Help Needed- Info on Lantus Solostar Pens Needed for Vet To Write Script Today

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ozzy Pawzbourne, Dec 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy Pawzbourne Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm trying to get my vet to give me a script for Lantus solostar pens for Ozzy today. His vestulin is past its expiration date and I want to get him a new insulin for his dose tonight. We want to switch to lantus pens. I talked to the vets office this am and she said the vet wanted to do some research on it first, especially using the solostar pens. I called back 4 hours later and he hasn't had time but she said if I could send him some info on it, I might be able to speed up his review process.

Anyone have some links on lantus and solostar pens that I can send quickly to my vet so he can make a determination to go ahead and give me a script?

Thanks!!!!

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

3. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Squalliesmom likes this.
  4. Squalliesmom

You're welcome, hope it works!:bighug:

5. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Paws crossed!:cat:

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I would also recommend the "Management of Diabetic Cats ..." journal article.

Also here are the AAHA guidelines for treatment of diabetic cats and dogs (2010 - not sure if updated since then but does cover Lantus as a Tx).

https://www.aaha.org/public_documents/professional/guidelines/aahadiabetesguidelines.pdf

Re using syringes for drawing doses from Lantus pens there are pictures in this forum sticky illustrating the technique:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...insulin-info-handling-drawing-fine-doses.151/

(China's Chris has posted better pictures relating to the above. Try a forum search through her posts.)

Mogs

7. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thank you Mogs. I sent him over the Management of Diabetic Cats article and a few other goodies. I'm hoping we can start Ozzy on Lantus tonight. Paws Crossed!!:bighug::cat:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ok, I double posted this thread in the feline health and lantus forums because I was hoping for a quick response so I could get some info to my vet immediately - and you guys/gals never disappoint. Thank you so much!

I sent off several bits of info and am really hoping I'm going to be bringing home a script tonight. Ozzy's vestulin is past its expiration date so I think now is a really good time to make a switch. Paws crossed.

Thanks!

Squalliesmom and Critter Mom like this.
  9. Critter Mom

Fingers and paws well and truly crossed in the Shire ... :nailbiting:

Mogs

Beth 73 and Squalliesmom like this.
  10. Ozzy Pawzbourne

:bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Critter Mom

When I was switching to Lantus for Saoirse I basically presented our main vet with the above document, ran through the dosing guidelines with him, agreed a starting dose, and thereafter he was happy for me to manage dose adjustments and regularly review Saoirse's progress via her spreadsheet and telephone consults should they be necessary.

(Note: He had had access to Saoirse's spreadsheet for several months by that stage and he was confident that I was well capable of managing Saoirse's dosing requirements. I think I'm the first - possibly the only - client at the practice to use TRP.)

Mogs

Squalliesmom likes this.
  12. Critter Mom

Jo, when are you due back to work?

13. Squalliesmom

Same situation here, Mogs. At first, my vet was surprised that I wanted to be so "hands-on" and I'm not sure he was terribly comfortable with it, initially. But he's been great, he just monitors the spreadsheet and leaves me to my own devices. In the almost 18 months we've been going there he has not ever treated Squallie for his diabetes, lol.

14. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Wow! What a great collaborative team. And you're such a loyal devoted pet mom!

What is the recommended starting dose on Lantus? I may need to make a recommendation to him for the start slow go low method in case he doesn't know the dosing guidelines and I need to convince him I will be safe with Ozzy.

15. Squalliesmom

Usually one unit, or less, depending on your current insulin and dose. Remember, too, that Lantus builds up a reserve (depot) over time. Better to start too low and gradually increase than to start out too high and have to worry about imminent hypos!

16. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thank you.

Ozzy is currently on .75 - 1 U of vestulin. Would 1U of lantus be comparable? Ozzy could actually stay at 1U or go up on vestulin because his numbers are just hanging out in the yellows, but he nose dives down quickly into low greens around +2 - +3 so I am afraid to give him more insulin. This is the main reason we want to switch.

17. Ozzy Pawzbourne

We got the lantus!! So excited and scared too (new insulin, new protocols, etc). Will be studying up on the stickeys in the next hour or so because Ozzy's dose is due here soon.

So my vet was really awesome. I didn't get to talk with him when I came in to pick up the script and the syringes, but the vet tech said the Dr. has never prescribed lantus and wanted to learn about it together. He was not sure how you administer it with the pen and said if we wanted to bring the pen back from the pharmacy after we got it, we could experiment together and learn how to use it. How nice is THAT!? Fortunately though, I have all the knowledge I need here and supporting folks to walk me through it.

The vet also wanted me to keep him posted on Ozzy's progress on lantus and send info and photos of him along the way. I am really happy our vet is being so supportive and collaborative even with a medicine he was honest about not knowing a lot about it. Ozzy is their first kitty to try lantus at their practice so he might just pave the way for others. How cool is that. Now let's hope he goes into remission (my dream!!!) and can be a great example for other kitties along the way. I'm thinking of putting together an information package about feline nutrition (they offer Hills and we know that is not the right food for a diabetic cat), home monitoring, and long acting insulin to give to the vets in the practice to share with others. I want to also include a lot of information from this board and encourage others to join as well.

When I went to the pharmacy, I had an awesome pharmacist who was trying to get me some discounts on the lantus. I was able to get $5 off so it was around $85 vs $90 for 1 pen but she said the other place we were trying to get a discount from was closed and we could call back Monday and see if we can get a refund for the difference. She actually quoted me around $300 for the full box of 5 pens with the lantus savings card (which I thought was a pretty good deal), but I just wanted one so I can order at a better price from the Canadian pharmacy for our next order. The pharmacist also said to keep the pen in the fridge the whole time and it will last longer. I mentioned I heard it is only good for 28 days once opened and she said ...nah...that's for sterility purposes that they tell you that. She said keep the cap on and keep in the fridge and it will last for months. She encouraged to do BG checks and if it seems like the numbers are going up or acting funny, to go ahead and refill. What do you guys think about that? Keeping the pens refrigerated (even though we are told they don't have to be once opened) and using a pen for several months?

Ok, off to read stickies. I will probably start a new thread with questions in the lantus forum.

I am really excited for my kitty right now. I love him so much and just want to do right by him!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Critter Mom likes this.
  18. Squalliesmom

Congratulations! I hope the Lantus works wonders for your boy! Yes, keep it refrigerated and it will last for months. You should come over to the Lantus and Levemir board; we post "condos" every day with the day's pertinent information about our kitties. Take a look-see, it's pretty self-explanatory and is a great help!

Happy New Year! :bighug:

19. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks. I'm checking out that board now, too. What is a 'condo"??

Happy New Year to you, too!!

20. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Yeah Jo!!!! Yeah Little brother Ozzy !!! Was thinking of u all afternoon and thrilled for your outcome!!! Looking forward to doing the Lantus journey with you and Ozzy !!! So glad all went easily and well :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

21. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It's just what we call our daily posts......We start a new post every day with the date, cats name, AMPS # in the title and update it as we get more tests in (so it's easy to keep track of how people are doing just by scanning the forum)

Then in the body of the post you put the link to the prior day's post (so it's easy to quickly go back and see what's been going on) and then add any questions, comments, etc about how Ozzy is doing

Read other people's condo's too.....you'll learn from them as well as possibly seeing questions you didn't even know you should ask!!

Congrats on getting the lantus!!!

22. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thank you so much! I sent you a PM when you have a chance. :O)

23. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Wow!! The Lantus forum has really got it going on! I am happy to be joining the party. I feel like we are in the popular crowd now! Haha!

I am very much looking forward to this new switch for Ozzy and learning more about Lantus from all the folks on the board!

24. Beth 73

Chris, are you ready to hold both my and Jo's had thru this switch cos we both LOVE to ask questions !!!!

25. Chris & China (GA)

What do I look like, an octopus??...I only have so many hands....LOL
    [​IMG]

Ozzy Pawzbourne likes this.
  26. Beth 73

You are a hoot!!!

27. Critter Mom

@Beth 73, @Ozzy Pawzbourne -

Wishing you all the best on the L&L forum. I hope both the Buddha Kitteh and Ozzy the Pawsome get great results on their new insulin. Maybe now and again you might let me know how they're getting on.

:bighug:

Mogs

28. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I promise to!!! :bighug::kiss:

Critter Mom likes this.
  29. Beth 73

Oh,Mogs,you can't get rid of us that easily...pretty sure you are stuck with us !!!':bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  30. Critter Mom

I'll miss you both.

:bighug:

31. Ozzy Pawzbourne

We are not going anywhere Mogs!!! Don't be silly! xoxo:bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  32. Squalliesmom

Mogs, come visit all of us at the L&L board! I know everybody would love it if you did! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom and Ozzy Pawzbourne like this.
  33. Beth 73

Mogs, are u kidding??? I'm going to need your input and wisdom led by real life experience....you don't just KNOW about what we are getting ready to do by changing from vetsulin to L , you have LIVED it. I couldn't do it if I didn't think I could still pick your brain(and heart ❤️)

Critter Mom likes this.
  34. Critter Mom

I can't, Lucy. The board is so busy it completely overwhelms my senses; feels like the screen is screaming at me and it literally makes me feel panic-stricken just viewing the thread list.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  35. Critter Mom

If there's anything you think I can help with, post a thread on Health. :)

36. Beth 73

Dearest Mogs, I will coming to you regularly....I could not do without you, Linda and Kris's advice and friendship....I love the bond we have formed...it is beyond special :bighug::bighug::bighug:

37. Critter Mom

Indeed it is, Beth. :bighug:

38. Beth 73

Then we will come to you, Mogs... that is a solemn promise :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom and Critter Mom like this.
  39. Critter Mom

(((Beth and the Buddha Kitteh)))

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

40. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Same here!

In fact Mogs- I have a question for you right now! haha!

Vet gave me the wrong U-100 syringes. They gave me ones that hold 50U vs 30Us. Do you know where I can get a quick conversion or a conversion for the U-40 syringes so I can go ahead and give Ozzy his first Lantus dose!?

41. Critter Mom

Opportunist. :p

That's not a good idea, Jo: the U100 is a higher concentration than U40.

What's Ozzy's weight? Also, did the vet give you a starting dose? Are you doing SLGS or TRP?

ETA - If not currently at his ideal weight, is Ozzy underweight or overweight?

Mogs

42. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I need you to still feel loved! :kiss: No, seriously, I need help!
    We are trying to get an appropriate dose from the U-100 syringe that holds 50U vs the U-100 syringe that holds 30Us. We are thinking of going with a .75U first dose. So we are considering loading the U-100 syringe (50u) to the 1U line marking and squirting out a drop.

What do you think Ms. Master Mogs?

Last time Ozzy was weighed- about a month ago- he was 15.6lbs. I think he has gained a little weight back (he's been eating really good) on the wet food only diet. He was 18-19lbs before the DKA. Vet is NOT familiar with lantus and admitted so but took a leap of faith to let us test it out. Gave 1U as starting dose. Again,....he does NOT know about this insulin or dosing guidelines/protocols.

I think we are going to start with SLGS for now. I'm interested in TRP but need to study it more.

43. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Yes keep your Lantus in the fridge. Looks like you are going to be using very small doses so keeping it in the fridge will allow you to use it up or at least have very very little waste! With Lantus being U100 there are 300u in that pen or the equivalent of 300 doses of 1u each. If doses are smaller which they might be, you'll get even more mileage! I'll be watching your journey too! Happy New Year to you all!

44. Beth 73

Hey Linda !!! Happy New Year to you and yours !!!! Aren't we an exciting Eve bunch.... I love watching it all right here from my couch covered with kitties!!!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  45. Critter Mom

@Ozzy Pawzbourne -

From the FDMB SLGS guide:

Starting Dose:
    • 1u BID if kitty is not on a wet/canned low carb diet
    • 0.5u BID if kitty has been switched to a wet/canned low carb diet
    • If the cat was previously on another insulin, the starting dose should be increased or decreased by taking prior data into consideration
    • Generally, shots are to be given 12 hours apart.
    TRP bases dose on actual weight if a kitty is underweight or at ideal weight. Dose is based on ideal weight if kitty is overweight. (See the TRP sticky at the top of L&L for the calculation.)

SLGS and TRP starting dose also takes into account dosing & data for the previous insulin if cat is switching to Lantus.

If you're following SLGS to start with then with an all wet, low carb diet the starting dose should be 0.5IU BID - possibly modified to take account of Caninsulin data (according to the sticky). Ask for help with dosing on L&L.

If the U100 syringes you've got don't have 1/2 unit markings you will have to eyeball the 0.5IU dose.

Mogs

46. Beth 73

Ahhhhhhhh....more eyeballing ,,,,, I am seriously going to need stronger glasses .....

47. Beth 73

Ok Mogs and Linda ...now I have a question ( even tho our Lantus won't be here til end of week). Vet said to start with .25 .....what do you think of what he suggested ???

48. Beth 73

AND I have zero clue as to what Elmo's ideal weight should be...he has fluctuated all his life. Right now he is looking a bit chunky but so healthy...

49. Critter Mom

Plámáser!

;)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  50. Critter Mom

Completely agree. The Buddha Kitteh is in a very good range on just a small dose of Vetsulin so that needs to have the stronger influence on dose than Elmo's body weight at the changeover.

Remember you're switching to a depot insulin and successive doses will build up in effect as you fill the 'tank'. With Lantus it's much better to start low and adjust upwards as and when necessary.

Mogs

51. MrWorfMen's Mom

Beth, if you have the right syringes with the 30u and 1/2 unit markings, 0.25u doses are a PIA but doable.Given what Elmo has needed Vetsulin wise, I tend to agree with your vet (and Mogs who has now chimed in!)...stick with quarter of a unit.

52. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thanks Mogs. This is truly helpful. So much info in the stickies in the L&L forum and here you are just slapping it down for me!! Much appreciated.

Someone in the L&L forum mentioned .75U might be an ok dose to start with since that was his last dose on Vestulin. I tried to eyeball (i'm getting crossed eyed here now) by drawing up 1U and squirting out a drop, but since the lines on the 50U U-100 syringes are SO small, it probably ended up somewhere between .5 and .75U.

53. Chris & China (GA)

I think it sounds like a good place to start too

Critter Mom likes this.
  54. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I am going to start needing glasses!!

55. Beth 73

Thanks oh great lady of Versailles !!!

56. Chris & China (GA)

I agree on your .75 too....and you can only do the best you can

Marje is one of the veterans around here that helped to teach me what I know, so she's good to listen to

57. Beth 73

Thanks, Linda...yes, Chris told me the exact ones to get from good ole Wally World ....

Critter Mom and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  58. Critter Mom

@Beth 73 -

A thought: Saoirse would get some carryover of effect from Vetsulin into the following cycle. It had an impact on her first Lantus cycle. Just in case Elmo might see similar, it's a good idea to monitor right throughout the first Lantus cycle when you do the switch.

Mogs

59. MrWorfMen's Mom

Oh we call it Wallymart here! HEEHEE!

60. Critter Mom

Try getting a cheap 'n' cheerful jeweller's loupe to see the markings & plunger more easily.

Mogs

61. Beth 73

Ha ! Looked that up, Mogs !!! That's a good one !!!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  62. Ozzy Pawzbourne

My .75 was eyeballed so could have ended up with a .5. Not sure. I tried the best I could. I know I'm not ODing him so that's all I care about with the whole syringe debacle at this point.

Marje has been WONDERFUL!!! All the folks on the L&L board have just rushed right in to offer help and advice. I seriously like love you guys right now!:bighug: :kiss:

63. Beth 73

This, dear Mogs , is exactly what I need to know ....what you and Saoirse experienced in this switch...invaluable .

Critter Mom likes this.
  64. Beth 73

By " thru out the cycle " do u mean to start at 1.5 and then every hour on the hour ??

65. Critter Mom

One of my favourite words. :cool:

(Reminds me of me da ...)

66. AnitaJ

AnitaJ Member

HI,
    I saw your post on Ozzy. How is he doing with his new insulin so Far? Awesome I Hope! Give that cutie a big hug from Us!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  67. Ozzy Pawzbourne

What's that! Haha!

68. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Hi Anita, Ozzy just got his first dose a short while ago so we will see in the coming days!

Hugs to you and your cutie kitty, too!

69. Ozzy Pawzbourne

omg, I feel like a moron because I can't find out the definition online or on google translator. Mogs------ what does it mean!!!??? lol

70. Critter Mom

71. Critter Mom

The internet is your friend, Jo! :)

72. Chris & China (GA)

Not sure where the 1.5 came from, but when you start the Lantus, you might want to do it in the morning when you're able to test throughout the cycle...but no, you don't have to test every hour.....Start with a +2 ....then (depending on what is going on) maybe get a +4, +6 or 7, +9 or +10

Oh...+1.5.....I thought you were talking about 1.5U :eek:

73. Ozzy Pawzbourne

I know what a jeweler's loupe is...it's the 'cheap and cheerful' part I was joking about.:woot:

74. Critter Mom

:eek: indeed, Chris! :)

(The thought it might be dose didn't dawn on me: I've been following Beth and Elmo's progress so I know she normally starts tests at +1.5 in the cycle because Elmo's currently dipping very shortly after dose admin.)

Mogs

75. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thank you MrWorfMen's Mom!! Happy New Year to you, too!

Where's the emoji with the horn hat and drink on this site! :)

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  76. Chris & China (GA)

How about this one? [​IMG]

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  77. Critter Mom

OK, I'll let you off. Just this once!

:D

'Cheap 'n' cheerful' is a British English idiom describing something which is inexpensive, basic/no frills, and does just what you need it to do but no more.

Mogs

78. Ozzy Pawzbourne

He will do! Bwahhahaha...! Too cute!

79. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ah ha! Got it. Sometimes us American's don't always get the British humor! :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  80. Beth 73

Thanks, Chris !!! Told ya I gots lots of questions :rolleyes:

81. Critter Mom

The ol' "two countries divided by a common language" thang. ;)

Mogs

82. Critter Mom

Plámáser is a loan word from Irish.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/plámás

The above is a simple translation of the Irish. The everyday use of the loan word is more nuanced; its meaning is heavily affected by the context in which it is used.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.