Help with numbers

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Blues Brothers, Nov 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blues Brothers

Blues Brothers Member

Hi all,

I'm starting to get nervous since my kitty just had a bump in insulin (Friday PM was the first time on this dose: 2 units) and right now (at about +4.5), he's at 87 on my everpaw meter. I will try to get my spreadsheet updated, but here's what he had since the upped dose.
    Friday
    Amps 300 (1.5 units)
    +5.5 186
    Pmps 376 (2 units)
    +2 281
    +4 169
    +6 136
    Saturday
    Amps 268 (2 units)
    +2 278
    +4 173
    +6 122
    +8 157
    +10 233
    Pmps 478 (2 units)
    +2 285
    +4 138
    +6 129
    Today
    Amps 282 (2 units)
    +2 254
    +4 107
    +4.5 87
    I just did another test at about +5, and it's 90.

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Blues Brothers! Getting a spreadsheet going will definitely make your life easier so you aren't having to type all of that out. Do you have or need the link to the one we use here? There are some folks who can help you get it set up if you need anything, just ask and we can connect you.

As for the dose and data - it looks great! It looks like the 2u is doing really well right now. Those high PMPS numbers are a response to the lower nadirs, and should settle as you hold that dose for a bit. You're still safely above the 68 "take action" number, so I would just keep doing what you're doing - let him surf along and monitor, but don't carb him up unless you really have to. Adding carbs is tough on their system, so we use them when we have to, but don't respond before it's necessary. 68 is still a safe number, it just lets you know that it's time to give a snack. And you're close enough to nadir (based on your data, +6 looks to be a fairly consistent nadir for your kitty) that I'm thinking he'll be fine, so even if you give a snack, you should be fine to stick with low carb regular food or freeze dried treats at this point.

3. Blues Brothers

Blues Brothers Member

Thanks Djamila. I have a spreadsheet started but I do not have Internet access at home other than my phone. I don't think I can update it on my phone. My biggest concern is that I have to go back to work tomorrow so I will only be able to get a +1.5 after his AM shot. Do I need to worry that he will continue to drop ?

4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

This is where the spreadsheet comes in really handy. Since I can't see his history/data and his patterns over time, I'm not sure what to say about his chances of continuing to go lower. For my cat, after four cycles at a dose, he's pretty much stabilized at that dose, but that's definitely one of those Every Cat Is Different (ECID) things. With Prozinc, the protocol says 3-6 cycles, and vets usually say a week or two depending on how conservative the vet is. I'm sorry I can't be more help with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.