HELP! Not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anne Biddle, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

so Truffles has been without insulin for 2 weeks tomorrow. He’s had amps at 200 odd for the last few days but it’s dropped naturally. Last night 83. This am 335! Should I retest in 3 hours and see what it’s doing. I don’t want to give a shot if he’s going to drop on his own and risk a hypo? Advice please

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

3. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Thanks. I’m swaying towards not giving anything and seeing if he drops as he has been doing. I feel quite sick about it.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I’d take periodic BG readings today and maybe tomorrow to see if he’s trending upward before giving any insulin.

Anne Biddle likes this.
  5. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

That’s my thinking. Thank you for confirming. I know he is having skin issues again so I’m guessing that could be affecting it.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

When are you feeding him?
    Can you give him some food maybe three hours before his AMPS to see if his pancreas will bring down his BSL at AMPS?
    Also record when you feed him during the day and then if you can take BSLs two or three hours after the food it will tell us if his pancreas is working.

7. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

His pancreas does appear to be working as his BG drops after feeding. He’s fed after his am reading and you can see from his ss it starts to drop. I then test about +6 after food more food and then his pm test is at 9 when he has more food. As you can see it steadily drops during the day being 83 last night.

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I did wonder if the AMPS is higher because he doesn't get food overnight. I suggested feeding a few hours before AMPS to see if it might bring down the AMPS number. Do you have an automatic feeder that you could set for early in the morning to open with some food? Would save you getting up.

9. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

He really is fussing about his skin so I’m really thinking that isn’t helping. Plus not having food overnight. I’m usually up early with the dogs so I can give them half their breakfast then and test and feed three hours later. See if that helps

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  10. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

So plus 4 from food dropped to 250 on his own. Happy to see it coming down again. Have given him a small amount of food. Will test again in a couple of hours and he’ll have the rest of his food.

11. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Now down to 168.

JanetNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.