? Help with numbers! (newbie who may have shot high)

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Harukyo, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Hello everyone,

I'm very new to home testing. The first tests were a breeze and this second day has been tears and frustration. Kyo's levels have been mostly flat from the 200-299 range from AMPS and PMPS but for today's PM shot she read 153mg/dL. I gave her the usual 1.5u ProZinc that she has been on and now that I'm reading more about how youre supossed to stall feeding and test again I am concerned that I gave her a dose too high instead of skipping the dose. Please help, I am so stressed out and trying desperately to absorb so much information in so little time. Shes on Purina DM dry, (I know), I'll be moving her to FF classics wet once I get more BG readings and learn how to adjust insulin. I have Karo syrup on hand and I'm going to test her again at +3, I just need help interpreting the tests that I DO have. Please refer to my spreadsheet.

Thank you for reading, any help/advice I will be so thankful for.

2. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

I’m here!

She’s going to be fine. Test her at +2. That will let you know how the cycle will be going. You should see a bit of a “food spike” at that time; I.e., her number will be higher than the PS number. If it’s about the same or lower, then you can get a +3.

Perhaps she was just having a nice long cycle, which kept her PS low, but hopefully between the dinner (you fed her with the shot, I assume?) and the prior shot wearing off, her +2 will be up and you can get a good night’s sleep.

Harukyo likes this.
  3. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Yes! I always make sure she eats before her shot. And okay I will definitely make sure I get that +2 reading! Thank you thank you Jenna!

4. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

I see from your sig that you’re on central time (us, too). Did you shoot at 10? I can check in for your +2 ...

5. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Yes I did shoot at 10 PM! I will be testing in 30 minutes for her +2! If you are available at that time I would appreciate it! But don't feel obligated too, I appreciate the action plan you gave me!

Jenna Josie likes this.
  6. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

P.S. re: the testing ... attitude helps! :) Approach it with a calm sense of purpose (even if you have to fake it for the time being ;) ), and she will pick up on that.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  7. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Wanted to update this thread, we are at 136mg/dL @ +2, so we are still dropping from PMPS :(

8. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

It’s okay. That’s not a big drop. In fact, with the 20% (!) allowed variance in meters, it’s pretty much the same number.

Do you normally give her a little snack about now? If so, give it to her (I typically give Josie about 1/4 of a 3 oz can of good), and retest her in an hour.

9. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

I don't ever give her late night snacks but tonight seems like an exception! I have learned my lesson and will be stalling and not shooting when lower than 200. I have some FF classic pate that I could give her? I also have freeze dried salmon, a can of Purina DM wet food, light tuna cans in water, and even regular dry cat food (2 cat household). What would you suggest?

10. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Just a little of the FF classic pate, maybe 1/4 of the can. (You don’t want to stuff her, in case you need to eat more later.)

Edit: ha! I meant, in case you need *her* to eat more later!

Harukyo likes this.
  11. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Haha, no problem! Okay, she has eaten her 1/4 of a can of the FF classic pate (Ocean white fish). She sure enjoyed that, luckily shes a good eater just like me :D. I will be testing her again soon for our +3 reading!

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  12. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Sounds good. Let me know how her +3 is.

Harukyo likes this.
  13. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

93mg/dL @ +3

14. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Okay. That’s still a good safe number, but you are going to need to keep intervening since +3 is really just at the onset of the insulin, and will probably last until +6, which is a typical nadir.

Do you have other kinds of pate besides the ocean fish?

15. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

I have savory salmon feast and (cod, sole & shrimp feast). I think I might have some high carb cat treats too if need be. Also the Karo syrup obviously. I'm pretty much looking to test every hour until I see a rise in BG levels right?

16. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Actually, I just looked up the Purina Pro Plan DM on Dr. Lisa's chart. It says that is 6% carbs. Give her a tablespoon of that (or whatever would be the equivalent of 1/4 FF can.)

17. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

The thing is, she's just fine! But since it's early in the cycle **and** since we don't have a lot of data to help us predict where's she's headed, we just want to slow her down a little bit.

So I would want to see her flatten out a little bit, maybe go into the 80s next test and not lose another 30% from where she is now.

18. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Okay! I just gave her a tablespoon of the DM wet food. @1:25AM (between +3 and +4) @Jenna Josie

19. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

That's great. That'll be enough time (30 minutes) to be in her system by your next test at the top of the hour.

20. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

@Jenna Josie Thank you so much for all your help in this, I cannot express it enough. You've really calmed my nerves and even though I would have absolutely loved to avoid this process, I'm getting a crash course in what to do in the event this happens again. Will be updating for +4 reading soon!

Jenna Josie likes this.
  21. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

(Continued over on main ...)