintain weight as cats can get a serious disease, hepatic lipidosis very quickly. If the inappetence started before a food change I think a vet check is in order with a test for pancreatitis included. If you have recent labs I’d still have the Spec fPL for pancreatitis run.

15. Lillie

Lillie Member

Mary Ann & Baby- He eats Canidae Pure duck pate now. It has been the best for his IBD so far. He was diabetic but went into remission when I took him off the dry food. It was hard trying to get him to eat only wet food and kind of hard to keep his weight up. He doesn't like the consistency of wet food and sticks his tongue out after he eats. Kind of funny really like he is saying "yuck, where is my hard food?" I hope your civie is ok. Food changes are difficult to make sometimes.

Mary Ann & Baby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.