Help please

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and little, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

first amps came up LO. Ttotalky not consistent with behavior or appearance. 2 Nd test 133. To shoot or not. Was thinking 1.5 as she is eating now. Last few cycles dose was 3.

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Just a minute....I'm looking at your spreadsheet...

3. Djamila

The last data I'm seeing is from 11/19 AM cycle. Could you take a second and update the last couple of days?

FurBabiesMama likes this.
  4. Lisa and little

Last few entries are not there ... sorry was going to update today

5. Lisa and little

Doing it now.

Djamila likes this.
  6. Lisa and little

Updated. Last night could not get PMPS. Tried 5 x. Just no blood.

7. Djamila

Are you going to be around through +6 today?
    How many hours has it been since the PM shot?
    Have you fed yet?

8. Lisa and little

12 .5 since pm. Will be around till + 5 today. She looks and acts fine. Should I shoot lower?

9. Lisa and little

She just ate. Having a hard time getting blood lately no matter how much I milk it warm up ear

10. Djamila

Add extra water to her food. You most likely aren't getting blood because she's dehydrated.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  11. Lisa and little

What do you suggest for am shot. 3 seems to be the only dose that brings her into the lower 100s yet when I get that # in the am I don know what to do.

12. Djamila

Here's my thinking:
    - if you skip the shot, given your regular numbers she'll probably run high today and feel icky.
    - you've been struggling to get tests though. Shooting on a low number for the first time (even a reduced dose) requires extra testing to make sure she's okay through nadir (+5 is close enough)
    - if you shoot on the 133, there is a chance that she'll head lower and you'll need to steer with carbs. That can be stressful, and Thanksgiving is already a little stressful. Are you in an emotional place where you could deal with that, or would it feel overwhelming?

One cycle isn't going to ruin anything. If the extra monitoring and possible drama feel like too much today, then I would say go ahead and skip and get her back on track tonight.

If you feel like you are ready for it and can get in the extra tests, then I would say try a reduced dose like the 1.5u you were originally thinking. Then make sure you test at +2, and are prepared to test more if she's heading down.

13. Lisa and little

Ok. Worst case I stay home today. She is more important than thanksgiving. Gonna go 1.5. Pray for us.. thank you for your quick responses cat_wings>o

14. Djamila

Please don't stay home!!! If she starts to go too low you just abort the cycle and go enjoy your holiday!

(Abort the cycle = give a bunch of carbs/extra food - it send the numbers high, but it lets you go be with family/friends.)

15. Djamila

I'll be leaving the house myself in about two hours, so if you test right on time and post right away, I'll try to check-in and see where things are headed.

16. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I know you said you are having trouble getting blood, but make sure you have a small blood drop before you touch the strip to it. If you just have a tiny smear or a spot that is pinkish, blood-tinged fluid, you may get a bad result (lower). Just throwing this in since this mornings results seemed a little out of whack... LO and 133 are very different numbers to get in back-to-back tests.

17. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'll be home all day today (we're not doing anything for Thanksgiving) so I'll try to check in on you too.

Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  18. Lisa and little

It’s so not a big deal to stay home. I already messed this up once with a trip and no shots for a while. I’m determined to get her healthy. Again you have been a godsend I could not do this without you. Without this group I would have had a nervous breakdown by now for sure. Happy thanksgiving!!

19. Lisa and little

Thank you so very much. You are all so wonderful

20. Lisa and little

I left that test strip out of the container overnight as I was planning an evening test last night. Could that effect it? I know it says store in container ..

21. FurBabiesMama

I would not think so as long as it was in a dry area at an appropriate temperature.

22. Lisa and little

Hi and thank you for your help and concern. I am almost at the 2 hr mark and she is totally fine. Gonna wait till + 3 to test as I think it will give me s better picture and then again at + 5. Enjoy your day and thanks tons!!

23. Djamila

Please test at +2. How they act is not a reliable indication of how low they are. This is your first time shooting on this low of a number, and you need to make sure she's holding steady or rising at this point.

Yong & Maury GA and Rachel like this.
  24. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear she seems to be okay. However, hypos can happen with no symptoms at all...BG is really the best tool you have. A +2 gives you great info about what kind of cycle you're likely to have...I'd go ahead and test now so you can get a better idea of what's going on.

25. Lisa and little

Sorry. Didn’t see this until now. Just got a + 3. 137 w AT2 147 with insulin X. Will test again at +5. Where should I hope to be at +5 to feel safe leaving?

26. FurBabiesMama

Based on the data on your spreadsheet, it looks like the lowest point has occurred at +7 or so for her before. So, you want enough of a 'pad' that she can still drop some and not be too low. I think about 100ish (w/AT strip) would be the lowest I would be comfortable with at +5 to allow enough room to drop further without concern. You could leave some food out for her when you go, if you are worried. Often, they will eat when they start to go low, and that will counteract it.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  27. Lisa and little

Yes that was what I was thinking. Maybe I give her some food before I leave with some carbs assuming the level continues to drop. What are your thoughts about PMPS tonight? I am gusssing based on the data so far she will be back up to the 250-350 mark. If so do I hold the 1.5 and see how she does or increase ? This is so stressful and tricky

28. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

She was 133 at AMPS right? So she's holding pretty steady so far...that's good! I think around 100 would be good at +5...since the AT runs higher than the human meters. Even if she is lower, you can definitely feed her to abort the cycle and still go enjoy Thanksgiving.

As for tonight...let's see what she does. I think I'd be awfully tempted to stick to the normal dose if she is back in normal numbers and monitor...get a +2 or +3 to see where she's going at least. It COULD be that this morning was a wonky number and I hate to reduce based on one preshot that could be a weird strip/weird something else going on that doesn't really reflect anything, ya know?

29. FurBabiesMama

I agree with Rachel on not reducing based on one wonky number; however, I don't think I would go back to 3 I think I would try 2.75. You went from 2.5 to 3... so, you skipped over 2.75. The very day you went to 3, you ended up reducing to 2.75 for the PM shot, but you went back to 3 the next morning. You did not get a test in at PM yesterday, then you had the low AMPS today. So, it is possible that 3 is a bit too much. If her PMPS is back up into higher numbers, I would go to 2.75 and hold that dose for a couple of days while getting in mid-cycles tests to see the impact. (Some evening cycle tests would be helpful. Maybe you could set an alarm to test during the night or at least test right before bed?) On the other hand, if she surprises you and is still in the 100s at PMPS, I would probably stick with the 1.5 and monitor that.

By the way, don't leave her food with too many carbs if she isn't looking too low at your +5 test. You don't want to push her up more than needed. If she is 100+ at +5, I would just leave regular low-carb food.

30. Lisa and little

Yes. Her numbers have been all over but so have my doses. The 2.75 reduction the one night was just an “ experiment” since her PMPS was lower than usual. Thank you so much for checking on us today. I am quite nervous but feel better knowing you guys are here.

31. Lisa and little

This makes no sense!!! +5 AT2-244 FSX-221. What the heck is going on?? Again the only time I got any decent numbers were at 3 U back in early nov and this AM. What the heck do I do now??

32. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hard to say. It could have just been a bit of carryover from the last cycle this morning and then when that insulin wore off, the 1.5 wasn't enough to keep her down. Honestly, there's no way to know for sure what's going to happen, so when you get a number like this morning, you just do the best you can, which is what you did.

The good news is that she's safe and you've got some good data for the future! Go Thanksgiving, enjoy yourself, and don't worry (I know I know...that's easy for me to say!).

33. Lisa and little

Hugs , kisses and cuddles to you all

34. Lisa and little

Ok. So as suspected PMPS is 373. Shot as close to 2.75 as possible with U 40 with half marks. Did I read someone say there is a conversion for U 100 needles and if so can someone please send it my way? I assume there are more markings on U 100? Thank you all and I hope everyone had a peaceful thanksgiving.

35. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep, there's a chart here: Conversion Chart . I suggest printing it out and keeping it with the syringes...I also suggest putting the u40s in another room completely so you don't accidentally grab the wrong ones! The u100s make it easier to do smaller doses so you can fine tune your dosing. Take a look at the chart and let us know if we can answer any questions about it!

36. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Actually the U100s you want are the ones with half unit marks. Those are the only extra marks but it's the conversion that allows more dose fractions between the whole units. Have a look at the conversion chart and you'll see what I mean.

Rachel likes this.