Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gbrown108

Gbrown108 New Member

y 89 year old dad just took his cat who is 7-10 years old? To the vet and he is diabetic. Not only does he need special food (financial burden), but he also needs 2 shots a day that my dad cannot manage. He asked if he should just put him down? He only weighed 7 pounds and has been up to 13 before..poor thing...both of them. Although the cat is an outdoors cat, they let him in some and he is attached to it. Do you know of other options for them? I asked my dad to call the vet back to see if there are any shelters or fosters that might take him...I hate for them to put him down when all he needs is the proper meds to live probably many more year......They are in East TN if that helps..thanks

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If the only problem is cost, have him contact DCIN. We have a Compassionate Assistance Program that can supply him with insulin, a meter/strips/lancets and syringes to start and if he continues to qualify, insulin for as long as necessary.

Here's the link to our CAP programs

He does NOT need to feed that "prescription" food either. Fancy Feast Classics, Friskies pates and 9-Lives ground are low carb, easy to find and a lot more affordable. If you look at more of our posts, you'll see a lot of us feed them! Even Special Kitty pates from WalMart are lower carb and find for a diabetic cat!

If he absolutely can't do the shots (and has no help), he can contact DCIN for re-homing, but that can take a long time and we can't guarantee anything other than getting his story and picture out to more people.

Re-homing information

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.