? HELP, weird BG curve, how much insulin do I give?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by fatcat, Aug 28, 2018.

1. fatcat

fatcat Member

Did a BG curve on Tige today. Started over 400, gave him 2 units, and cut his food from 2/5 cans FF classic pate chicken to 2 cans. He really didn't drop much. His nadir was at 8 hours -- it was 270. I just did his 10 hour test and he's only at 283. I will do another at 7 when I feed him, but what's going on? Why is his nadir so late? I gave him two or three low carb treats each time I tested him. Could that have affected his numbers?

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

No, the treats shouldn't have affected his BG as long as they're low carb. Nadir is a moving target...it can change over time and it can be at any point during the cycle. Remember, since you didn't get a +7, it might have been lower then too...nadir is usually from +5 to +7 so that would be normal. And even if it wasn't, it's fine for it to be at +8. Some kitties simply have earlier or later nadirs for whatever reason. It's really completely fine for it to be at +8. :)

As for how to dose him tonight, that's going to depend a bit on his BG. My guess is it will keep going up (as it should!). You could try 2.25 tonight if you can get some tests in. I'm a bit hesitant due to those blues the other night, but that may be due to his BG being so much lower that night. He's higher than that already and will most likely continue up, so you could increase if you can get at least a +2 to see where his BG is going. You just want to be sure that he doesn't seem to be dropping like a stone. I don't think he WILL from that increase, but it's good to check during an increase.

3. fatcat

fatcat Member

His PMPS was 14. I gave him his 2 units. He ate 1.5 cans of food. I called vet, they said do a test at 9 and 11 and if he goes to 5 to feed him and give him corn syrup. I only have honey, so that willl have to do. :( Let's hope he doesn't drop too much!!

4. fatcat

fatcat Member

Sorry, 14 is mmol/L. It was 255.

5. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Hi. Try not to worry too much ahead of time (easier said than done, I know!). The data from 2 nights ago (when you shot 2 units on 225, so lower than tonight) show that Tige did very well, so that’s good to keep in mind.

As for honey, that’s what we have! (Josie actually likes it ... at least she begs for honey graham crackers, the little weirdo! :rolleyes: ) Syrup or honey, the important thing is that it’s pretty much straight “sugar.” :)

6. fatcat

fatcat Member

I will try to not worry. Thanks Jenna Josie :)

7. fatcat

fatcat Member

2+ reading is 293. It's going up. Shouldn't it be going down?

8. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

It's not uncommon to go up at +2 because they have usually eaten a fair amount of food around shot time. We call it a food spike. If they're going down at +2, it often means you're going to have an active cycle (lots of insulin response). If they are flat or higher at +2, it usually means you can go to sleep and not worry.

Of course there are exceptions because these are cats, but most of the time that pattern works. :cat:

9. fatcat

fatcat Member

So at 4+ he is 17.3. I guess I can go to sleep. :)

Djamila likes this.