Help-Tom has black tarry stool

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amy & Tommy, Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy & Tommy

Amy & Tommy Member

tommy has been having some constipation problems for at least a week, he was straining to produce hard coal pebbles. So we started some miralax Friday and also started vetsulin Saturday. He was begging for food every two hours all weekend and sleeping a lot of the time. This morning he was straining so hard that he vomited and hid for most of the morning, only coming out to strain over puppy pads without success. He was worked into his vet this afternoon and received subcutaneous fluids and an enema. He came home and started having sticky black tarry stool in small amounts. We have put him in the tub and sprayed his bum with warm water three times as he obviously has some hemorrhoid from this morning. His tummy is still slightly tight and he did come out from under the bed to poop a little very dark in the makeshift litterbox I put in my bedroom. We've just given him some bupe and 1/2tsp miralax diluted in syringe and another 1/4 cerenia. He is meatloafing and seems weak. I do not have the funds to visit the emergency vet, but is there anything I can do? So worried he has an upper GI bleed.

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you and Tommy are going through this! Unfortunately, it's not an area where I can offer much in the way of advice, except to keep monitoring him closely and call his vet in the morning, if you don't have the funds to take him to the ER vet tonight. What has his diet been like lately? I know if my cats eat venison they will have nasty, black, tarry stools.

I will keep Tommy in my prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Teresa & Buddy likes this.
  3. Amy & Tommy

Amy & Tommy Member

Thank you, I really don't know what else to do besides pray. His diet has been fancy feast classics for maybe the last 4-6weeks and friskies pate before that. We did abruptly stop the dry kibble at diagnosis. We have been trying for almost six months to get his BG under control. I really am hoping there is another reason, any other reason for this.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  4. Squalliesmom

Maybe whatever they used in the enema is causing his stool to be black and tarry? Please keep us updated on how he's doing and let us know what his vet says. :bighug:

Amy & Tommy likes this.
  5. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Pain meds can cause constipation, In humans I know, I’m assuming in cats too

Teresa & Buddy and Amy & Tommy like this.
  6. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Maybe the miralax and fluids are helping some old poop to finally work it’s way out? How is he now?

Amy & Tommy likes this.
  7. monty_dweezil (GA)

monty_dweezil (GA) Member

Bupe is an opioid which can cause constipation.

I think black tarry stools tend to mean old blood, not new, so not any issue lower down in that poop function area. More likely some bleeding higher up, and then sitting there for too long, due to the constipation, and ending up black. But I really don't know.

If he seems in pain and not able to get out much of what's in there, he may have some sort of fecal compaction. Or maybe an ulcer?

Ultimately, he needs the vet, poor little furbaby.

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree that this is something that should be checked by your vet. Why not call to see if your regular vet can squeeze you in so you don't have to pay extra for the ER vet. Black tarry stool usually indicates bleeding higher up and that can be anything from a stomach issue to bowel inflammation due to IBD.

9. allison and Bubbles

allison and Bubbles Member

you said he had an upper GI bleed...has this been addressed?

10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It could also just be from the Miralax. If I take something like pepto (tmi warning) I get dark green or blackish stool. Maybe call the vet in the morning and see if you could just bring a sample to test.they can look at the sample and see if it contains blood or if there's some other reason for the color.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  11. allison and Bubbles

sry..you SUSPECTED an upper GI bleed...so did I when you described black tar looking stools...this

Amy & Tommy likes this.
  12. allison and Bubbles

janet thank you...always coming to the rescue...thank God for you...you help so many ppl with your extensive knowledge...I am starting to comprehend just how scared ppl can get about this illness and all its quirks...you are an angel to help these folks...

13. JanetNJ

Kind of you to say. The collective experience, knowledge, opinions and suggestions is what makes this forum work.

14. Squalliesmom

Is there any update on Tommy?

Amy & Tommy and Tanya and Ducia like this.
  15. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

This is just my exsperience, Giving miralax to Phoebe caused her to have the blk tarry poos. We switched to benefiber and it stopped. We thought it was blood as well and did numerous tests on her fecal matter. Nothing was found. Good luck with your furbaby!! Head bumps !

16. Sharon14

How’s Tom?

Amy & Tommy and Tanya and Ducia like this.
  17. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

Giving the bupe will make him more constipated. If kitty is still constipated, I would try a baby size suppositorie.
    I have had a bleeding ulcer, this is something you do not want to play around with. I would at least take a stool sample in for the vet to look at. My stool was black, not almost black, but black. Good luck, what ever you do.

18. Amy & Tommy

Amy & Tommy Member

Good morning all, thank you so much for all of the input. Apologies that I did not respond during the week, I did not receive email notifications of alerts. I prayed and cried myself to sleep Monday night. It has been a horribly stressful week, but Tommy is doing so much better!

I have been consistently updating the notes on his spreadsheet -probably easier to check there rather than me retyping everything. I think the enema was very traumatic for him. I did find online (maybe at the felineconstipation.org) that even simple diabetes can cause it -which STILL isn't under control by the way! I kept in communication with his vets (yes now two of the practice's ladies are involved in his care) and they did not seem surprised about the black tarry stool. Just "oh is he still having that?" with a head nod, and a surprise look when I hypochondriac-ly gush about a GI bleed. Their biggest concern was if he was eating, which his appetite came back 24 hrs after the enema.

Today -5days later, he is looking really good although thin since no longer bloated. Current concern is his constant hunger, probably due to the uncontrolled diabetes. I'm going to call the vet today and hopefully get an answer on increasing the vetsulin. It's been one week, and not sure why the vet thinks only 1 unit is good to "get into his system" for two weeks then recheck curve (her instructions) after increasingly higher doses of Pro zinc has yielded no results. Now almost 6months after diagnosis, I feel we haven't seen any real progress in treating the diabetes yet we've had a host of other problems arise because of it. We scheduled to have his dental done April 18th to see if anything there could be an issue. Trying to stay hopeful that any one thing could turn this situation around and his diabetes can be managed.

19. Sharon14

I’m so glad he’s better! Will you be able to get some midcycle numbers this weekend?

20. Amy & Tommy

Amy & Tommy Member

Good idea, surprised vet didn't suggest, had thought about it but of course his comfort has been top priority (among the million other things going on in our life), will discuss with vet today to plan if continues. His stool when he emptied bowels was hard and black but not tarry, then more tar last night in litterbox
    yes I can, do you think an increase is in order? I did receive the 40u syringes with half marks from ADW

21. Sharon14

With out midcycle tests it’s hard to tell if an increase is needed, but given his history I think those tests will tell us yes. Let’s see what the days numbers are. Have you spoken to the vet about it?

22. Amy & Tommy

Amy & Tommy Member

I did mention his numbers being relatively the same, nothing below 260 when speaking with the tech, but the vets only addressed the biggest concerns this week- constipation, stool condition (not really answered), appetite and hydration.
    I will get more mid cycles today, tonight and tomorrow. I wonder if the vet wants to do the two weeks at same dose before curve or adjustments to ensure no bouncing or rule out prior bouncing?
    You are right regardless, more data collection is in order to determine anything. I am probably rushing things.

Sharon14 likes this.
  23. JanetNJ

It's more accurate to do the curve at home

24. Amy & Tommy

Amy & Tommy Member

Yes I know, thankfully learned that here :cat: , and have made his vet aware that we will be doing PS, mid-cycle, and curves at home. Your video has helped tremendously!

25. Kris & Teasel

I'm glad Tommy is doing better. :) We worry about all the kitties here. Constipation is a common problem for diabetic kitties. I think they get dehydrated easily from all the peeing and not enough water stays in them to keep stools the appropriate softness. Do you add extra water to all wet food meals? That can help.

26. Amy & Tommy

Amy & Tommy Member

Yes we do add water to all the feedings, and had increased from 1/4tsp to 1/2tsp miralax this last week. I didn't give him any miralax this AM because his tummy seemed empty, but after his +3 snack (water added) he is tight tummy again. I guess we should continue miralax until we maybe see really loose stool?

27. Kris & Teasel

I don't have experience with kitty constipation so I don't know what to tell you. Maybe start another thread about that and put the blue question mark icon at the front of your thread title?

Amy & Tommy likes this.
  28. Amy & Tommy

Amy & Tommy Member

Will do, thank you Kris. Running out for errand now and hopefully pickup something from vet for stool sample. Back in a few

Teresa & Buddy and Kris & Teasel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.