GA Henley

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rusty1962, Mar 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rusty1962

Rusty1962 New Member

Henley passed away yesterday. Thank you all so much for the advice. She stopped eating Friday night. I took her to our VCA Saturday. He took blood tests and said she needed to stay in another VCA that was a 24hr animal hospital. I drove her the two hours to the hospital, she stayed until Monday. They never figured out what was wrong. Thought maybe liver, pancreatitis. My wife Cathy was on our dream Europe vacation when it all started. I was going to join her in a week. We cancelled the vacation and she flew back to be with Henley. The vet said maybe a new insulin would regulate Henley and we took her home with the new insulin, meds, and a plasma IV bag. Henley was good on the way home but very tired at home. The next morning she was really weak, unable to even lift her head and was making a bad noise. So we decided to have her put down so she wouldn't be in pain. We readied ourselves as best we could. When we got to our VCA a different vet we'd never seen before said she had a blockage in her colon. He did x-rays and she was badly backed up. Gave her fluids and was going to give an enema to clear her out. We had hope again. This was the first thing that had sounded right to us. Not eating, dehydration, lethargic all symptoms of a blockage. But an hour later the vet called and said she passed. She was just two weak. I can't get it out of my mind that on Friday when I first brought her in, when she was much stronger, the first thing that vet noticed was that her bowels were full but he never did an x-ray. Just ordered a blood test and sent me to another vet. I really think clearing out her bowels that first day would have saved her. Going to talk to the vet tomorrow. Know I can't bring her back, but I have to know if he messed up.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2016
    Reason for edit: Added GA prefix. Fly free sweet Henley... land softly.
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Oh, Rusty ... I'm terribly, terribly sorry to hear about Henley. :(

It is never easy to lose any of our little ones but when there's a question about treatment failures - especially in a young cat - it's even more agonising. I've had that happen to two of my little ones and my heart really and truly goes out to yourself and Cathy. Prayers and tears for you in your loss and grief.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

3. pat121

pat121 Member

So very sorry. I guess we're all alike and need answers as to when, why and could we have done more I would hope, for your peace of mind, that finding out on Friday would not have saved her, because then you will always beat up on yourself

I will say to you what I'm saying to myself, in that they are in a beautiful place, and her job on earth was done and she had earned her wings. HUGS.

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm SO sorry it was Henley's time...so not fair. Will knowing change anything? I hope you find the peace you both so need.

Soar high on your new angel wings sweet baby. Land softly back in Papa's/Mama's broken hearts...

Hugs and prayers,

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

If my experience is anything to go by, there are times when it can help.

6. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

((((RUSTY))) I am so so sorry to hear that Henley has crossed the Bridge. You and your wife fought a valiant battle to give Henley the best care possible, but it sounds like Henley's little body was just too tired to fight anymore. Hold your special memories of Henley close to your heart to give you strength and peace at this sad time.

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

7. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

So so sorry about Henley. :bighug:

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sending purrs and prayers.

9. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

so very sorry....:bighug::bighug:

10. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

11. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm so sorry for your loss.
    May you soon find comfort in all your wonderful memories of her.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

cat_wings>o Fly free little Henley... land softly.

12. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

So very sorry for your loss. Fly free sweet Henley:bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Fly free Henley and keep watch over everyone who loves you. cat_wings>o

14. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

I think no matter what happens we tend to wonder and second guess ourselves and our vets about what if we did something differently. I have done this constantly now for the past 6 months and it drives me crazy that there are no answers. Ultimately, though, I think it's so important to remember that your kitty loved you and knows you love her very much. I have yet to find peace with all my questions about what exactly happened and why, but I think remembering that everything you did to save your kitty was motivated by your enormous love for her is important. I'm so, so sorry for your loss. Sending hugs.

15. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss,
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

16. Rusty1962

Rusty1962 New Member

Thanks everyone. Met with vet today, no real answers. We are deep into the guilt stage. Beating ourselves up thinking what if we'd have done this or took her to a different vet. And really killing ourselves that we even let cost get in the way. Now that Henley is gone can't help but think why didn't we just say do it all, do whatever might fix her. I know that even if we'd gone that way their were no guarantees anything would have helped, but maybe it would have, maybe she'd be here now and okay, or at least here for a while longer. We could have figured out some way to pay the bills. I don't know. Beating ourselves up doesn't change anything. Guess we just have to get through this. Thanks again for all your kind thoughts.

17. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

(((Rusty1962))) I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Henley. Please, please, do not blame yourself. Guilt is inevitable for all of us after we lose our babies, but truly, sometimes there are no answers and even the most prepared and educated people cannot fix these things...You are right, there are no guarantees in life either, even heroic measures likely would not have made any difference whatsoever. So all we can do is the very best that we can do -with the knowledge that we have at that given time. ...this drives the control freak in me insane, but it is what it is. My heart goes out to you.

Fly Free Sweet Henley and land softly- You were so loved.
    heartcandle.jpg

18. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

My very deepest, deepest condolences on the loss of your sweet Henley.

Please do not feel guilt. We rely on vets to do the best they can for our babies.....you were definitely trying.

Fly free sweet girl.

19. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

So, so sorry for your loss. It's clear that you loved Henley very much and did all that you could for her. Please don't blame yourselves, sometimes things just happen and, as much as we would like to, we have no control over them. I lost a beloved kitty to what I still believe was veterinary ineptitude, so I can understand to some degree what you are going through. I hope you can find some peace and closure by celebrating Henley's life and the wonderful time you had with her.

Fly free, beloved Henley cat_wings>o

20. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Requiem aeternum, Henley.

{{hugs}}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.