? HELP! Received Levimir with bubbles?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Deena and Malby, Mar 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deena and Malby

Deena and Malby Member

Hi there,
    I just received 3 bottles of Levimir and I am concerned if it is okay to use....
    I haven't used Levimir yet (was going to switch from a Lantus once current vial is done) so I don't know how it is supposed to look once it arrives but it has bubbles in it where the air should be. Please take a look at the photos and let me know.
    Some info: it arrived within 48 hours of it being sent and was sent in an insulated styrofoam box with ice packs.
    I purchased if from Sue over at the Diabetic Cats in need. She posted she had several bottles for sale several weeks ago.
    I've had Vetsulin and Lantus shipped to me and it has never had bubbles in it. I'm concerned :/

Deena

Attached Files:

2. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

I just switched to Levemir also and I got mine from a local pharmacy. It had bubbles also, but they were larger. It took several days, but for the most part the bubbles settled. It is just difficult to draw a dose without air bubbles.

3. Deena and Malby

Deena and Malby Member

Thanks for the response...How long has Chubba been on the Levemir? Is it working okay even with the bubbles? Like did you see any change in his numbers? Also, just curious if you started him at the same dose or a lower dose? I've heard mixed things about Levemir being more potent...

4. Chubba (GA)

Gizmo’s only been on Levemir for a few weeks. He was already in a free fall in dose before starting Lev, but his numbers seem more stable since starting Lev (less bouncing - actually pretty much no bouncing). :)

I was told to start at 70% of his Lantus dose. The vet told me start at half. It was a pretty crazy time (check out his spreadsheet 3-8-18). I was on 6 units, then 4 units of lantus. I started Lev at 2.5 and then quickly reduced to 2 units. Now he is down to 0.25 units. So he didn’t exactly follow any rules. :cat:

Deena and Malby likes this.
  5. Deena and Malby

Deena and Malby Member

Hey I just noticed Chubba is an acro like Malachai. Did you get SRT done? I didn't see anything posted thatnyou have. I noticed he is using Cabergoline so I'm wondering if his reductions are possibly due to the Cabergoline working for him?
    Malachai was on Cabergoline for about 4months. We went from 8 units in that time to 18 so I started weening him ofnof it about 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately, it didn't work for us.

6. Chubba (GA)

Just the cabergoline. Sorry it didn’t work for Malachai.

7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

@Deena Traina

I also got lev from Sue. It arrived Wednesday. With the vials the bubbles are ok. So don't worry about it. The bubbles in mine are now gone. Olive just started on lev and of course I expect a few days of highs since the depot hadn't had time to fill. Again normal.

8. Deena and Malby

Deena and Malby Member

O
    Thanks for your response. I actually just sent you a personal message. It's just that everything I have read (from doctors) say that froth that doesn't settle usually means it has been excessively shaken and that there has been a protein breakdown so the insulin has been damaged. It was stressing me out because I don't want to start him off on a new insulin that isn't even working.
    Can I ask you how many days it took before his numbers started to normalize AND, did you reduce his starting dosage? I've heard that Levemir is stronger and you should start at a lower dose. Thanks again for your response. Makes me feel somewhat better!!!

9. Deena and Malby

Deena and Malby Member

How long did it take for the bubbles to go away?

10. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Phoebe was on lantus a little over a year and miserable. We only know this because she is doing so much better on levemir. She is a high dose and on lantus we were at 24 units 2x a day. Since we switched to lev, we did 70% of 24. And now are down to 4.5 units 2x a day. It's been a miracle for Phoebe, only wish I had switched earlier.

11. Deena and Malby

Deena and Malby Member

Can you scroll up towards the top of this thread and take a look at the picture of the Levemir vials I received please? They have frothy bubbles at the top which still have not gone away :( I'm hearing mixed reviews on if the vials are still good or not. Have you ever received vials that have looked like that before? Not sure if I should use them but I really wanted to get homnof Lantus asap. Thank you!

12. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes I saw them and perhaps they were jerked and shook. If you start using then you could tell by the bg number coming up and down. It was immediate the difference in Phoebe. I got pens, not vials. But seems it needs to sort it out.

Deena and Malby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.