Help us pick a glucose tester?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Classic_Cool, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classic_Cool

Classic_Cool New Member

Hi, my girlfriend's cat Lucky just got diagnosed with diabetes and I'm helping her research the treatment options. I discovered she could use a typical human tester but alot of the info I find on specific models is out of date.

I've just come from Wal-Mart after writing down every model they had in stock, could some of you point out the best model to get? Thanks.

ACCU-CHECK AVIVA
    ACCU-CHEK COMPACT PLUS
    ACCU-CHECK AVIVA NANO
    ONETOUCH ULTRASMART
    ONETOUCH ULTRAMINI
    ONETOUCH ULTRA2
    BAYER CONTOUR
    BAYER BREEZE 2
    SIDEKICK
    ORACLE
    FREESTYLE FREEDOM LITE
    FREESTYLE LITE

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

hi there

looks like one of the best ones and least expensive for strips is out of stock - the Relion meter, is a very popular choice as well, they have the Relion Micro meter and the Relion Ultima, if you're interested in this one, you may have to check other Walmart locations, I believe it is only available at Walmart and maybe Walgreens, and online.

Unless you are not in the U.S, it's only available in the U.S

here is the Consumer Reports meter review comparisons, might help you out with picking a meter that is reliable:
    http://docs.google.com/View?docID=dd5ck ... on=_latest

The Freestyle Lite is ok, and the One Touch is really good too, I've used both of those,,,,both with a bit pricey strips, but very popular as well.

3. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

I use, and love, the One Touch (both Ultra and Mini), and it always tested well next to the vet's tests.

4. Classic_Cool

Classic_Cool New Member

Sorry I should've specified, we're in Canada. So the Relion is out I guess. Two votes for the Onetouch, sounds good so far ;-)

5. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

ah there you go, no Relion for you - unless you know someone in the U.S or you're taking a trip down there.

So your in Canada, whats the least expensive meter & strips in Canada? It's usually the True Track, but as you can see in the Consumer Reports reviews - it does not have a good rating, and has been known to be inaccurate. I have that one too and used it very briefly before I found out about its inaccuracy.

If there is a Shoppers Drug Mart near you, you can get Optimun points with their points card, plus you can redeem points on those supplies.

6. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

I like the Freestyle Lite best, myself. The strips aren't the least expensive, but they're not bad online. The meter requires only 0.3uL, which is the smallest sample any meter requires.

The Accucheck Aviva is very easy to use, but it does require a 0.6uL sample, which is somewhat larger than the Freestyle. The strips sip so well that the larger sample isn't a problem, though - every little bit of blood is sipped up, which isn't always true of the Freestyle. This meter is also perhaps the best if you have any difficulty with your hands (such as arthritis). It is extremely easy to handle.

I find that both of these have good accuracy compared to lab tests.

For almost any strips, online is the way to go. Usually half or less the price they cost in stores. ReliOn is the exception here.

Some really like the Maxima AST, which requires a 0.5uL sample and is quite inexpensive. I haven't used it, so I can't speak from personal experience about accuracy or ease of use. I believe you can get it from Hocks.com (link at the top of this page - they pay FDMB an 8% commission on sales through this link).

7. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

I wouldn't trade my Asencia Contour for anything!

8. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

I love the ReliOn Micro!!!

9. KarenRamboConan

Meters are cheap in Canada! The One Touch sells for under $10 at WalMart here (you'll pay $40 at Zellers or Shoppers). Check the weekly flyers, and nearly every pharmacy is offering a free meter with purchase of strips.

I'm in Nova Scotia. If you PM me you mailing address, I can send you a coupon for a free One Touch (you do need to buy the strips).

Where are you? (You can just tell us a general area/city) There's a lot of Canucks on this board - someone may be close enough to give your girlfriend a hand with home testing, etc.

10. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

I've been using the Maxima AST on the recommendation of someone else on this board and haven't had any problems with it...but then again, I've only been using it for a little over a week, and the cat hasn't been back into the vet's for tests again for me to compare to.

The Maxima AST only costs $5, and the strips are $16.49 for 50. I believe there is a bulk order discount, but I don't know what it is. I've ordered both from Hocks.com and the orders are shipped out pretty fast.

11. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

12. KarenRamboConan

Just to note, Hocks does not ship to Canada. :sad: Your best bet for strips is to buy them at a store where you have a rewards program card (like Shoppers or Zellers) so you can cash in and get a free order every now and theni.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.