Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. francine and garth

francine and garth Member

Hi everyone hope you are all having a great New Year!!! got a question? have a client whose cat has a hematoma on the hind leg by the knee, her vet will not rem ove it says it will just come back. Can they be drained to relieve pressure? I have drained soft cysts that were just clear liquid before never a hematoma. I guess would anyone drain it?

Francine and Garth!

2. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

OK, a hematoma is a blood collection. Where is blood coming from? Why does vet think it will come back if drained? If an external drain is placed and/or pressure applied after drainage, chances are minimal for recurrence if blood loss has stopped. But hematomas are non-cystic collections and are normally resorbed by the body over time and drainage by external drain or even lancing will increase chance of infection. I wouldn't drain it unless it was causing pain or interfering with function of the leg.

3. francine and garth

francine and garth Member

thanks bunches , she couldn't tell me where it was coming from, she said it's gotten bigger and is limiting his jumping and playing. she said it is starting to ooze a bit. I suggested to take him back to the vet, but she said vet won't do anything. I suggested a new vet. should I stress anew vet since it started to ooze? if it breaks he could be in trouble right?

4. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

If it breaks, he should be watched for infection and blood loss.

She still really needs some answers of WHY this hematoma is there, even if nothing is done. Of course, it will bother the cat some, so you always have to weigh benefits vs. risks.

And without more history, it is really hard to say what to do.

I'm with you, though, I'd change vets if my current one was so uninformative.

5. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Sounds fishy. I think she needs a second opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.