Help With Glucose Meter and Hypoing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tajana340, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Gosh, what a scary night, I hope things worked out ok. Many thanks to everyone who could be there overnight.

I use the Relion Ultima, and as far as I know it is comparable with any other meter. I tested a civie on mine recently and got 54.

2. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

My GOD! I was getting anxiety from reading this thread. I use the ReliOn Micro and strips. I like it. The only time I've gotten a weird reading it beeped twice and I knew something was off so I retested. Does anyone know the phone number to get the test solution? Is this cat alright? Her vet sounds totally feckless!

3. berryflower

berryflower New Member

The number for ReliOn is 800-631-0076.

4. Bo & Jake

Bo & Jake Well-Known Member

Anybody can contact Tayana? Any update on cat?

5. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Wow, what a night! I am glad there were people around to help out last night; great job, guys! :) I hope she will update soon and let us know how things are going.

6. ceil99

ceil99 Member

I was getting freaked reading this too

Any updates? Does anyone know how to contact her?

7. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

I think Mary & Stormy Blue was the only one who passed her number along to her.
    I haven't seen her update anywhere else.

8. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

I did give her my phone #, and the PM was picked up, but I have not heard anything so far as an update.
    I'd really, really love to have one as I want to know how the kitty is doing today. And I think we need to work with her about getting that insulin dose started over at 1 unit bid and advising what is a proper diet for a sugar kitty. I don't think that part of the many posts sunk in due to the immediate hypo crisis.

~M

9. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

Kelli and Oreo is in Tuscon and i think offered to help her with anything if she needed it, when she first joined the board. not sure if they ever made contact though. and yeah, i too would like to know that kitty is ok so if you are out there, can you let us know??

10. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Update on Spicey

Everyone spicy is doing well.

I think the meter or the strips were bad because i bought the relion micro meter and just tested her again and she is at 521

11. Mary & Stormy Blue

Re: Update on Spicey

Hello, again. :)
    We were wondering how Spice was doing. I am so happy to hear that she made it safely thru the night :)))))

One thing that I do want to point out -
    It is completely normal for a kitty to have very high numbers the next day after a hypo event.
    Last night - for hours - Spice was fed sugar and high carb foods in order to bring her bgl up to a safe number from a dangerously low number.
    Now, it goes high because of all of the sugars that were pumped into her. It is NORMAL for that to happen after a hypo event. I promise.

There is a saying that goes something like, "Better to be too high for a day, than too low for even one minute". Low blood sugar can cause terrible, terrible things to happen - including possible death.

I would strongly encourage you to decrease Spice's insulin to 1 unit twice daily and feed her nothing but low carb. canned foods from here on out. The canned Friskie's Special Diet (beef & chicken??) that she likes would be ideal to start her out on. Please do NOT feed her only those low carb foods if you are not going to decrease her insulin, or she might hypo on you again.

Spice would not have hypoed on NYE, and again last night were she not getting too much insulin for her body. The safest way to avoid another hypo event is decrease insulin to 1 unit to start, monitor her bgl at least before every single shot (and preferably at least 4 times a day) and feed her only low carb wet food.

After a few days at 1 unit 2X per day, with frequent monitoring, you will be able to tell if she needs more insulin. If she does, the dose should be increased v e r y s l o w l y by .25 to .5 units at a time (and held on new dose for a few days to allow it to settle). That is the safest way to increase insulin doses. Start low - go slow. It saves a lot of lives and allows a person to tell what the ideal dose is for their particular cat.

~M

12. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Question how many days on 1 unit and when will i tell if she needs more insulin?

And should i feed her the wet food friskies special diet beef and chicken or

Feed her the wet food hills prescriptive m/d

She really prefers the wet food hills prescriptive m/d over the wet friskies.

I Know the reason she had the hypo incident on new years eve is that she wasn't eating at all and i did not catch that so I need to keep that in mind. She hardley eats the wet friskies she just licks it and doesn't actualyy eat it. But she gobbles up the hills wet.

13. tajana340

tajana340 Member

I gave spicey her insulin 1 unit

14. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

So her PMPS (Afternoon/PM pre-shot) is 521? Are you going to be up for awhile to get another test? I'm not sure how long it takes PZI to peak, but other PZI users will be here shortly. Maybe get another test in an hour or two if you can? Or maybe just before bed.

I'd say feeding her the M/D is ok for now if that's what she really likes. Most cats won't eat that food for very long. It's still higher carb than most other OTC wet foods, but is still way lower carb than the other Hill's foods. I'd try to look around at the store to see if you can find another low carb wet food that she likes other than M/D. It's a little higher than the other foods, as well as not-the-best ingredients.

See Janet & Binky's food charts and try to stay under 10% in the carbs column. Also stay away from fish, except for the rare meal/treat, as those aren't as balanced as the other meat foods (mercury levels, etc..) Plus, the cats can get addicted to the fishy foods! I learned that the hard way when I first switched them!

http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodNew.html

15. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Yes I will try getting her on something else food wise. You know she is a picky girl.

16. tajana340

tajana340 Member

i think we can try testing in an haour or two.

17. Mary & Stormy Blue

Excellent! Getting her other kinds of legal* food to try would be ideal until you find a variety that she likes.

* what the board members call non-RX, low-carb foods from the list.

It will be good to see what her number will be now that she is down to 1 unit dose. Bear in mind it still might be a bit high, but that is probably because of the hypo incident and unlikely to be because of the 1 unit dose.

You might want to post it (next bgl results) in your other thread as this one is getting pretty long.

~M

18. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Will post next bg results in other thread.

We Will End This thread.

Thanx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.