Help with food/feeding schedule

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by clumsywabbit, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clumsywabbit

clumsywabbit New Member

Hi all,
    I've been lurking here for a little while but I'm at my wits end and I could really use some help/advice. Sammy is 14 and was diagnosed nearly two months ago. After a whirlwind of lantus and blood sugar testing, and switching him from free feeding dry food to a mixture of wet (FF classics) and dry (Orijen cat & kitten), we were able to get him into remission relatively quickly.

He was a couple of pounds overweight, but is slimming down (he's currently at 12.5 lbs) We wanted what was best for his health, so we moved him to only wet food. He gets two cans of FF classics per day, plus a tablespoon of cooked chicken mixed in with one of those cans. Because we leave for work super early in the morning, he gets one can at 6am and the other + the chicken at 6pm.

The problem is that he's not adapting well to this routine. At around 3-4 am and pm, he starts meowing and begging for food. He does not stop. I try to be strong and hold out until 6, but I am utterly exhausted. My husband is starting to resent Sammy. I'm trying to be patient and realize we're all just adjusting to change, but I don't know how much longer I can take being this sleep deprived. It's been a month like this.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I feed him more? Should I change up the schedule? Any help is appreciated.

2. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

I recommend the PetSafe 5 automatic feeder. It's a lifesaver!

Not sure where you are located, but go to this link through to Amazon or other shopping partners.

I have both the PetSafe5 and another brand with 6 compartments. You can certainly used wet food in it - either freeze in pucks for freshness or just leave in the morning and at night - I water mine down a bit - it helps her feel fuller, too. Genghis has adapted nicely. I feed her multiple small meals daily and she has stopped begging so much.

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) likes this.
  3. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

Completely agree with @Brashworks . I have two cats. They each get a half of a 5.5 ounces can morning and evening, and then I split up another can into six mini meals throughout the day with the use of the autofeeder. And since you are no longer giving insulin, you don't have to worry about the no food two hours before shot time.

Brashworks likes this.
  4. clumsywabbit

clumsywabbit New Member

Thank you all! I guess I thought the auto feeders were only for dry food; I had never thought to freeze the canned stuff for later meals. Great suggestion!

5. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

You're welcome. Here's to a little quiet and a lot more sleep!

PS Congrats on getting your kitty into remission!!

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Be careful how fast he loses weight. You want a nice gradual reduction to avoid hepatic lipidosis, where fat overwhelms the liver and disrupts digestion. It is possible he needs just a tiny bit more food (a teaspoon or two, perhaps)
    Cat Info has a section on obesity which you may find helpful.

7. clumsywabbit

clumsywabbit New Member

That initially was a concern of mine, but Dr Lisa's page reassured me a bit when she said that she had never seen a cat with hepatic lipidosis when it was fed at least 15 calories per pound - which Sammy definitely is. Thanks for your concern though, it's definitely appreciated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.