? Help with Carb Count please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Marylou and Malika, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marylou and Malika

Marylou and Malika Member

Feline Natural - New Zealand. Can someone do the math on this one?

Guaranteed Analysis

Minimum Crude Protein: 9%
    Minimum Crude Fat: 5%
    Maximum Crude Fibre: 0.2%
    Maximum Moisture: 82.5%
    Calorie Content ME (kcal/kg): 862kcal/kg
    Calorie Content ME (kcal/cup): 146kcal/cup
    Minimum Taurine: 0.1%

Typical Analysis
    Calcium: 0.33%
    Phosphorous: 0.28%
    Potassium: 0.19%
    Chloride: 0.09%
    Magnesium: 0.02%
    α-Linolenic acid: 0.05%

2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Marylou and Malika likes this.
  3. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

3.29% wet carbs/19% dry carbs 'without' the ASH content being consider which makes the dry carbs too high for a diabetic cat BUT if you add your typical 2% average ash content that canned foods have in them, then it is 1.29%/7% and good for a diabetic cat. If you can find out the ash content in the food and it is at least 1.5% then it will be at the 10% dry cab matter max recommended for our sugar cats.

4. Marylou and Malika

I'm checking with the company on ash value. It comes in on the high side at 10%. However, I gave some to her last night (I've run out of options!) and she loved it! I haven't seen her this perky in a few months!

Veronica & Babu-chiri likes this.
  5. Marylou and Malika

I'm a bit confused. What would the carb be on this? They claim very low. The 'quick' calculator gave it 14g. I have no idea on ash, but plugging in some guestimates still leaves this high.
    Does anyone have advice? I've been crumbling this on top of her wet food to get her to eat it.

MEAT AND PROTEIN-RICHMade with 100% meat, ORIJEN treats feature a Biologically Appropriate™ protein content of 45%.

LOW-GLYCEMIC
    Your cat’s natural diet contains few carbohydrates, so why include them in her treats? That’s why we make ORIJEN treats free of any grains or carbohydrates – just the goodness and taste of pure and natural meat.

Crude protein 45 %
    Fat content 35 %
    Crude fiber 1 %
    Moisture 5 %

6. Veronica & Babu-chiri

If you add this percentages they total 86% you maybe you will have to contact the manufacturer to give you the full content so that you can calculate the actual carb content more accuratedly

7. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Hope they get back to you because is hard enough to get the numbers right with all the information and you are missing about 3.2% of something that could be ash but who knows in the mean time is a very good step that she's eating and wet instead of dry so you are on the right path

8. Marylou and Malika

Yes, she's giving me a run for my money this week. She had an 'episode' last week, and hasn't been eating well every since. (Error on insulin while boarding).

9. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

agree that is confusing! it says free of carbs so am tending to believe origen on that one, if there are any it will be under 1% imo.. went and looked at the freeze-dried treats we have of other brands and seems it is normal for 10-30% to not be included in the analysis with these freeze-dried treats. i have whole minion freeze-dried treats and clearly there are no carbs in them or anything else (but, perhaps preservatives) but, the analysis totals on them is 24% less than 100%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.