Help Please, testing advice and dosing questions

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Dee Dee C, Jul 23, 2019.

1. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Sometimes the alerts can be delayed and I've had times when I don't get an alert at all. I make it a habit to refresh my screen periodically to ensure I see everything that has come through. Unfortunately it only works for the delays and not for those that seem to go MIA.

I don't think you'll have a problem tonight. While Clarence doesn't bounce too much or for long:rolleyes:, he'll probably be a bit higher tonight.

Clarence, please don't call my bluff! :woot:

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  2. Dee Dee C

Dee Dee C Member

Yep, I refresh it everytime I check, just because I've noticed the alerts won't always show for awhile. :)

3. Dee Dee C

Dee Dee C Member

Please!!

4. Dee Dee C

Dee Dee C Member

Linda, I hope you have a few minutes to look at Clarence's spreadsheet and read my posts in the morning. I also will make comments in the cells with additional information. I'm gonna try to get some sleep in-between testing when I can and, of course, once Clarence is content enough that he is the one in control, I'll maybe get a little more. :arghh:

He started the night with a PMPS of 252 and I gave 1.25 units.

I don't want to over test the poor guy, but luckily he is really good about it, hardly notices at all and usually purrs right through it.

Anyway, I wanted a better idea of any pattern (if there is one), so I tested at +2 and he was at 245 (a very slight drop from his PMPS, but food was in play, so it might be a bigger drop than I think).

I tested at +3 and he was 159 (a drop of 86 from the previous test, so his BG was dropping quickly)
    Fed him the usual way I feed him after his +3 (I often feed him then because it is in the early part of his cycle and I don't want him to be 'famished' and get too agitated when I refuse to feed him in the last 3 hours of his cycle).

More to come later after his next test...

5. Dee Dee C

Dee Dee C Member

It was apparent that Clarence was basically on the same course as this afternoon. I was able to remain calmer and kept him from going any lower than 72. I did do a lot of testing, tho, to make sure. His +6 was 127 and I can tell by his behavior now that he is rising. The spreadsheet with comments in the cells give more info. I'm going to get a little sleep and plan to test him again in a few hours.

So, it would have been better to give him just 1 unit. Depending upon what his AMPS is, I will probably give him 1u in the morning. Thoughts, please?

Update: His +8 is 215, so at this point it is rising slowly.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  6. MrWorfMen's Mom

I agree it would be a good idea to drop the dose to 1u this morning if BG pre-shot is high enough. Clarence seems to be on a mission right now and is earning dose reductions quickly.
    One thing you can do especially at night or if your day schedule requires you to leave Clarence when he seems to be dropping, is to feed him some high carb food. It will bump up his BG and hopefully allow you to get some rest.

While we all aim for those lovely green readings, they do mean more caution is needed and sometimes you have to be selfish about it and either skip or give a big chicken shot (BCS in FDMB lingo) when you know your reserves are dwindling. Remember, Clarence needs you so you have to get the rest you need to stay healthy.

On your spreadsheet, I don't see that reading of 72 you mentioned in your post above. When you are taking multiple readings 20 minutes apart, we stack them in the appropriate cell. Below is a picture of how we post those numbers. You can then colour code the cell manually and I always used the colour for the lowest reading in that cell.

Wally.PNG

7. Dee Dee C

Dee Dee C Member

If you are out there, Clarence's AMPS is very high - 431
    Any dosing suggestions for this please?

P.S. I'll get the spreadsheet changed and stack those additional test readings at some point today. Thank you.

8. MrWorfMen's Mom

You don't want to over react to that high AMPS because Clarence seems to clear bounces fairly quickly and he's been hitting lowish greens the last few cycles, the last on a dose of 1.25u. I'd stick to 1u for now despite that higher BG. Better to dose a bit too low and take it back up later if needed than to be chasing numbers again all day today.

9. Dee Dee C

Dee Dee C Member

Alright. Thanks, I will drop it down to 1 unit and observe what is happening and maybe even get a nice mid-morning cat nap in.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  10. Dee Dee C

Dee Dee C Member

His +3 was 279, so still up there but on the way down, I guess. I still gave him his post +3 test 'second breakfast' and will test again later.

11. MrWorfMen's Mom

That's a pretty good drop for 3 hours. Don't want him dropping faster than that as it will set off more bouncing . Feeding him now is great as it helps to slow down the drop and get more mileage out of the insulin.

12. Dee Dee C

Dee Dee C Member

That is what I was thinking and also what I am hoping. I'm lucky that he is a cat that likes to eat in that regard.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  13. MrWorfMen's Mom

Dee Dee, this thread is getting really long so can you start a new one for tonight or tomorrow morning? Better to keep each thread to 2 pages for anyone trying to help and needing to catch up. I'll keep an eye out for you or you can tag me. :)