? Help Please - Vomit After Breakfast and Injection

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tiger2, Sep 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiger2

Tiger2 New Member

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on the best course of action.

This morning Ben ate his breakfast as normal and we gave him his usual injection of 4 units of Lantus (not prefilled pen) as normal, followed by few liver treats that he loves (as his reward for having his injection :))

Not long after that he vomitted up most of his breakfast, all of our cats do this on occassion (usually because they dont chew properly or have hairballs!!) but he hasnt since his diagnosis just under three months ago.

He has diced raw meat (beef or kangaroo) for breakfast and dinner with Royal Canin dry food during the day

I am now unsure what to do a since he has had his full dose of insulin, but now technically hasn't really eaten.

Do i feed him some more meat now ? Or just keep an eye on him ?

Just consious of not letting his blood sugar drop!!

Thanks in advance.

Helene

2. Daphne

Daphne Member

Hi, Helene! I am sorry your Benny regurgitated his meal.

I would feed him again, but I would divide his usual meal into 2-3 smaller portions and space out the portions by 10 minutes or so. Feeding smaller amounts over a longer period of time can often help a kitty keep their food down.

Do you test his blood sugar at home?

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Lantus has a gentle onset. Let him rest a bit, then offer small amounts of food at a time, and fresh cool water. If you have it, 1/4 of a plain Pepcid AC may help settle his stomach.

Also, here is our information on monitoring and intervening for hypoglycemia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.