Help!!!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mackenzie Obermeyer, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy Pawzbourne Well-Known Member

I'm still new so I don't feel comfortable giving dosing advice, but I think others will say you should go ahead with the shot. Please edit your title to add "Dosing Advice Needed" and put a ? in the prefix so folks can see you need guidance.

As far as being off shot time, if you do go ahead with the dose, you will need to work your way back on schedule 15 to 30 minutes at a time until you are back to the desired time for Mayton's shot. Here is a link that explains how to get back on schedule.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/getting-back-on-schedule.101059/

Good Luck!

2. Mackenzie Obermeyer

Mackenzie Obermeyer Member

Update: they called and said to wait 30 minutes after he ate to get another test (which it has been). Then if it's above 300 then give him 1 unit of insulin.

3. Ozzy Pawzbourne

@Doodles & Karen Karen, I think you might be on the board now. Do you have any guidance for Mackenzie? I thought we don't like to wait 2 hours after dose time to give a shot?? Wouldn't Mackenzie be shooting a potentially food induced higher number which is not truly reflective of his actual BG? Also, isn't 30 minutes too soon after food to test for dosing protocol? Can you please chime in if you are on the board please? I don't feel qualified to give guidance, am just here for support!

4. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Mackenzie, what is Mayton's current BG number? How long ago was his shot time?

5. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Hang on, let me read a few

6. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Thank you for coming so quickly Karen!!! :bighug::bighug::bighug::kiss::kiss::kiss:

7. Mackenzie Obermeyer

Just tested he was at 387. Doctor said to give 1 unit of insulin just gave it.

8. Mackenzie Obermeyer

Will be getting a +2 at 9pm tonight.

Ozzy Pawzbourne likes this.
  9. Doodles & Karen

Ok, so you know you have to give his shot in the morning 12 hours from when you gave it tonight. I would get a test in 2 hours and another before bed.

10. Doodles & Karen

If he's still high in the morning you can test and shoot 15 minutes early and again 15 min early at night to help you get back on schedule. It's very important that you do not shoot an hour early tomorrow. It's almost time for me to do meds, test/ feed/shoot etc. but I'll check back after that.

11. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Makenzie, good luck tonight. Hope it's uneventful and you can both have a break. Please follow Karen's guidance about not shooting Mayton an hour earlier tomorrow as it can act like an increased dose in his system and you are actually trying to achieve a reduced dose after what happened this morning. See the link I sent you on getting back on track. You have to do it slowly and it could take a couple cycles/days (depending on how far off your shot time you were) to get back to your 6:30 AM/PM shot time. Please ask questions if you need to.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mackenzie Obermeyer likes this.
  12. Doodles & Karen

BTW, I agree with shooting the 1 unit tonight to help drain the depot a bit and starting with 1.5u tomorrow.

13. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I agree with Karen.

14. Mackenzie Obermeyer

About to get Maytons blood for the +2... I'll report the reading back in 5

15. Mackenzie Obermeyer

409! It got even higher. Is this good news or bad?

16. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

It means he's bouncing and you can get a good night's sleep tonight. Tomorrow night may be a different story and you may need to get up and test during the night. Sleep while you can.

17. Doodles & Karen

It's expected and looks like he's going to bounce tonight. I'd get another test before bed but think he'll be OK after that until the morning.

18. Mackenzie Obermeyer

I'm worried that he is going to go low again in the morning. It is likely he will still be high then or could it go low again?

19. Mackenzie Obermeyer

Time for a snuggle! :kiss: He deserves it after this rough day

Attached Files:

20. Doodles & Karen

The only thing that will say for sure is your meter. I believe he'll be fine based on that +2 reading. Grab another test in a few hours. If it's about the same or just a wee bit lower get some sleep. It might even be higher. Give him extra scritches for me. He sure is a super cutie! ETA: You can always set an alarm for the middle of the night...may of us do that regularly.

21. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

So cute! :)

22. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I wouldn't set an alarm tonight. He's bouncing plus he got a reduced dose. If he's still high with the next test I'd save some strips. If you can't sleep and want to test more I won't try to stop you.

23. Mackenzie Obermeyer

Yes I will probably just do the +4. And update this when I do so.

Also I made sure I'm doing Mayton in the morning, and since he got insulin at 7:10pm Ill be giving it to him at 7:00am tomorrow. If his numbers are 200+ and he eats all of his food we are supposed to give him 1.5 units.

24. Mackenzie Obermeyer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.