Help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lorry, Dec 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lorry

Lorry Member

I have a thing about needles well I got the insulin ready took the syringe out of package and froze, Little Boy is to only get 0.1unit and when I looked for that on the syringe no 0.1 there are several lines and then a 5. So would 0.1 be the second line down from the top, I guess I was expecting for 0.1 to be on their it threw me and made me scared I didnt want to go to the wrong line and give him to much. I have decided to wait and call vet in morning and double check as to make sure I get it right.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I think you mean 1 unit....0.1 is a very very tiny amount. 1U is a pretty normal starting dose.

If you have syringes that only have whole unit increments, the first line would be 1U (the line that's the closest to the needle is the "Zero" line.) Whole unit syringe lines on the right in the picture below.

upload_2019-12-18_23-34-42.png

Lorry likes this.
  3. Lorry

Lorry Member

Yes the one on the right is the one so I would put the insulin to the second line ? Yes 0.1 unit and the syringe is a u-40 I just lost it with the syringe and saw no 0.1 on the top scared me as I did not want to give to much. Thank you very much Chris for your help I set here crying tears of happy TY.

4. Lorry

Lorry Member

this is the syringe

Attached Files:

5. Chris & China (GA)

OK...that's a U40 syringe so it's a little different from the ones in the picture (they are U100) but yes, the line that's closest to the needle is always the Zero line, so the first line is 1.0 unit

6. Lorry

Lorry Member

Oh Thank you so much. Im sorry I did not include all this info in my first post I will do better next time

7. Chris & China (GA)

No worries! We were all new here once and it takes some getting used to! What will be very helpful is for you to fill out your Signature. If you click on your sign on name (top right of the page) there's a drop down menu that will list "Signature". Choose that and a new box will pop up. In that box put info like:

Your name/Cat's name, age, sex, date of diagnosis, type of insulin, type of meter, type of food, any other health problems or meds? and a general location.

By filling that out, you don't have to keep answering the same questions over and over again!

Next, we'll want you to start a spreadsheet. We really depend on seeing it before giving much in the way of advice. We're very data driven here so the spreadsheet really helps us to help you!

Here are Instructions on getting the FDMB spreadsheet. Once you have it, you'd put the link to it in your Signature too. (you'll see examples of our signatures below each of our comments)

If you have any trouble setting it up, feel free to send me a PM by clicking on my sign on name and choosing "start a conversation" so I can get some information from you.

Lorry likes this.
  8. Lorry

Lorry Member

Thanks to your pictures and explanation I was able to give Little Boy his first shot last night and also this morning. Thank you Chris

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.