Help plus 5 at 65

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and little, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

got the same yesterday and fed a snack which jumped up her PMPS. Should I give her a snack or wait and get + 6? She is acting fine. What is the real “ take action” number ?

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

If you are using an AlphaTrak you are at the take action number! I would give some regular food (vs high carb) and test again in 20 mins or so.

3. Lisa and little

Thank you. That’s what I thought. Just weird that she is totally normal

4. Lisa and little

Gave her just a little N/C food. How much do you guys usually give in this situation? Yesterday I think I gave too much as her evening # went high.

5. FurBabiesMama

They do not usually show symptoms until they are in really bad shape. You don't want to wait for it to get that bad, that is why you want to intervene with food.

By the way, 68 is the 'take action' number shown on the spreadsheet. The AlphaTrak2 documentation says anything 65 or below is hypoglycemic. So, you do want to take action anytime you see a number that low. You don't want to give too much food because you want to be able to keep her eating should you have to intervene further if her numbers continue to drop.

I guess you have figured out that the dose is too high and needs to be reduced. Reducing the dose may help you be able to hold more consistent dosing, too. When you consistently have one pre-shot that is much higher than the other, with the lower one really being almost too low to even give a shot, that is usually an indication that the dose is too high. It is best if you can use a lower dose and give it consistently for several cycles.

6. Lisa and little

Ok and thank you for responding promptly. I was orertt sure of the 68 based on the Ss but thought I saw a post recently that said 50. Perhaps that was human meter? You guys are truly the bestcat_wings>o

7. FurBabiesMama

Yes, 50 is the human meter take action number. You don't want to wait for that with yours!!!

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It's been about a half hour. Can you take another reading?

9. Lisa and little

Loud and clear. Thank you so much

10. Lisa and little

+6 after snack 94 will get a plus 7 as well. Thank you for your help and concern

11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

94 is a great, safe number. :)

12. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I suggest you drop to 2.5 u for the next few doses. That was too low today.

13. Lisa and little

Yes. Thank you. 146 at * 7

Kris & Teasel and JanetNJ like this.
  14. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Phew! Well yes that was too low. As for her feeling normal, that's not that uncommon. Some cats have hypos with no symptoms. And really, while 65 IS too low, it's right at the tip of being too low, so probably she felt okay...you just want to intervene when you see that since it definitely means she's heading too far down!

15. Lisa and little

Thank you AGAIN!! Do you think the 146 at * 7 is too much of a jump,.. meaning I gave too much food? I know 146 is a great number but just wondering if I gave too much. Guess we’ll see at PMPS. Had to give her ears a rest for a bit. Thanks again to you and all who have been so helpful and promptly responding. Love you sll

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  16. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I don't think that's too much of a jump (assuming you were just giving low carb food). They tend to jump up after a low number because their body releases extra glucose to keep themselves safe. It's great to see Little getting reductions!

17. Lisa and little

Yes Djamila her regular TIKI cat n/c food. PMPS and AMPS today and in general have remained high. Any suggestions or would you just continue on this path? Today’s mid day’s were:cat:

18. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

103 is a great nadir on an AT2. I do wonder if the dose at 2.7u is a smidge high though. Little may be going a little too low at night. Many cats run lower at night. Given the lime greens even during the day recently, I wonder if she's dropping at night and then bouncing to that 371 this morning. I might lower the dose to 2.5 for a couple of cycles and see what happens. You may have to go back up again, but it might be worth giving it a try and seeing if it helps even things out since she's been a little all over the place lately.

19. Lisa and little

So I’m worried based on last few days numbers while I feel like numbers are better in general so much up and down and today steady 200s from a 400 amps. Is all this high low bad for her? Anyone think perhaps she would respond differently to another insulin or do you guys feel I’m on the right track and should keep at what I’m doing?

20. Lisa and little

What a day... 361 in middle of night last night. Maybe a fur shot this am and based on what I found when I got home.... gonna sat yep fur shot. Bad news is sShe found the hermetically sealed bag of dr elseys clean protein I got as a sample and was knee deep into it when I got home from work :banghead: Maybe even ate some of the bag!!! I am beside myself!! Can’t wait to see tonight’s #. Guessing through the moon :arghh:!!!!

21. Kris & Teasel

It's low carb so it might not jack up her BG too much. I'd be watching for a GI upset though.

22. Kris & Teasel

Try not to get drawn into dose tinkering too much. Keep a dose that generates a dark green. On Dec 14 and 15 you got a lime green in the daytime. That is a signal that the dose was too high and you should have dropped it down a little bit yet you bumped it up at the next dose time on each of those days. I assume that was in reaction to the pink PSs. The efficacy of the dose is based on how low it drops the BG. Don't adjust based on the PS. Those pinks were rebounds from the low greens.

I suggest you try 2.5 u both AM and PM unless you encounter a very low PS OR you don't see good nadir numbers after a few days at that dose. The method of adjusting the dose by a little or a lot in response to the PS is rarely a successful strategy.

FurBabiesMama likes this.
  23. Lisa and little

Thanks Kris. I didn’t realize. I was just going by the PS numbers. What your saying makes sense. I hadn’t thought of it and why would my vet tell me that??!! Rhetorical question obviously. I will give that a try. How long would we want her to be blue or dark green during the day to consider being on the right track.? And geez I hope she passes the bits of bag she ate along with the food.! I feel so stupid. I never leave anything out but she has been so much more herself and not asking for food or searching for it lately that I dropped my guard. I guess the good news is she actually jumped up on the kitchen counter so her back legs must be feeling much better o_O

24. Kris & Teasel

Hey, not to worry. It takes quite a long time to get the hang of this dosing stuff! It's not unusual for PSs to be high-ish even when the mid cycle numbers are nice. Sometimes the PSs lower gradually as kitty's responses become more stable. Here's what ideal numbers would look like:
    • low to mid 200s at PS
    • nadirs in the high double digits to low 100s.
    Your AT meter reads higher so you'd aim for maybe mid 200s at PS and low 100s or very high 90s at nadir.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  25. Kris & Teasel

26. Lisa and little

Thank you again. I could not do this without your help and all the others that have been so kind, caring and prompt to respond. You guys have truly saved me and probably my girl too because if I listened to my vet I may have overdosed her by now.