HELP Needed! Humulin N, 89 at +12

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dd & savannah, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dd & savannah

dd & savannah Member

I'm not sure what has been happening. Savannah's numbers were looking really good and when I got home from work today she was 89 at 12 hours! My husband was home with her for most of the day and said she was fine, she didn't eat that much but was otherwise okay. Here are her recent numbers:

7/7
    amps 344 .5 u
    pmps 320 .5 u
    +3.5 231 none
    +6 258 none

7/8
    amps 398 .5 u
    pmps 201 none given
    +14 .5 u

7/9
    amps 348 .5u given, used a new bottle of insulin
    +3 248
    +6 147
    +8 145
    +10.5 159
    +12 214 none given
    +14.5 .25 u

7/10
    amps 354 .5 skinny
    +4.5 174
    +8 170
    +13 pmps 256 .25u

7/11
    amps 330 .5 skinny
    +6 194
    +12 233 none given
    +13 .25 u given no bg check

7/12
    amps 303 .5 u skinny
    +12 89 none given, gave some carbs
    +13 107 none given

I don't plan on giving her any tonight. If she is above 250, do you think I should just try giving her .25 u until I get another curve done this weekend? Please help!
    The reason I am not changing insulin is b/c she recently had small focal seizures and I don't want to change anything before we have her neuro appt.
    Dianne and Savannah

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

89 is a lovely non-diabetic number. Since you are using Humulin N -- it is completely appropriate to SKIP the shot or wait until BG is up to 200

Enjoy!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Dianne, those are some really nice looking curves so i'd say you are right on track.
    here are 2 questions i have. why are you shooting 1 or 2 hours after am or pm test?
    you can shoot those times especially since you are shooting without retesting.
    i think the 89 you got this evening is a great indication of a working pancrease and possibility for savanah to go into remission at some point. you may shoot at +12 with those 200 + #'s
    and also looks like the .25 was not enough and the .5 was. but tonight that seems a mute point. interesting to watch and see how this kitty does.
    Lori

4. dd & savannah

dd & savannah Member

I guess I just panicked b/c I wished I was home so that I could have tested her... it made me wonder what she could have been like during the day.
    So, to clarify, if she is in the 200's should I give her .5 u, and if she is low again tonight don't give her anything? Maybe she just needs insulin 1x per day?
    I'm nervous to give her .5 since my husband can't test her but will be home. I'm sure she's in the 300's by now since I did not give her any insulin last night. I will test her soon.
    Thanks,
    Dianne

5. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Yes, your plan sounds good -- 0.5u if BG > 200, none below.

If you are going to be home -- let's say you get a 175 on Saturday morning -- you could try shooting 0.25u and test at +4 or +5 to check the response.

If/When you understand more clearly how your kitty is using the insulin, your safe shooting cutoff (currently 200) can be modified.

Hang in there -- it gets easier!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.