Henry has a sore by his butt/back from the vet

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by HollyandSpader(GA), May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HollyandSpader(GA)

HollyandSpader(GA) Well-Known Member

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247 ... 1_0783.jpg
    So I noticed that Henry was licking around his tail/butt a bit more than usual. Usually he only does that post poop. So I got a view and it looks like he has a sore to the lower left side of his bum hole. I took a pic but it's a bit blurry. You can see a bit of where his hair was wet from looking.

Is this where the anal gland is?

He doesn't appear to be in pain at all. Still his normal happy self.

I plan on getting the first appointment at the vet's on Tuesday.

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

Re: Henry has a sore by his butt/pic included

looks a little low to me to be an anal gland but then again, my experience with a bad one was with one that had already exploded soooooooooooooooo

has there been by chance any encounters with the new girl? maybe she swatted him on the booty and accidentally got him with a claw?

3. HollyandSpader(GA)

I thought about that, but I don't think so. I only noticed it today, but he was doing some licking yesterday. There is a chance that something could have happened yesterday when I was out for a little bit.

I wish that he would let me look at it closer.

4. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

It took two of us to hold Tugger still so I could get a look at his butt sore and the pictures I took (and posted too in his condo in LL!) didn't show his spot well enough. Tugger usually lets me do anything to him and even he was NOT interested in having me check out his butt :lol: I got yelled at a lot that afternoon.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Looks like ana gland to me.

What I learned from vet is to put pressiure artound it and "pop" it like a zit. You don't want to touch it to pop rather go above and below. Use gauze pads or tissues if anything is there it will caatch it. If you r uncomfortable woith that. Use warm water compresses and hold there as lpong as he allows.

Thenif you have neosporion or other topoical antibitoc ointment with pain relief. Puit oit on there. As I was copncenred about maui ingestoing that. I puit it on kept her still for few moinutes to give it time to absorb then gently wiped most of it off

If after doing all this it doesn't shrinkl or gets worse then u need to see vet

Also since this happened once oit can happen again. So reglar checlks are a good idea and if u see it follow. Above steps.

6. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

How could I resist clicking on a post with this alluring title ;-) ? Poor Henry, now his butt on on the internets forever!

It looks a little bit low for the anal gland, the picture is fuzzy but does it look like it's involving his scrotum? Since the rear end is such a dirty area, the likelihood of an abscess (anal-gland or otherwise) is high, it'd be best to get him to the vet for a look and a possible flushing out. Is he unhandleable? I think you know your vet well, you could ask about some oral sedation to help you get him in a carrier and over to the vet.

Also, I don't know much about the fauna of LA -- are there any bugs or scorpions that could have objected to being sat upon by Henry?

7. HollyandSpader(GA)

Hi all.

Yes Jess. I think that Henry would die of embarrassment if he knew that I was talking about his butt. HE is very handleable, but never lets me get a peek at whatever ailment has bugged him over the years. He hates the ride to the vet and usually barfs and poops, but I just drive hi in knowing that my car will stink within 5 minutes of getting in the car.

Maybe a spider bit him?

In any case, the vet's office opens soon and I will get him the first appointment tomorrow. I have a full day today, otherwise I would try for today. f course I didn't notice anything on Saturday. Grr.

He is watching me type right now. :)

8. HollyandSpader(GA)

We will see the vet tomorrow at 8am!

9. Hillary & Maui (GA)

tell henry not to feel bad, when this happened to Maui, I posted her butt pic on the internet too! If she knew, she'd be very upset with me!

10. HollyandSpader(GA)

Back from the but check. The young vet was cool. She is pretty sure that it's a puncture would. He got a Convenia shot a shave and all of that. We are going back on the 22nd for a recheck. She said there is a small chance that it's a tumor, but she couldn't really get a good look at it. If anything changes with peeing, pooping, water intake, eating and all of that, he should come back in.

I am not going to freak out, believe it or not.

11. Hillary & Maui (GA)

12. Maria & Suzie

Maria & Suzie Member

Whilst I am suppressing a snicker at the topic, because of course it's to be taken seriously, but I had a tiring day with Suzie (she went into the 40s...)... you can indeed wonder what he sat on that created a puncture wound like that, it'd almost have to be something big like a nail ??? It'd almost have to be a nail or some sharp object protruding from a wood, a floor or something Or... is there a possibility he was bitten?

PS: How did Henry feel about having a young female vet look at his butt?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.