HELP NEEDED - BRAND NAMES ON THE VET SPECIFIC BG METERS!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ann & Scatcats, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

HELP NEEDED - BRAND NAMES ON THE VET SPECIFIC SO CALLED CAT BLOOD GLUCOSE METERS!

FROM TIME TO TIME, PEOPLE TURN UP IN THE FORUM, HAVING ENCOUNTERED VETS WHO HAVE TRIED TO SELL TO THEM THESE SO CALLED VET SPECIFIC CAT SPECIFIC BLOOD GLUCOSE METERS, CLAIMING THEY ARE THE ONLY RIGHT ONES TO USE FOR CATS.

BESIDES THAT, ALSO EXTRA SH*T EXPENSIVE COMPARED TO ALL OTHER NORMAL METERS WE ALL USE.

I NEED EVERYONE'S INPUT HELP NOW - I NEED THE BRAND NAMES ON THESE VET SPECIFIC CAT BLOOD GLUCOSE METERS.

IF I GET THE PROPER BRAND NAMES, I CAN DO A SEARCH ON MY OWN ON THESE VET SPECIFIC METERS AND CONTACT THE MANUFACTURERS MYSELF WITH SOME I N T E R E S T I N G QUESTIONS TO THEM ABOUT THEM.
    A VERY CURIOUS THING AROUSE PROMPTING IT.

SO REQUEST FOR SPECIFIC BRAND NAMES INPUT HELP.

THANK YOU
    FROM WORLD CORNER SWEDEN

ANN AND THE B O Y S.

2. Ann & Scatcats

ADDED

BOARD STICKY METERS MENTIONS THE BRAND NAME VET SPECIFIC CAT ALPHATRAK

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=70140

BUT QUESTION: IS ALPHATRAK THE ONLY CLAIMED VET SPECIFIC CAT BLOOD GLUCOSE METER BRAND NAME OUT ON MARKET?

WHICH MARKETS? U.S ONLY? AUSTRALIA? NEW ZEALAND? BRIT LAND? U.S VETERINARY MIL WORLD BASES?, ASIA?, EUROPEAN COUNTRIES?
    LET'S NOT FORGET WE ARE AN INTERNATIONAL WIDE SPREAD PAY IT FORWARD PEER REWIEVE SCIENTIFIC VOLUNTEER PROFESSIONAL HELP COMMUNITY, WITH REWIEVE E Y E S ONLY AROUND WERE WE EACH OURSELVES ARE.
    PERSONALLY NEVER WAS 'PERSUADED PURCHASE ATTEMPTED' TO BE SOLD INTO THIS CAT BLOOD SPECIFIC ALPHATRACK AND OTHERS SPECIFIC. SO DON'T KNOW HOW MANY OF THIS CAT SPECIFIC METER BRAND NAMES ARE OUT THERE.

ONLY ALPHATRACK? OR MORE CLAIMED CAT SPECIFIC?

ANYONE?

ANN

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Ann & Scatcats

THANKS! Oh That was t h a t many different claimed cat specific. But thanks, that will be Sufficient.

I'm on to something here - b l o o d wise. Have some other High Tech Blood Read Off Equipment at home - and first only Intended for Fast Critical Simple Non-Invasive Read Off - one High Tech also claimed to be Cat S p e c i f i c Blooooood - and I 'bought their story' until Instant Check Off Calibrate it to Huuuuuuuman Bloooood E q u a l High Tech thing - and found Direct that Blood Iiiiiiiiiis Blood, no matter what P E R S O N L i f e F o r m.

Then i thought, that must go for these various alleged m e t e r s too!

I am Only in the Start Up Investigation for now, so have to Read Up on those mentioned 'claimed' Cat Specific, and then Ambush the Manufacturers for their 'logics'

SO THANK YOU! THOSE NAMED ARE SUFFICIENT TO START WITH.

Hugs to All!

Ann

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

There is the Glucopet
    http://www.animaldiabetes.com/glucopet
    Here is one reason why the pet meters are more accurate:

Blood Glucose Meter for Cats
    Facts:
    Blood has two constituents, the red and white blood cells and the liquid (serum). Blood plasma is blood serum without the clotting factor
    The blood glucose value obtained via laboratory analysis is the glucose level in the serum/plasma constituents of blood
    The glucose is in both the serum and red-blood cells (RBC) themselves. However, the distribution of glucose is different between humans and cats (and dog too)1
    In Humans 58% is in plasma/serum and 42% in RBCs
    In cats 93% is in plasma/serum and 7% in RBCs
    In dogs 87.5 % in plasma/serum and 12.5% in RBCs.
    The point-of-use blood glucose meters (the ones we use at home) all use whole blood.2 However, what specific blood glucose they measure varies with the manufacturer. Some manufacturers only measure the glucose in the serum/plasma. Others lyse (disrupt the cell walls of the RBCs) and thus mix the glucose that was in the RBC into the liquid and thus measure total glucose. The meters then correct/adjust the reading to be equivalent to human blood plasma
    Discussion:
    Since the glucose distribution is different n humans and cats/dogs the resulting BG valve obtained from the human meters will be different that lab values and animal-calibrated meters. Also, some manufacturer's meters will be much different that lab values for animals depending upon which method (lyse cells or only use plasma/serum) they use to measure glucose.

Animal calibrated meters correct the value to be equivalent to lab values.

What clouds any BGs obtained from hand-held meter is that they are only accurate to +/- 20 %. That includes the animal-calibrated meter. Also, do not confuse accuracy with reproducibility. It is expected that one meter with one lot of tests strips to be relatively repeatable, that is if you use the same drop of blood, you BG value will be much close than +/- 20%

References:
    1. WHY DO YOU NEED A SPECIES SPECIFIC METER?

6. Ann & Scatcats

Thank you, Larry!

A follow up question on the Info about the various serum/plasma glucose % concentrations.

Do you have links and Titles to published Scientific studies showing this?

Manufacture studies, or Independent Scientific published studies? I want to read those whole studies saying that.

I contacted Abbott in another matter before this came to my mind. They've previously gave Simba his Precision Crucial Blood B-Ketone meter and besides that here we go Direct Point-To-Care Instant I-STAT on them in Super Emergency with these Direct Emergency Parameters and their Reference Values

I-STAT EC8+ (Venous blood)

Sodium
    Pottassium
    Chloride
    pH (venous blood)
    pCO2 (venous blood)
    Bun/Urea
    Glucose
    Hematocrite %
    Hemoglobin G/L
    TCO2 (venous blood)
    HCO3 (venous blood)
    BE
    Anion Gap

It's Choice of Cartridges, but that is for the Life Super Fast On Spot.
    And their Precision Blood B-Ketone meter used in Conjuction On the Spot.
    In DKA for instance.

I contacted Abbott for their I-STAT and just b l o o d w i s e. I can tell more later if gotten reply from them. But in the Sticky I linked to, someone mentioned AlphaTrack is Abbott's too.
    That's something I don't know of, but will ask them further on in that case.

So Larry, if you can find those Scientfic studies published about that glucose rate in serum/plasma on various different as you wrote, that would be excellent so I can read them.

Trying to Enclose 2 Pictures for Sneak Preview
    The First you can see -BLOOD - GLUCOSE AND BLOOD B-KETONE TESTS

The Second you can't see since the forum claims it's too big, 2592 pixels wide and 1936 pixels high in spite taken with the same camera, but named - BLOOD - BLOOD GAS
    Tried enclose a short 53 second Demo Movie of the Same named - BLOOD - BLOOD GAS - SHORT 53 SEC DEMO MOVIE - but apparently not Viewable uploaded here.
    and is the BLOOD GAS Sp02 measurer on both Cardiocommands Petmap+ and Welch Allyns Vital Signs, and nooooooooo difference between Life Forms, which is claimed.
    So that's why I've turned to Abbott for their I-STAT

I'm designing a Study so already in distant contact with Cardiocommand, Welch Allyn, and will see if Abbott will reply about the I-STAT, and if they do I can bring up this with if they are AlphaTrack owners, and their e q u a l L i f e F o r m s view on the glucose differences you brought up, Larry.

Attached Files:

7. Larry and Kitties

I know of no references of any studies.
    Have you tried Googling? Yo might find something that way.

8. Ann & Scatcats

Will do, Larry, but expect a such search not to yield so much, since manufacturers (and Vets) seem to 'make up' their 'own studies' they never want to be Independently Scientifically assessed/viewed/reviewed :)

9. Larry and Kitties

10. Ann & Scatcats

THANK YOU! Larry!

Forum kicked me out when I wrote a short summary of their for us m o s t i m p o r t a n t new knowledge point outs.

11. Ann & Scatcats

IF this has any Truth in it

In Humans 58% is in plasma/serum and 42% in RBCs
    In cats 93% is in plasma/serum and 7% in RBCs
    In dogs 87.5 % in plasma/serum and 12.5% in RBCs.

We skip the d o g s here Thank You! they are different Omnivores too anyway.

but t h a t 93 % glucose in cats plasma/serum and only 7 % in the red blood cells

T h a t I INTERPRET D I R E C T IN Relation To

1. CATS a n y w a y Obligatory Carnivore low 5-6 pancrea % AMYLASE

2. CATS as HIGH S P E C I A L I Z E D Obligatory Carnivore are EXPERT CELL BURNERS OF ..... N O T GLYCOSE OXYGEN - B U T ADVANCED HYDROGEN!! CELL Breathing instead

This seems I M P O R T A N T FOR THEIR CARE AND P R O P E R FOOD AND L I F E!

12. Ann & Scatcats

PUTTING SUMMARIZING INFO TOGETHER HERE IN RELATION TO METERS

Humans have 58 % of the glucose in the plasma/serum and 42 % in the red blood cells

Cats have 93 % of the glucose in the plasma/serum and 7 % in the red blood cells

1. That should be less than irrelevant for all Reagent test strips that has the porous membrane which separates the erythrocytes so the quantifying glucose analysis is done on the resultant plasma

2. Anemic Hematocrite should be taken into account

3. Internal and External Bleeding/Disease Break Down of Hemoglobin should be taken into account

SUM:

4. Quantifying Blood Glucose Used Methods

Either

4.1 Hexokinase
    4.2 Glucose oxidase
    4.3 Photometric
    4.4 Oxidation-reduced
    4.5 Electrode measured

A Good Staaaaart!

13. Mckenzi

Mckenzi New Member

My old vet sold me A Alpha Trak blood glucose monitor model VBGN223-S1050 made by Abbott Laboratories Inc Alameda CA. (made in china) I bought it in July 2010 for $280.00 I have dealt with it and contacted Abbott for help because it requires a good amount of blood. I just bought A relio-Ultima, because thr strips for AlpaTrak are hard to find and costs over $60.00 for 50. This was the vet told me the only RELIABLE blood glucose meter for my cat.

14. Larry and Kitties

The users guide for the AlphaTrac includes:
    Press m to scroll backward until the number matches the on the
    test strip vial for dogs or cats or package insert for ferret, rat or mouse . The
    AlphaTRAK 2 meter has a total of 99 codes

Note that besides different setting for dogs and cats, there are other one for other animals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.