Help! Need dosing advice directions for a co-worker urgenty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Allie & Myrtle (GA), Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allie & Myrtle (GA)

Allie & Myrtle (GA) Well-Known Member

One of my co-workers in a diferent work location has just rung me to say her vet is telling her to start her newly diagnosed cat out on 3 units BID of Lantus because "you dose cats by weight". Thankfully she rang me to check if this was OK and I said "Please no! I'll find you some documentation to give your vet. You need to start low and go slow".
    She is going to pick up the insulin this afternoon in a few hours.

I'm at work and just don't have the time to find something official-sounding about NOT dosing cats by weight - you know, my work-mate's only got the word of a bunch of internet people (who KNOW, but.....)
    Sigh........... this cat won't let anyone blood test him without an anesthetic. he has had a fructosamine test at least, and it was quite high.
    Please help me!

(Sorry I'm panicking.... I'll have a look in the FAQs for a start!! :) )

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

i would go over to lantus isg and ask there or check their documents at the top of the forum and see if it's there. technically i think there is something about dosing by weight though

3. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Tilly Protocol Link: http://www.tillydiabetes.net/en_6_protocol2.htm

Within it there is a statement:
    "Phase 1: Starting dose
    In many cases, the starting dose of Lantus or Levemir has been 0.25 IU per kg of the cat's ideal weight and is always dosed BID (two times a day, 12 hours apart)."

So for a cat with an ideal weight of 12 pounds = 1.25 Units of Lantus.

Hope this helps your friend. Let us know how it goes.

4. Allie & Myrtle (GA)

Allie & Myrtle (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you so much!
    :thumbup
    I have forwarded the info. to her!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.