Help with food!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Karen76, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karen76

Karen76 New Member

Hi, I’m new here . My girl, Stella, is 10. She was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago now. I’m really struggling with food. She was given a prescription diet of m/d wet and dry food but she really won’t eat the wet food. She’ll nibble it then leave it. It’s so expensive and I’m looking for something she will love as I’m desperate for her to gain some weight. She’s on 3 units of Caninsulin twice daily. I’m in the UK. Thank you so much in advance

2. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

She doesn't need expensive prescription food. She does need a good low carb wet or raw food that has no grains in it. What you can try is crushing some of the dry food and sprinkle on top of her wet food.

We have lots of pet parents from Great Britain. Some will come by soon to give you the names of food over there. Welcome to the group.

JeffJ and Karen76 like this.
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome, Karen and Stella.

Here's a link to the UK food list.

Be careful if changing from Hill's m/d to one of the foods on the list as m/d has a fairly high carb load and 3.0 IU BID is quite a substantial dose of Caninsulin. Changing to a lower carb food could see Stella's BG go into much lower territory very quickly. For safety, it's recommended that you are home testing BG levels before starting to transition to a low carb food because typically the insulin dose needs to be adjusted downwards to make sure the cat's BG does not become dangerously low. Here's a link to a very helpful resource on the subject written by vet Dr Lisa Pierson:

Transitioning a diabetic cat already receiving insulin to a low carb diet - safely!!

If you're not already home testing Stella's BG we can help you to learn and also suggest suitable glucometers available in the UK.

Mogs

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Karen76 and Vader723 like this.
  4. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums Karen and Stella. Good advice from the other posters. I hope we can help you get Stella even healthier.

Karen76 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.