Help with testing

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Gretchen's Mom, Apr 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretchen's Mom

Gretchen's Mom New Member

I am new to this and need help with getting the blood test. I have been taught to prick her ear.
    Is there any other way?

2. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

@Bellasmom does the foot pad. Maybe she can help.
    Are you warming & massaging the ear for a couple minutes before. Hiring the sweet spot? Using a large enough lancet? 29 gauge.
    This all may be a repeat for you but just trying to help. I had trouble with Baby’s ears at first...
    good luck! :cat:

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Djamila and Becky & Baby Girl GA like this.
  4. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Hello Gretchen’s mom, yeah i started out trying ear but Bella,hated it and fought me tooth and nail, so I started doing pads, rotating among the 4, I wipe them down with alcohol wipes let dry few seconds, test and then hold wipe on for a few secs, he’s just recently started to let me do his 1 ear lol so now i rotate including the ear, hope he will let me his other ear and we can rotate between them all, I wasn’t good at the ear at first and sometimes still have to try a cpl times, I do find that giving them a treat as a reward helps with this procedure, now if I show bellamthe meter he comes running because I also have his treat I my hand lol he just lays there waiting patiently for treat

5. Sue (Mo's Mum)

Sue (Mo's Mum) Member

@Gretchen's Mom, I'm new to this too, but think I'm now getting to grips with the ear testing! Mo doesn't like it that he needs to stay still whilst I get the sample onto the test strip but he's tolerating it for the chance of a treat.

I found it tricky trying to co-ordinate everything, but as I've been doing a starting Glucose Curve I've learned pretty quickly.

I have everything set up ahead:

* lancet uncapped - I don't use a pen, just the plastic lancet
    * a small ear sized pad of kitchen paper to put on the inside of the ear to protect my finger!
    * BG Meter sat ready within reach with the strip in but not fully pushed home
    * small freeze dried small treats for during/after

I lift him on to the table, offer him the small treat and then whilst he's sat eating it I wrap my arm over him so he's under my arm and next to my chest, then hold his ear and prick the upper, outer edge, holding the pad of kitchen paper on the inner side of his ear. I massage the ear a little and if nothing comes out I may need to prick it again, but I've got the hang of the area to use now. I then grab the meter, and one-handed push the strip home (I need to keep hold of him or he shakes his head and the blood drop disappears or ends up on me) - my meter takes a few seconds to respond - then I touch it to the drop of blood. As soon as it's done he gets another tiny treat and lots of praise.

I've had to spend time with him between tests so he knows I'm not going to test him every time I go near him - we're both already better at it now and it's been less than 24h since we started!

Good luck!

6. Gretchen's Mom

Gretchen's Mom New Member

Thank you for all the feedback and ideas. I am not sure that I am responding to the posts the right way.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  7. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

You can hit reply to any posts, tag people by typing @..... then their name, or just post at the bottom. Anyway is fine, if I’ve posted something to anyone, I usually check back in on that thread...Although I do forget at times. :rolleyes:

Djamila likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.