HELP with infection around feeding tube

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley and Pattie, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

Took Harley to vet for infection around his PEG tube. Vet said he had gained weight (yeah!) and flanges of tube had scabbed over. They cleaned him up and sent him home on antibiotic. Today, I looked and the puss stuff had again anchored the flanges to his skin. I cleaned him off and found exposed red skin. I put gauze on it. I also used Neosporin - was that ok???

Pattie

2. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Re: Help with an infection

Hi, Harley.. I have read people suggest to use neosporin for the ears, but am not sure where you put the neosporin - it sounds like you have already done it, but maybe you could call the ER Vet to make sure it is Ok? It has been a few hours since you posted & I am not sure what to tell you.

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Hi Harley,
    It would get you eyes if you put info into your subject like "Help with infection around feeding tube"
    That way you will get people who have had feeding tubes in their kitties and who may have had issues.
    Good luck.

4. Harley and Pattie

How would I change the subject without starting another thread?

Pattie

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: Help with an infection - editing postss

If you look at your first post, at the bottom right you see an Edit button.
    Click on that button, and your first post will open and allow you to edit the subject line and add notes to the message body too if you like.

At the bottom of your post, you see from the left, profile and pm buttons, then on the right you see Edit and Quote buttons.

At the bottom of my post and others, you will not have that Edit button as you can edit only your own posts.

6. Harley and Pattie

Thank you for your help. I changed to subject to see if someone can help with the infection.

pattie

7. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Pattie, Neosporin should be fine. Layla had an e-tube. I went to the drug store and bought some non-stick bandages, they were maybe 2x3" or so, and there was no sticky part on the bandage. I put that as the first layer over the skin with the tube - and I did use Neosporin first. I then wrapped the area with the sock material provided by the vet, and then a bandage on top of that. I don't know how it would change with the PEG tube. The only problem I see with just gauze is that it will stick to the scab as it forms, and will reopen whenever you try to change the bandage.

So, try to find the large non-stick pads to put under the gauze.

Best,
    Pam & Layla

8. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

Hi. You might want to switch to Bacitracin instead of Neosporin. Some are allergic to Neomycin and can cause skin irritations. What color is the junk coming out around the tube? Shiloh frequently had a brownish discharge that wasnt an infection. Stay away from peroxide as that will destroy skin cells. Clean with soapy water, then put oint around site, then cover first with a vaseline gauze as it won't stick to wound, then reg gauze. I think I used Kling to cover the vaseline gauze. Let me know how you make out. Donna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.