Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew J

Matthew J New Member

Help! Our 13 yr old furr-baby was recently diagnosed with advanced stage diabetes and we have been going through hell the last few weeks (not to mention a whole lot of cash) we have been giving him his insulin as prescribed and changed his food to prescription diet m/d and he's still not showing improvement.. after a check up at the vet he said his glucose levels are still too high so he increased his dose of insulin and we almost lost him from hyperglycaemia.. back to original dose, continues to loose weight even tho he's eating and drinking.. we fear if we don't get this under control we will not have him with us very much longer.. any suggestions???

2. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

First things first. Take a deep breath. You and your kitty are going to get this handled. Can I ask what insulin your kitty is on and what dose? And whether your vet has mentioned home-testing to you at all? You will find there are places you can save money - the prescription food for instance really isn't necessary...there are a lot of relatively low cost foods available that fit the requirements of a diabetic (better than the prescription foods in most cases) that you will simply be able to buy at your local store.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

What insulin are you using, and what dose?

Are you testing at home? Are you using a pet meter or human meter?

What are his bg readings?

Are you feeding Any dry food or gave you gotten him on an all wet diet? Most here feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate.... It's much cheaper than the prescription and low in carb.

We are here to help and you will get the support you need here.

4. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    Welcome to you and your kitty. Don't know how furnace got on there.:facepalm:
    Is your kitty on vetsulin by chance? It hits hard and fast and can drop a cats BG by a few 100 points in a few hours. What is your kitty's name? If you also post in Health forum there will be many more people there who will be glad to help you.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Reason for edit: New info
  5. Matthew J

Matthew J New Member

Our furr-baby's name is Jaxson and we are using "Caninsulin" 2 units twice per day. (Vet had him up to 4 units when he went hypo) He is eating MD wet food morning and night and we leave out MD Dry when we are away from home (we have another furr-baby also 14y/o). We aren't home testing yet but we will buy a meter today to start this also.

Lisa and Smoky and JanetNJ like this.
  6. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

Do u mean 4 units twice a day? That us a very high starting dose for vetsulin. Smoky was on that for two and a half months. I switched him to prozinc on 11/23/16 as the vetsulin caused him to have drastic drops in BG. There are members who have cats who do quite well on vetsulin. Smokys vet started him on two units twice a day which was too much for him.
    My vet had him on prescription food which costs a lot and I found out was very high carb. He is eating a variety of canned food now, I saved a lot of money going to store bought brands: FF, Friskies, Nine Lives, Wellness, Weruva, and others.
    Most folks here use Relion Prime or Micro meters. The strips are less for the Prime but I believe it requires a larger blood drop than the Micro. Kudos to you for wanting to do home testing, it will keep your boy safe.

7. JanetNJ

4 units is a really high dose. Not surprised he hypoed. 2 is even a bit high top start. If you need help with testing just ask. My cat was on Vetsulin which is the same as canisilun and did well on it. Off it after 4 months.

Matthew J likes this.
  8. Matthew J

Matthew J New Member

Just did our first at home test and he measured 33.3 after a meal what does this mean,

9. JanetNJ

How long after the meal? It's high but you're just starting. Ideally you want to test, then feed, then shoot. If you can get a +5 reading.

Matthew J likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.