Help!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Meg25, Feb 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meg25

Meg25 New Member

I have a newly diagnosed 13yo diabetic cat, which I think was from a round of Steroid use for food allergies... My vet put him on Hills d/d (dry) around nov/dec 2018. Since then he has had 2 major bouts of constipation with fecal impact and one resulting in a hospital visit.
    I 100% blame this food, and am desperately trying to wein him off this, and strictly to a wet food diet to not be insulin dependent and also not have colon issues.
    I am having a exceptionally hard time, as he is literally "addicted" to his dry food, it is like crack to him. I am beyond terrified of a Hypo episode with adjusting his food and I want to know what is the best ratio to start with him so I am not putting him in any sort of risk.
    **Also can I use a human Glucometer on a cat, and what are the appropriate levels of his BG that they should be between?
    I also read that the effects of the wet specifically fancy feast can reverse the need for insulin. It is stating that it is immediate, to not need insulin.. but I am now terrified to give or not to give. ** He was on 2 units, but with his hosp visit being last week and not eating, my vet decreased insulin to 1 unit, until eating regular again. ** again adjustments/ratios etc

THANK YOU! :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello, and welcome to you both!

Have replied to your post on the main forum.

Eliz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.