Help with food choices (wet)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lymphoma/Diabetic, Jan 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lymphoma/Diabetic

Lymphoma/Diabetic New Member

Hello, I'm new to the group and have a kitty named Lucy that has small cell lymphoma the past year and
    doing so so. She was just hospitalized for pancreatitis, high liver enzymes and BS 400. She normally at
    the vet will run slightly above 200. She was treated for 4 days and went home. Returned again for
    3 days. Doing 2 units 2x daily at home the last 3 days....notice that she would only get up to pee, eat and just
    wanted to sleep. I expected that after being in the hospital. She had diarrhea this morning. She is on Metrondazole 50 mg 2 x daily and Prednisolone 5 mg 2 x daily. We haven't given her the chemo
    since Jan 1st and she only had 4 tabs in Dec and Nov....normally 7 to 8. She has held her weight
    until recently. She has gained back some in the past week. I notice that when I gave the prozinc
    she would clean herself after eating and then just sleep. Didn't get up and check out the birds or
    wander the house. Pee and go back to our bed. So I talked to the Dr. this AM and he said skip
    her prozinc this AM. She is more active an ate a second time. What to expect??

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    Home testing will let you see what her blood glucose is without guessing. All you need is an inexpensive human glucometer, matching test strips, and lancets labelled for alternate site testing.
    If the glucose on a human glucometer is between 50-130 mg/dL while on insulin, you have good control.

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi there, and welcome to you and little Lucy. What a lovely picture of her! :)

I'm sorry to hear about Lucy's health problems. My own little one, Saoirse, has chronic pancreatitis so I understand how tough it is, and it is sad to see our little ones with so little energy during a flare.

I note that Lucy seems to be sleeping more but her clinical signs seemed better after you skipped a dose. I ask because sometimes it can take a while for a kitty's body to acclimatise to insulin treatment. Sometimes that makes them sleepy but energy levels should improve after a few days. Another possibility is that Lucy's dose may need adjusting. With the pancreatitis recovery underway and the steroids in the mix there are a number of moving variables right now that could affect Lucy's blood glucose levels. It would help a lot if you could confirm that Lucy has just started receiving insulin within the last few days, please.

As BJ recommends above, if you could learn to monitor Lucy's blood glucose at home it would give you a much better picture of how she's responding to the Prozinc so that you might better work out why she's sleepier and also make sure she's on a safe, effective dose.

Here are some links that might be helpful to you. The first two contain lots of tips and links about how to home test. I've also included a link to the IDEXX pancreatitis treatment guidelines. I found them very helpful for my little one. (Sorry if you've seen them before!)

Home testing links and tips

Testing and injection tips (has a very helpful diagram of the testing 'sweet spot' on the ear)

IDEXX Pancreatitis Guidelines

How is Lucy's appetite? I hope she's managing to eat OK.

Mogs

4. Lymphoma/Diabetic

Thank you Mogs for the info. She had a glucose curve done recently and another one on this coming Tuesday. She started the insulin on the
    20th of January. I'll look into the home test. She seems to be doing OK today. She is taking cerenica for vomiting and has had diarrhea
    once yesterday. Hoping today will be better. She has had some diet changes too. Trying to stabilize her and just make her comfortable.
    She takes the inject fine.....such a good kitty. She ate 1.8 oz this am. of wet food. Her appetite was not there yesterday evening. She is
    holding weight. Keep your fingers crossed! Lucy's Mom

5. Lymphoma/Diabetic

Thank you so much for the info....I'll look into it.

6. Critter Mom

Fingers and paws crossed for little Lucy. :bighug:

The IDEXX document has a lot of info on treatments. Also, there is good information on nausea and appetite problems on this page at Tanya's Site. I don't know whether you're doing this already, but it can help a lot with nausea to elevate food and water bowls by a few inches. On days when Saoirse's appetite is a bit off, I find that very slightly warming Saoirse's food makes it more tempting for her. Sprinkling a crumbled up freeze-dried chicken treat over the food helps, too.

Be sure to post an update when you have one. :bighug:

Mogs

7. Lymphoma/Diabetic

Thanks for sending all your good thoughts our way. It's been 3 weeks and finally things are calming down. Hugs to you! Lucy's Mom

8. Lymphoma/Diabetic

A sad day to report....my little Lucy is now at peace. Her kidneys gave out which was a surprise to us. My neighbor said that she must of really loved you
    to hang on so long. She had Lymphoma small cell GI for 15 months and became diabetic during that time. I can't thank all of you so much for the
    encouragement and the site for the courage and confidence it gave me. She would take her injections and purr.....it wasn't as difficult as you make
    yourself think. It gave her some more quality time and we cherished it. We loved our little goose so much and will miss her dearly. Good day to
    all of you excellent kitty mom's and dad's....take care of your kitty's. Hugs to all. Thanks Mogs

9. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear that Lucy has crossed the bridge. Your care and love obviously gave her a lot more quality time in spite of her conditions. Keep the happy memories close in your heart to give you strength and peace at this sad time.

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

10. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sending purrs and prayers at this difficult time.

11. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss. Rest in Peace sweet Lucy:bighug:

12. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

13. Chrys & Stomper

Chrys & Stomper Well-Known Member

So very sorry for your loss. RIP little Lucy :(

14. Critter Mom

Just seen this. I'm awfully sad to hear about Lucy. I'm glad that what you learned here gave you more time together. She was a lucky kitty to have shared her life with you.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

15. Lymphoma/Diabetic

Yes my little Lucy was on borrowed time.....she was pretty good the week before and then
    all suddenly her kidney's gave out. I'm feeling better today and have been giving my
    other two fur babies more attention. Mogs I really appreciated the support....it's time
    to "Carry On". Thanks.... Hugs to Critter Mom! Lucy's Mom

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.