HELP - Yo-yo'ing BG numbers - dosing advice?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cjtalbot, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjtalbot

cjtalbot New Member

My cat Buddy was diagnosed with diabetes over the holidays 2009. I've been giving him his insulin & switched him to a completely canned food diet. He sometimes throws a fit & won't eat his canned food (usually the ones that are "better" for him like EVO or Merrick or even sometimes the Wellness stuff) - but usually will eat any of the Sophisticat / 9Lives / Special Kitty foods for the most part. He still begs for dry every morning, but hasn't had any for almost 3 weeks.

At first, his numbers were still high, but now they're yo-yo'ing. He goes from some of his lowest numbers to some of his highest numbers on the same day 12 hrs apart (mid-100s to mid-500s). I can only give him his insulin at 8am & 8pm (Lantus) each day, but even that is sometimes problematic due to my work & school schedule. I check his numbers in the morning & they're "normal" numbers (in the < 200 range), so can't give him his insulin. But when I get home, he's hitting 500+.

It seems he is good for 2-3 days, then does this super-low, super-high numbers, then goes back again. I've tried to compensate with a little more / a little less insulin based on his numbers, but not sure if that's the right thing to do.

Today is another example of him hitting low numbers, but I've watched him eat every hour or two at least so far today...

Check his spreadsheet for full details - even includes what he's been given to eat each day & whether he ate much or not.

ANY ideas / suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thank you.

CJT

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you posting on the Lantus Insulin Support group forum? (Go to Insulin Support groups on the main page and pick Lantus). They are the people who deal with Lantus on a daily basis and will have the info you need. (There are, of course, people on Health who use Lantus, but that page is solely Lantus users. )

I have heard that changing the doses is not the way Lantus works. You can also read the Stickies on the top of the Lantus page and get some good information on how it works.

3. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

I don't know much about Lantus - only what I've read here - but I can see your problem. Maybe post your question on the Lantus board or Lantus User Group or whatever it's called now. That way you would get more people who are familiar with your particular insulin. Some of them look at this board, but not all do.

Another possibility: Edit the subject line of your original post to include the word "Lantus." That will catch the eye of the people with relevant experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.