Help need answers! Super low number!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley's Mom, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

I won't classify this as an emergency but I just tested Harley when I got home from work and pre-meal he was at a 54!
    That is a super low number for him. Is this normal or could it be the meter? I didn't retest cause I had to stick him twice just to get the first reading.
    He and the other cats had cleaned their plates today while we were gone but he was not acting weird or anything.

Remember Harley is not on insulin.

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

if he's not getting insulin, you are fine

(edited because i see now he's not on insulin :) )

3. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

> Remember Harley is not on insulin.

If you're not insulin, you don't need to worry about hypos.

4. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

ok, now for further explanation.

that is actually where he should be running. all my non-diabetics that i have been able to test run high forties occasionally, mostly 50's and 60's so this is actually really good news for you

5. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

he's not hypo... he's hungry. Just feed him. Yeah for Harley!

6. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

Yippee! I was just shocked because he has been much higher than that for the last 3 weeks. I am sure he was hungry and he has been fed. So cross your fingers that he keeps the good numbers coming. :D

7. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

That's a pancreas. :) Woohoo! You're doing great, and so is he.. fingers crossed he keeps holding his own and you may never need insulin for him. He may bounce around a bit but I think you're well on your way to diet controlled at this point.
    dancing_cat

8. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

w00t! Go Harley!

9. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

very solid nondiabetic number. 2 of my nondiabetics test around this number at home every time.
    really does look like the change in food did the trick. remember, tho, not to get complacent. if you give high carb food like dry to harley you will likely start seeing more diabetic numbers. we'd call him a diet-controlled diabetic (unless an infection or something temporarily caused a rise in glucose numbers).

10. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Beautiful number. Keep going Harley!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.