help with dying cat? Again? Seizures at the end?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by petuniafish, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petuniafish

petuniafish New Member

I wrote 5 days ago that my 10 year old cat dying, but hasn't happened. We gave up a few weeks ago when our vet told us with her sudden severe episodes of hypoglycemia he was strongly suspicious of CRF. We could not afford anymore treatment and took our chances. Her appetite waned, she got quieter since the hypo episodes 3 weeks ago. Tried Pepcid AC without success- she had foamy vomit again and again. Last week she stopped eating entirely. Still drinking water and peeing. Very subdued, walks slowly and hides, but purrs. Her sugars are still high even with NO food, even with 3u insulin 2 x day- 287. Force feeding her barely 2cc baby food mixed with water is followed foamy vomit. I can't do this to her- can feel she is barely "there" to regurgitate and it will cause her to aspirate.

She's next to me right now, hunched over her waterbowl, sipping occasionally, meatloaf position, her eyes have lost their luster, she hides as best she can thru the day. She can walk fine just very very slowly. I think her vision is dimming A lot of classic CRF signs. My vet says to do more is prolonging the inevitable, but my husband refuses to part with her as long as she can walk and is not in obvious discomfort. Overall I feel the same but terrified of possible seizures at the end, and my vet warned me of that today.

I've lost a lot of cats but only one to CRF (and it was bad enough), and never had one have seizures at the end. Have known plenty of people who have and can only imagine how horrifying it is. Anyone been through this?

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't know that anyone can predict what will happen at the end.

I have always thought we have a wonderful gift that we can give our kitties. We can release them from their pain and let them die in our loving arms. If she is not eating, she is shutting down. As we said in your earlier post, loud purring can mean she is in pain.

3. This is so sad for all of us. Can't even imagine how you and DH feel. This might sound cold, but please believe me, I don't want it to.

I think you and your husband need to do something. In my experience, when a cat is "ready" to pass, you can see it in their eyes. The light is out and they just......are ready. Each or both of you, pick her up, love her, pet and scratch those special places you know she loves to be petted and scratched at.. And just stare at her eyes. Look for the sign that she's had enough. If you don't see it, perfect. But if you do, well, then you do. And you'll know what to do. Everyone hates this part of "life". But the day she picked you both to be her beans, you knew this day would one day arrive. You both love her. That's obvious from your posts. So keep that in mind. Love her. And let her tell you what to do.

Huge Hugs from SC

Carl

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When the kidneys fail, toxins build up in the body; you are being poisoned from the inside.
    The toxins make you nauseous and vomit, so you don't want to eat or drink.
    The upset stomach makes you not want to move and hunch over to try to make it feel better.
    And when you don't speak human, you can't tell your loved ones to let you go be at peace and healed across the Rainbow Bridge.

5. Linda and Crash (GA)

Linda and Crash (GA) Member

Sending love and hugs. This is one of the most difficult things to do, but like Carl said, you will see it in your kitty's eyes. Give her that last gift when it is time. ((hugs))

6. petuniafish

petuniafish New Member

Thanks so much everyone. Will show your words to husband and hope he will agree. It really is time :-( Thanks for your loving kindness.

7. petuniafish

petuniafish New Member

Oh no....wait a minute. My vet told me today that the vets at his clinic would be happy to come to our home.
    But in her case, he said he'd not advise it, saying "the last thing you want to see is for us to struggle to find a vein
    keep missing it and cause her pain and trauma in the process." In other words he was saying we should not be present.
    I can't do that! Besides if it is a "struggle", wouldn't it cause more pain for anyone not to be there?
    Any experiences with this?

8. petuniafish

petuniafish New Member

Thanks to everyone. Your compassionate words heal. A page turned reading everything that you have all written.
    Read it all to my husband and we in in full agreement. It is time. I have a featherbed positioned immediately next to where my little
    White Cat has been lying. After DH and I decided and I lay down next to her, she came over with her sweet pink nose, nuzzled mine,
    gave me a little squeak- she said it loud and clear. "Get me out of this mess, mom!" Now want to help her pass as soon as possible and
    want this night to pass quickly so we can get to the vet tomorrow. I'm not as worried about not having done at home as much as getting her some relief. She is uncomfortable. The three of us can now proceed with grace.
    I pray that we can do this intravenously but we'll see. Will post again tomorrow but I am eternally grateful for all the words of wisdom. Love to you all. Nancy and White Cat

9. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

My Toddy passed away this last summer. He had diabetes for several years and had CRF for the last year of his life. We watched him slowly get worse and worse. Finally his numbers started being all over the place and he was at the vet once to several times a week. His last day he spent at the vet getting fluids. 15 minutes after returning home, he had a seizure, which had never happened before and was one of the scariest things I have ever been through. We rushed him to the ER vet. He couldn't walk anymore after the seizure, so the next morning we went to our regular vet. He stayed for most of the day, while the staff said their goodbyes and loved on him (he was a favorite there).. I came over with my mom and husband, we sat with him for a few hours and said goodbye and then let him go. You can tell when it is time. They are not the same and they tell you that. I've let 4 cats go since 2008 and each one, you could see it in their eyes. They can't keep going... they are tired.

My suggestion.. be there when its time. The vet can put the IV in with you not in the room and then you can come say your goodbye before it is time. That is what we did. Finding the vein is hard, but they should be able to do it. Something that really helped me, ask your vet to make a paw print of your babies paw (either with a stamp or with clay) Also cut a small bit of fur to keep. That has really helped me get through the loss. Having those things here with me.

I am sending you many good thoughts and love. This is so hard and we are right there with you. <3

10. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Prayers to you and Little White! I had to help my Gumpy to the Bridge in July... she was having seizures and strokes. I have never had to do this before and after her being in my life for 14 yrs., it was the toughest thing to do. After the time has passed, I do realize it was the best thing for her. I sure miss her everyday, but she just was not the same and it was time.
    When we went to the vet, they got the iv in without me being there and I was able to come and sit with her for as long as I wanted... was there when she went to the Bridge... tears flowing as I write about this and feeling your pain.
    I did keep some of her fur, a paw print and had her cremated. I did not think the cremation would help, but I was wrong & it has helped some with my grief. I get to pass by her every day and say good morning when I want. I guess I just feel better knowing she is in my home.
    Please know I am sending you a very very long hug and prayers

11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so glad to read this. As I said in an earlier post, always better too early for you than too late for her.

I suppose it is different each time, but my vet gave Oliver a sedative and then the final shot. I held him in my arms while his eyes closed, telling him how important he had been to me, what a wonderful cat he was and how much I loved him. It felt like I was easing his way.

12. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

That anguishes me to read that and I was recently through an at-home euthanasia. The vet should not have said that to you because that is not how the process happens. They sedate the pet first especially in case they have trouble finding a vein. That is what happened in Gandalf's case. But I knew he was no longer in pain, his vet did a very good job explaining why they do what she needed to. There is no "struggle." I am sorry you were told that.

I will not explain what she needed to do to administer the drugs, but there was no struggle and it did not cause him pain. He was very close to the end before that, as she could barely find a heart beat after giving the sedative.

And to help you understand how strong cats can be, Gandalf was able to walk an hour before this, he was not incapacitated but clearly very very ill. He walked across the house to the litterbox, even though he couldn't go. Then he walked slowly back to his basket in the catroom. His will was strong until the end, but he had stopped purring for me, so I knew that was his sign. Each cat is going to be different in that respect.

May you find peace in your last help for your beautiful kitty.

13. petuniafish

petuniafish New Member

Thanks Vicky and Sue. Can't tell you how much your experiences and kindness help ease this way. I'm on the west coast
    and waiting for my vets office to open to get in this morning with little White Cat. Her nite was OK but she is doing a different kind
    of purring which I know means discomfort. She looks at me with that "help me" look. In the middle of the nite my husband said "we waited
    too long". He was terribly stubborn about moving to this stage. I'm a nurse, husband a doctor. We don't end people's lives ever. But
    when we die we can have as much pain medication as we need to ease our suffering. We both are finally understand. Know it's insane
    but the philosophy our sanctity towards life has made this very difficult til now. The beautiful part is that White Cat will allow me to pass this
    on to other pet parents. She gave much.

Vicky- the reason the vet said that he did not want to do at home is that he had difficulty starting an IV three weeks ago when she was
    so hypogycemic. Now renal failure makes it worse, so possibility of cardiac injection to end her life is high. He probably wants another
    vet to help in case it becomes difficult. I hope and pray that this can be done with IV access.

Thanks again for the kind support...Nancy and White Cat

14. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The vet can give a sedative first, before putting in an IV.

Insist on it.

15. petuniafish

petuniafish New Member

BJ...is it an oral sedative? The last bit of Pepcid I gave her last nite came foaming right back out of her mouth.
    ????? Thanks.

16. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

No its injected. She will fall asleep fairly quickly, then the vet can put in the IV.

Also, at the shelter when they do the feral cats, they give the euthanasia injection into the belly, where it is absorbed - no veins need to be found, though it does take a bit longer.

17. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

The sedative is given in the muscle, they don't need a vein for that part. Our vet who came to the house has been a vet for almost 20 years. She treated Gandalf with acupuncture for over 2 years and is an ER vet as well so I know she did it correctly. If your vet is saying they need a vein to administer sedative or don't administer sedative at all, frankly they are doing it wrong. I'm sorry to be blunt, but the fact that this has upset you and your husband makes me angry. It is difficult enough to help a dying pet, so you don't need to be told "horror stories." I've only seen this done once, but there was nothing horrific about it. I wanted to be there, you will want to be there too, especially with your experience in human medicine.

And yes, since she could not get a vein she gave the drug directly into his heart. That is why they sedate first. It was not gruesome, there was no pain for him, he did not even react to the muscle shot. I knew it was the final help we could give to him. He gave me so much love I could not bare to see him suffer and he did not.

I also would recommend having the vet come to your home. You are able to control the environment and White Cat will not be afraid. Please know that she has the most love for you at this time.

18. petuniafish

petuniafish New Member

BJ- thank you ever so much!!!!!
    Just got the appointment and we leave in less than an hour thank goodness. It's not our regular vet but one she's seen before.
    She seems very loving and compassionate so I feel good about everything. I'd have to wait several hours if I wanted to wait for
    someone to come to our home. Can tell she wants to be left alone, is lethargic but aware. I can wrap her in a blanket and husband
    will drive and believe it will be more comfortable than waiting any longer. As you say I will INSIST on the IM sedative you describe.

I refuse to leave the room under any circumstances as you advise- want to be there for her through all, especially since this is not optimal when we
    are not doing at home. My husband can't bear to be in the room. We had an awful experience several years ago with a dog and says he
    can't go thru it again.

Thanks to you all I know we are finally treating White Cat lovingly and respectfully. Much love to everyone.

19. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Yes, that is understandable. Some people cannot be there, there is nothing wrong with that. Bless you and we'll be thinking of you and White Cat today. wings_cat

20. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Safe journey White Cat, it is loving soft and warm on the other side. Fly free baby, fly free.

May peace follow you and your husband till you all meet again

My sincere condolences,
    jeanne

21. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm SO thankful that your husband 'saw the light' about this. White cat was hurting and asking for help, I'm thankful that you saw this. I have the same issue with my husband when it comes to this and I will not even let him GO to the vet's office anymore regardless of what's being done or who's going...one or more of 19 plus way too many GA's in our 'Angel Garden'. Sometimes I'm handling 3-5 animals for a trip but I STILL won't let him go - his 'heart' can't take it. It's OK that he's not going - we understand and there's nothing wrong with that. Some people just can't...they just can't. To me, it's a gift we can give to our furbabies but can't give to our humans suffering the same. The BODY breaks, the spirit doesn't so she'll always be right there on your shoulder.

My heart will always hold a very special place for any white cat. Fly free sweet baby...and land ever so softly right back in your Bean's hearts.

BIG loooong hugs,

22. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Praying for a peaceful passage for White Cat.

Thinking of you and your husband in your grief.

Bless you for this final act of love.

23. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

I have read this post with much anguish, feeling your pain in each sentence. When we work in "human medicine", we are faced with a very different end of life, but with our beloved pets, we need to make that decision for them - we need to put aside our pain, and act out of love. Thank you for loving White Cat so much that you will give her this final gift.

I have been through this 4 times, and have been with my cats each time. Once was an at-home visit, for which I was very grateful. Each time tore my heart out with grief, but it was the kindest, most peaceful passing for my furbabies.

May White Cat leave this world with peace and dignity, without pain or fear. May she be surrounded by your love, feeling your hand on her fur, and hearing your voice in her ear.

Our hearts go with you.

24. petuniafish

petuniafish New Member

THANK YOU to all my beautiful friends here!
    I am eternally grateful for the help received.
    Just returned. I had a different vet- one who had seen White a few times before. She was wonderful- so compassionate.
    White Cat was so peaceful from the time we walked in the door. I got to hold her in a quiet consultation room the whole time- for the sedative and
    final injection. She was relaxed, comfortable and angelic- her little white nose lips and ears wrapped in a pink blanket. I sang my family's song- Toora Loora Loora.We have the sad work of digging her grave, final bathing and brushing, wrapping her in my favorite fleece and saying that final goodbye.

Gosh everyone. I am so glad I found you! Have been guided by your knowledge and compassion. have learned so very much thru this process.
    Love you all and your families very much. (I am changing vets for my other cat and my dog. I wish I had before my beautiful White Cat went
    down hill) Love to you. Nancy, and White Cat

25. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

I am so sorry that it was White Cat's time to leave you, but thank you for giving her that final act of love that we mere humans have to give our fur babies.

A candle is lit here to light White Cat's way to the Rainbow Bridge and I'm sure she will have a wonderful welcoming party as there are so many of our other furry angels waiting for her to arrive. If I know my Muse she will be at the head of the pack as she always was in life to welcome each new cat into our family and show them the ropes, so I have to believe she has taken up that job at the bridge as well.

Fly Free White Cat use your lovely wings well and land ever so softly back in your beans hearts.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

26. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Nancy, my deepest and most heartfelt sympathy to you and your husband on the loss of your beloved White Cat. You did right by her and she is now at peace. So thankful it all went well for both of you and that you were able to be right there with her.

27. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I'm sad it was her time to go and glad that you were able to help it happen peacefully.

28. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

I"m glad to see that White Cat has made it to the Bridge with your help. It is a blessing when they know it is their time.

Thank you for allowing us to share our cats' stories with you. I'm glad it helped in some way. I know it doesn't lessen the ache for you and your husband, but there are a lot of people here who understand. There is a section of FDMB for grieving fur-parents. http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=16

And a book I found helpful recently is "When Your Pet Dies" by Dr. Alan Wolfelt. I highly recommend it to anyone who has lost a dear companion animal.

Fly Free dearest White Cat wings_cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.