Help with dosage

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Stella and Ciara, Dec 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stella and Ciara

Stella and Ciara Member

Ciara is not at all well cannot walk at all now and her numbers are not that high so not sure it’s the diabetes
    She was 17.7 this morning and 17.1 tonight with no insulin today
    Gave .5 tonight as I feel she seems better without much
    Not sure how to do it really but have been going between 1.5 and .5 for about a month now

2. Stella and Ciara

Stella and Ciara Member

She did not eat earlier today so I could not give her a shot
    She did tonight so I injected

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Stella. I am so glad you came over to Health.

I am also so glad you are home testing Ciara because that will help you to keep Ciara safe and provide you with data to help her. Can we get you to set up a spreadsheet that we use here so both you and those helping you, will be able to see Ciara's history and her readings going forward? This helps us give you the best advice because it helps you and us understand how Ciara reacts to insulin and make decisions about what her dosing should be.

The instructions for the setting up the spreadsheet are HERE. You will need a Google account and if you are using a tablet or phone, you also need to download and install Google sheets from either the Playstore or Apple Apps. If you need help, just let us know and we'll have someone set the sheet up for you.

THIS DOCUMENT explains the spreadsheet and how to use it. It's really simple and very automated so all you have to do is enter the BG readings you take and the spreadsheet will colour code them which shows patterns that help us make dosing decisions.

It sounds like Ciara has diabetic neuropathy. Where are you located? There is a product in the US called Zobaline but depending on your location it may or may not be available to you. Not a problem though because we can direct you to an equivalent once we know where you are. Getting Ciara's diabetes better regulated will also help. Most cats recover completely when they are regulated but it does take some time to resolve completely.

4. Stella and Ciara

Stella and Ciara Member

Thank you so very much Chris has just helped do a spreadsheet for me but I don’t have the units on it but will in future
    Also will try to test three times a day when I can
    I am hoping to inject at 11am and 11 pm as it was later until today

5. Stella and Ciara

Stella and Ciara Member

I have got B12 for her but they did not help her legs she may have arthritis too I don’t know but she is so skinny only 4 lb now
    Stopped the b 12 as she went off her food and is on antibiotics right now too for her eye

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

While it's certainly possible that Ciara has arthritis, I think it would be helpful to continue the B12 too to help because if she has neuropathy, it's only going to add to any discomfort she might have from the arthritis. The B12 is totally harmless so it's worth trying it to see if it helps improve her mobility. How long has Ciara been on the antibiotics? When do they end? SOmetimes they can cause some tummy/bowel issues and may be contributing to Ciara's lack of appetite. Do keep an eye on her food intake as not eating can cause ketones or liver issues. Are you testing for ketones at all?

7. Stella and Ciara

Stella and Ciara Member

Thank you so much for your reply
    When she finishes the antibiotics in about 5 days I will then put the B12 in her food
    I am not sure it’s neuropathy as all all four legs seem to be unable to work right now poor Ciara she cannot even stand on them
    Arthritis was never diagnosed my vet does not know what wrong and she is too old for investigations
    She ate ok this morning

8. Stella and Ciara

Stella and Ciara Member

Her number was 14 today so I did not inject as I am out in the afternoon so scared to leave her in case if hypo

9. Stella and Ciara

Stella and Ciara Member

I have never tested for ketones but she eats ok but not always just before an injection

10. Stella and Ciara

Stella and Ciara Member

Ciara is just not eating enough today so going to buy a blender and syringe tomorrow and try to feed her with that
    She eats but such small amounts and takes ages
    She is weak and thin I just want to fatten her a little bit even
    She has only had two small meals today as she just wants to sleep all the time
    I really think I am losing her but don’t want to she is still so alert when she is awake but not awake much of the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.