help with measuring 0.25 U dose accurately

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Arathi & Yuki, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arathi & Yuki

Arathi & Yuki Member

Hello all,
    Yuki was on 0.5 U for about 2 weeks, and then she started being close to 5 mmol/L, many days. The vet had advised to skip insulin if such were the case. So decided to lower dose to 0.25 U twice daily. The problem is that I am finding it difficult to measure the 0.25 dose accurately.

Any tips on being accurate?

thanks!
    arathi

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Arathi! I hope this picture helps. Notice the top of the plunger is 1/2 way between the zero line and the 0.5 line. See is looking really good!

upload_2018-7-8_16-25-43.png

Attached Files:

Arathi & Yuki likes this.
  3. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Contrary to popular belief, consistency is more important than accuracy. :)

For example, my 0.25u is likely different than yours. That's ok. It's more important to try to replicate the dose rather than worrying about accuracy. Some people count drops. Others make a sample syringe of colored water and use it to gauge consistency when measuring. Others use calipers and others simply eyeball the dose.

Just do the best you can.

4. Arathi & Yuki

Arathi & Yuki Member

5. Arathi & Yuki

Arathi & Yuki Member

I have been eyeballing it. But have been trying to find a better way. Hopefully pic from @Bobbie And Bubba helps. I do want it to be consistent as lack of consistency was bothering me.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  6. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

That pic along with making a syringe with colored water for a sample is very helpful if you don't have calipers.

7. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

Harbor Freight or amazon would be a good place to get some cheap calipers for measuring. I found it tough too. I had to use a little headlamp to see the blood drop to test with my boys black coat and kept it on when loading the syringe. I found a small magnifying glass or some readers would help make the measuring easier too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.