Help with meter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ashley arnold, Mar 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashley arnold

Ashley arnold New Member

I just got a brand new relion prime meter and checked it from the same blood drop with the OneTouch meter I have here and the numbers are off from one meter to the other what one do I trust?I checked with the relion twice and got a reading within 3 points of each but I don't have the strips to test the OneTouch like that and it is 50 points higher then the relion

2. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

There can be a variance sometimes with an oddball strip. There is also some variance regardless, even using the same meter/strips. If the Relion was within 3 points on 2 strips, sounds fine as long as you checked new strips with control solution ( made for those strips) with the correct meter.

Hope that helps.

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Comparing 2 meters based on one reading is like comparing apples to oranges. All meters have to meet certain criteria and some are more accurate at low readings, some at mid range and some at high readings but they all have to be within the standards set by the FDA. On a higher BG, 50 points isn't that much when you consider meters have a variance allowance of 20% high or low in the US. You didn't say what readings you got when testing so I don't know if that difference was on a low, mid or high reading.

My suggestion would be to use the Prime that is reading lower. My reasoning is that if Aragon is heading too low, you will catch the low numbers and be able to intervene sooner than with the One Touch. Keep the One Touch as a back up knowing it may be reading a bit high. The other advantage of the Prime is that the strips are far more reasonably priced.

The best thing to do is pick a meter and stick with it so there is consistency in the readings.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

At what BGs for each meter was there 50 points difference? at high BG such a difference is not unexpected since the difference seems to be a %, not an absolute difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.