Help! Newly diagnosed 13 year old .

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MotherofCats, Aug 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MotherofCats

MotherofCats New Member

HI everyone. I've never done one of these before but am desperate for help. My 13 year old boy has been diagnosed in the last week. His glucose was 380 , he's 9 lbs very thin.. the vet has prescribed him insulin which I'm waiting for it to be shipped once the rx is approved, and the hills rx soft food. Here is a big issue.. he's always hungry , I feed him a can of wet food a day , the Dr said I could split one up into thirds and feed 3 times a day. I have 3 male cats Hercules is a bit obsessed and won't finish his own food , because he wants to move on and eat the others food as well. I've tried separating him and he stops eating until I let him out to roam , then he looks for the others bowls. I feel so frustrated, how often should I be feeding him? How much? What should I feed him, the hills soft food the vet sold me? It seems he's really gouging me with costs. Not helping me with my questions. Sorry to ramble.. I'm just at my wits end trying to keep every one happy. Now the other two really want the prescription food too. HELP PLEASE?

2. apple

apple Member

1 can of food doesn't seem to be enough food. If he's hungry, it's suggested let him eat. Unregulated diabetics need the calories. Food would be pulled up two hours before you test his bg before shots.

Many here feed friskies or fancy feast pate.

Others will be along to offer more help.

Welcome to the group. It's a great place to get information to help you cat.

We encourage posting questions in the main forum, then there is a section for the different types of insulin and you can post to any of those as well.

Looking forward to seeing you in the main health forum.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  3. MotherofCats

MotherofCats New Member

He's eating the dm , in the white can. I was feeding him friskies tasty treasures turkey and cheese before. Can I still feed him that? Or do I need to feed him the hills dm pate? Thank you for answering.

4. apple

apple Member

You are welcome for the answers.

Please copy your post and put it in the main forum. If you are unsure how to do it, I can do it for you.

Question/answer is encouraged to be posted in the other sections.

This is the welcome section.....

You will have more answers and eyes on if this gets moved to the other forum.

Again, welcome!

5. apple

apple Member

6. apple

apple Member

7. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Perscription food is not necessary. Friskies is fine but not the tasty treasure. It must be the pate. Most of us feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate. Here is a good chart. Pick foods less then 10% carb. http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

1 can is not enough of he's hungry and underweight. Try half a can in the morning, afternoon, dinner, and just before bed. Unregulated cats tend to be hungry because they are not utilizing the nutrients in the food properly. They are literally starving.

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

While you are at Walmart getting the pate food, pick up the following

1. Relion micro or confirm meter ($17)
    2. Extra test strips ($35/100)
    3. 28 gauge lancets ($5/100)
    4. cotton cosmetic rounds ($2)
    5. Neosporin ($5)
    6. Treat for yourself.

I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC. Home testing is very important.

10. MotherofCats

MotherofCats New Member

Thank you so much

JanetNJ likes this.
  11. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

canned food with less that 10% of calories from carbs is recommended. Those with less that 8% are preferred. If your previous Fiskies was the pate that is 8% carbs. If it was the one with gravy that is not recommended since that is 17% carbs.
    http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

12. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Seline and Hercules!!

Plenty of folks here to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.