AMPS: 224, +3: 79, +4:110, +6:117, PMPS:140, +2:141, +4:91, +6:96, +9:106; DECREASE?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by DevilPup, Oct 18, 2018.

1. DevilPup

DevilPup Member

Based on where he headed on the 17th above, I don't feel comfortable shooting full dose in 2.5 hours. What do you think? His current dose is 1.25U.
    He is one strange dude...but he has been surfing real close yesterday....I would feed him, but this makes me nervous. I will be out of the house today for about 4 hours and will not have eyeballs on him.

2. DevilPup

DevilPup Member

I'm not sure why no one is replying to this thread. Did I say something to offend everyone? Last time I asked for help, it was Canadian thanksgiving and no help was around; next time it was because I didn't type in Spike's readings in the subject line, today...I'm just not sure why. We are here because we need help. Can you help my cat or at least tell me what I did to offend you? I have kept up his SS, changed his info line several lines to be in the group's compliance...but still no help.
    As I get ready to test him for his AMPS, I posted the original thread over 2 hours ago and no help. What have I done/not done this time?

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello. There are not a lot of people on the board early in the morning.

Since you are following SLGS, Spike earned a reduction with the 79 yesterday. I'd reduce to 1.0 units.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  4. carfurby (GA)

If you are worried about what he'll do today, can you leave some food out for him?

I'll be leaving for work in about 10 minutes.

5. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Hi there, I just got up myself...I couldn't tell what date this help request was for. Apologies. Could you please update your SS and also add the date first in your thread....I'm confused.

But it sounds like Carla has given you the answer about reducing - sorry for the confusion - also you can remove your '?' and Help comment if you're ok with the response..

We try.:D

6. DevilPup

DevilPup Member

Everything is updated...….I update the SS after every test. I cut him down to .50 unit because no one was around.

I have more than one cat, there is always dry out. If I leave wet out, my "forever hungry" cat will eat it.

This morning at 3:30 was the first date/time of my thread......it's all there.

7. Sue and Luci

ok, must be my view of the SS - there is no entry for 10/18.
    There is not date on the thread (this is what I see).
    HELP PLEASE! AMPS: 224, +3: 79, +4:110, +6:117, PMPS:140, +2:141, +4:91, +6:96, +9:106; DECREASE?

8. DevilPup

DevilPup Member

You mean now I have to type the time and date in my subject line? If you go into the thread, I can see it.

Based on where he headed on the 17th above, I don't feel comfortable shooting full dose in 2.5 hours. What do you think? His current dose is 1.25U.
    He is one strange dude...but he has been surfing real close yesterday....I would feed him, but this makes me nervous. I will be out of the house today for about 4 hours and will not have eyeballs on him.
    Spike's SS| 13 yo DSH NM. dx:070918. SLGS Dosing. Lantus Insulin. Relion Meter. 90% wet, low carb pate & 10% dry. Concurrent Illnesses: Chronic Pancreatitis, Chronic Allergic Rhinitis/Sinusitis, Asthma, Anxiety. Daily: Prozac, Flovent, Probiotics. PRN: Ondansetron, Cerenia, Buprenorphine, Ringers, Pepcid & Cyproheptadine.
    DevilPup, Today at 3:58 AM Edit Report

9. Sue and Luci

Ok, I see. Unfortunately with people from all over the globe posting on this forum no one really knows what day 'today' is. Please put a date there. Thanks :)

10. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

How are you doing? How is DevilPup? I am sorry about all the upsetment and problems you have had today... last few hours. I think what Sue is asking is for you to put the date on your thread title followed by name Devil Pup-check out my post title.
    Reason I am sure she is saying this is important is because when you see a thread with a? And then today’s date it will get picked up asap… I understand you were frustrated this morning and I feel bad for you. Let me know if there is anything I can do… I don’t feel comfortable giving dozing advice but let me know how you are doing :)

Sue and Luci likes this.
  11. Krystina & Nelli

Not time, just date...
    ex. 10/18 Nelli AMPS 124
    10/18 HELP PLEASE!

Sue and Luci likes this.
  12. Krystina & Nelli

I am not sure if @Gill & George is around today but if so, she might be able to give you some dosing advice from here :).
    You are doing a great job with Spike:bighug:! Checked out your SS too :)
    Hang in there, I feel youre frustration I genuinely do!

13. Krystina & Nelli

Spike is really very handsome, by the way :)

14. carfurby (GA)

Don't worry about shooting a lower dose. You did what you needed to do to keep Spike safe. Unfortunately there are not always people on the board early in the morning on the east coast of the U.S. Depending on what his PMPS is and how he does today, you may want to go back up to 1.0 units tonight.

It is a good idea to put the date in your subject line so people know they are replying to your current post. Sometimes old posts accidentally get replied to and bumped up.

DevilPup and Krystina & Nelli like this.
  15. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hi Spike and Lu,

Sorry I was about first thing this morning but only briefly, a couple of hours before you posted, I'm in Europe/Spain so I am often about, it just depends on what else is going on at home.

I do agree with Carla, that Spike, on SLGS, earned a dose reduction with that drop below 90, it's quite alright to have shot a one time lower shot if you were going to be away or simply not sure. You should know that the early part of the cycle though (because of the depot) can still be active. So you may still find that he dips into low blues/greens but he will be higher at pmps.

Looking back at how this morning panned out I wanted to point a couple of things out that might help you with deciding what to do should you find yourself in a similar situation.
    • You do a great job with the testing and thanks to the data you got last night you can see that this mornings amps was rising, when you compare it to the +9 you got, that tells us that Spike is approaching end of duration of the cycle, that's when the numbers start to rise as the effect of the shot lessens,
    • we also have to remember that Lantus will take approx 2 hours before the am Lantus shot onsets
    • and you will have fed spike his breakfast,
    All of the above means that by the time the am shot starts to take effect(at about +2), Spikes numbers would likely be significantly higher than the 134 you got at amps. I always found it important/helpful to think about where PS numbers were heading, not only did that help me get comfortable with shooting lower PS numbers, but thinking in those terms also helped me predict when I might see a sharp unexpected fall. So if the +9 last night had been 170 and amps was 134, we have the same ps number, but little warning bells would be ringing and I'd be very sure to monitor early on in the cycle, and be ready to steer with food if needed.
    I do wish I had been about this morning as I would have encouraged you to shoot, the full dose(albeit the 1u), as long as Spike was still feeling well and you were able to get some tests in (looks like you are able to get tests in the am and pm cycles), although he has some sharp dives, often we find (and this has been my experience too) that they don't dive so abruptly when they start from a lower PS.

How is Spike? I see he's been having tummy trouble, is that better?settling down?

16. DevilPup

DevilPup Member

Thank you, I really appreciate your responding. Actually, I used the name DevilPup as my group name, but I am Lu and kitty is Spike.
    I understand about the date. I was feeling frustration because every time I reached for assistance, it was not around, or I was doing something incorrectly according the board's wishes/SOP.

It's not because I'm not getting my way, etc; it is because this is one serious illness. An incorrect decision and I can have a deceased kitty. My original vet was an idiot, who threw this on my lap w/no instructions and prescribed a super high dose to start. (which I questioned him if it were a typo, and he said no) I have since found another, but throughout the years in taking care of my cats with serious illnesses, I have found that nothing quite covers the finer points of sickness like a group of folks who have been there/done that. I look to this Board for experienced guidance, not a decision. I am still reading the material, and some papers over and over again.

Please forgive me if this is inappropriate, but in the morning, I would think most folks are testing/feeding/shooting. Why wouldn't there be folks ready to assist? I just think that is paramount...just my opinion.

Spike is doing well. I dropped him from 1.25U to .50 on Thursday. I thought for sure I would need to raise him, but that has not been the case. As I sit here Saturday night, I know I have a long night ahead of me. His PMPS was 128 and +2 he is down to 80. I decided to give him the full shot of .5U. I will be testing often tonight. He is sleeping now. So he we may need to give him a snack. He really has no normal cycle. He goes up and down as he sees fit. I am just here for the ride.

Thank you for your kindness, it is truly appreciated.

17. DevilPup

DevilPup Member

Thank you Gill. I really appreciate your responding. Spike never does anything uniform or usual with this illness. But I do find that he has been dropping by +2. He did again tonight. I thought I would have had to raise him after I dropped him by .75U the other day, but that has not been the case. He is maintaining on the .5 dose. Tonight at dinner, his PMPS was 128. I shot him anyway with .5U. +2 he is at 80. I will have to watch him closely this evening. I am really hoping he is heading toward the "big prize-OTJ." But with his chronic pancreatitis, I don't know how realistic that hope is.

I do find what you said interesting about "although he has some sharp dives, often we find (and this has been my experience too) that they don't dive so abruptly when the start from a lower PS." I wondered that. I did not see it mentioned in my reading thus far and didn't know if that could be the case. That's important to know.

With Cerenia and ondansetron, we seem to be riding thru the flare this time. But he is also bothered by sinusitis.....which often requires the steam box.