Help! Problems transitioning to canned food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Constance OBrien, Apr 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Constance OBrien

Constance OBrien Member

Does anyone have any suggestions for help with getting Tigger on wet? I have tried all cans ... all Dr. Lisa's tricks and he will sometimes eat a little sandwhich turkey.
    I switched him to the clean protein as per ya'lls suggestion and his gluecose level is amazing!! Since i took him off of hill m/d Tigger has gone from high 300's to ranging between 80-170!!!
    however he is gaining weight he has gone from 18 to 19.5 lbs and having loose stools in his box and getting it everywhere in the house after he gets out of his box... Man he is stinking the entire condo up!!!

I am desperate to get him on wet and there has to be a solution. I am worried the food is also strong protein but it is working with his sugar going down... HELP guys!!!

2. Constance OBrien

Constance OBrien Member

I do not want him to get urinary issues also like Dr Lisa says I have not given up nor will I there has to be a solution to this !!!

3. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

@Constance OBrien
    I've separated your posts from Dr. Lisa's thread and placed them in Health. They'll be seen there and you'll probably receive more replies with your own thread.

_ Sent PM to Constance

MamaMug likes this.
  4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Constance. It’s been awhile since I’ve read DR Lisa’s transitioning techniques, so I’m not sure what all you’ve tried. I have a kibble addict kitty too and I’ve found a combination of stinky food, and fortiflora has helped him. For stinky, I warm the food and stir it good to release the aroma then add fortiflora on top (I often have to stir several times and add more Fortiflora while he’s eating to keep the smell). It doesn’t work every time, but we’re getting there. I also found some kitties like chunky and others pate. Does your cat show any interest at all in either type of food? Warm chicken breast? Tuna? In the meantime, if he’s gaining too much weight, you need to feed less. That may make him a bit more hungry and more apt to eat the wet. Don’t leave dry out all day, just feed him a small amount after you offer the wet. I put wet out for my cats and only give kibble addict a little dry after an hour or two with the wet.

5. Constance OBrien

Constance OBrien Member

Thankyou Very much!!

6. Constance OBrien

Constance OBrien Member

I have gone through all the wet kinds every flavor chunky pate etc.. I did warm chicken breast i bought fortiflora no luck i put on his paw..
    The only thing that works somewhat is the smoked honey turket I crush the zobliane for his neropathy ... not successful all the time..
    I give him 1/2 cup in the am but not all at once I have been home a great deal so he only gets the remainder when asks for it...
    In the evening dinner time he gets the othe 1/2 cup same way... By 6:00 am he is waking me up to eat... That is when I have tried to give him wet when he is really hungry... I just am at a loss I do not understand why we cannot find something he will eat wet... I have tried everything i can think of and every suggestion from Dr. Lisa... I need him to get on wet somehow... My other cat is now eating the wet but she is easy...
    UGH! There has to be a solution I have not tried people tuna I can try that

7. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Try sardines or chicken liver too. If he likes either you can mix it into the cat food. Maybe cut back on the amount of dry and don’t always give it to him just because he asks.

8. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

Just some scattershot suggestions, though from your previous thread I think you've already tried some of this...

Have you tried different brands? Do you have any sense of whether you have better luck with patés or not? Fish or meat?

Do you have a speciality shop nearby that will sell individual cans of some of the premium brands, like Weruva and Tiki Cat? These two have product lines that include pieces of meat/fish suspended in a broth/gravy. Holistic Select makes quality patés.

Try grinding up some of your Dr Elsey's and put it on top of the wet food. Not ground to powder, more like peppercorn size. Not mixed in, but as a topping to the wet food. That was the only way I could get my guy to eat wet when he went on strike for kibble after dental surgery.

Do you know the Orijin freeze-dried treats? Try crumbling up some pieces of Original flavor and gently tamping the crumbs/flakes into the top of the wet food. I've had consistent success with this when my cats are feeling picky about what's served.

Have you tried putting a little bit of kibble right next to a serving of wet food? If hungry, the cat may move over to the wet when the dry is gone.

Hope something here helps.

MamaMug likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.