Her BG has plunged

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jill, Jan 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jill

Jill Member

I don't know what to do. Her BG is in the 20s, I've fed her cherry juice and hi-carb food.

Okay, it's up from 21 to 34. I'll keep testing every 20 minutes or so.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  2. Donna & Doogle

Donna & Doogle Well-Known Member

stick with HC food and honey or karo. Keep testing and dont feed to much at once, you dont want her getting full.

3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello Jill,

Gosh! Good catch!
    Yes, you really want to get those numbers up.

How long ago did you give insulin?
    Which insulin and what dose?
    Alphatrak or 'human' glucose meter?

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Keep it coming up Jill - keep testing, you're doing right. What hi-carb food did you feed her? Cherry juice may upset her stomach because of the acid in it.

5. Jill

Jill Member

The meter is Glucocard for humans. It's accurate, I just tested myself and got 114. The insulin is Lantus, 2 units twice a day, 6:00 to 7:00 a.m. and p.m. The amount is so small, I hope I didn't overdose her this morning. The thing is, she has heart trouble that masks symptoms she might show from low blood sugar. Her breathing was fast and shallow last night and again this morning. I think the food is too low-carb, it's about 3% according to the manufacturer. I give her some kibble with it, maybe not enough.

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Jill, we're in different time zones, so can you tell us how many hours ago you gave insulin?

And can you get another test?

7. Jill

Jill Member

The insulin was five hours ago. Just tested and got 49. She's growling and fighting me, can I wait 15 minutes or so now?

Friskies "Prime filets with chicken and gravy" is what I found at my friend's house. The chart lists carbs as 18% of calories. Normally I would consider it junk food, but not today.

I'm sorry to be so scattered. I didn't realize you're in England!

8. Donna & Doogle

try and calm her down. Singing or humming helps. Make sure to stay calm yourself. Sit and pet her for a second then test. I had the same problem with Doogle when he went low and had to be tested alot. Just remember they pick up on your stress. But get in another test.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Donna & Doogle

Ok, 5 hours ago...Lantus usually has a nadir (lowest point) around 5-7 hours after a shot. You will also probably see a bounce from this as well, so dont freak out.

10. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Jill, the kibble isn't your friend for doing this. The kibble takes much longer to start working then continues to affect numbers for many hours. It also affects things like pooping....soft food will work better for you right now.

11. Elizabeth and Bertie

Okey dokey, Jill.

Lantus can sometimes drop the kitty's blood glucose quite late into the cycle, so do be prepared to have to monitor Alice for quite a while.

Do you have syrup/karo that you can give her?
    And can you get another test now?

You're doing great!

Jill likes this.
  12. Elizabeth and Bertie

Jill,

When numbers are very low, syrup/honey/karo is quickest for raising blood glucose.

Syrup/honey/karo will get into the bloodstream fast, and also wears off relatively quickly (so repeat as necessary).
    Kibble/dry food can take little longer to kick in and can have a longer lasting effect. As a general rule kibble isn't the most helpful in cases of very low numbers (but there are exceptions to that rule...)

Jill likes this.
  13. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Your doing good. Do you have coffee or chocolate for yourself?

C'mon Doogle you got this, bring it up.

14. Donna & Doogle

LOL....this isnt Doogle. This is Jill's kitty. Doogle passed away a month ago.

15. Jill

Jill Member

She's Alice, the kitty in the picture. BG is up to 57. I'm amazed she has so much energy to fight me after having such low blood sugar.

16. Elizabeth and Bertie

Great, that's looking good. Well done! :bighug:
    That 57 is a nice number. We just want to make sure that it doesn't drop lower again.

Are you OK, Jill?

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  17. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

So sorry for mix up.

18. Jill

Jill Member

I'm all right. I added a signature with info in it.

57 still seems low. My brain isn't quite working right yet... what's normal for elderly kitties again?

19. Donna & Doogle

57 is a good number. Get in another test as well. Normal for all kitties is 50-120

Jill likes this.
  20. Elizabeth and Bertie

That 57 is fine (a normal number). But do continue to monitor and to get tests. A cat's blood glucose can rise and then drop again, so it's important to keep an eye on things.
    Ideally, you want to see 3 rising numbers and for the kitty to be past the peak of the insulin cycle.
    Do you know when Alice usually has her lowest number of the cycle?
    (And be aware too that the 'peak' of the cycle isn't always a fixed point. It can shift around...)

21. Donna & Doogle

Jill, do you have a spreadsheet setup?

22. Jill

Jill Member

No, no spreadsheet. I looked at it and at first felt overwhelmed, then saw some that were filled in and figured out how it works. I think I've downloaded it. Time to start using it. I have to tell you, I'm the opposite of a scientist. I have both kitties on a feeding schedule and a medication schedule (Katie is on Pepcid) and that's all I've been able to do so far. Time for next steps.
    Can't find the link to the spreadsheet.
    I'd like to test Katie, but she's had trouble with ear mites and runs away if I even so much as look closely at her ears. I don't know how to overcome that.

23. Jill

Jill Member

I just found the thread called Shooting and Handling Low Numbers. I've read a couple of paragraphs and have to say I've seldom felt more stupid in my life.

Okay, now I've read the emergency instructions at the bottom of the page. Don't feel so stupid any more. I was able to handle it, that's all that counts today. Off to test again to get the second of three normal readings.

I caught her in her sleep and she's up to 76. I think I'll go eat my own lunch. With high-carb comfort food for Mama.

Critter Mom and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  24. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Jill, here's the link to the spreadsheet again - after you get used to using it, you'll find it's about the best tool in your toolbox after test strips:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Testing Katie - you may be pleasantly surprised, after she figures out that Alice is getting 'something special', she may change her tune. I have a civie (non-diabetic) that will actually climb up into test spot/position to be tested 'cos he doesn't want to be left out... :) Been testing him every few weeks for nearing 5 years now.

57 is headed in the right direction!

25. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

26. Squeaky and KT (GA)

OK, enough of feeling that way...we've ALL been there! You handled this one, you learned and now you'll know! :)

27. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

That's hilarious, lol!

28. Jill

Jill Member

I've filled in the testing numbers for Alice but I don't know how to save the spreadsheet so I can get back to it easily. ... Okay, I found the instructions, renamed and downloaded.

29. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, you should be able to access it there and make changes, but it'll also be saved automatically in Google Drive as long as you're signed into Google

You need to change the permissions on it though....right now you're the only one who can see it. Just go to the top right where it says "Share" and click...a new box will pop up....look at the bottom right side of that box for "Advanced" and click there.....new options will come up including a place to check "Anyone with the link"....Choose that and "save"

Then open your signature tab here again (all that info beneath your posts) and add the link so it shows up in your signature...that way it's always there when we need to look at it.

Jill likes this.
  30. Jill

Jill Member

I put it in my signature. Feeling more competent by the minute.

31. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Be sure you go to the bottom of the directions for spreadsheet page here and link the spreadsheet in your signature..... look at my signature and you'll see that along with all the basic info about Radar there is a link for his spread sheet. it really helps everyone here see what's been happening with your furry one so you can get the best help. If you need more assistance, don't be shy about asking as there are plenty of people here to help you. :)

Jill likes this.
  32. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow!!! You are a wonderful (and fast) :) kitty mom. Great job today.

33. Jill

Jill Member

Just tested Katie, got 66. She didn't seem to feel the puncture. I am Catmom, hear me roar.

Alice continues normal at 101.

34. Elizabeth and Bertie

Yay!!! :cat:

Critter Mom and Jill like this.
  35. Jill

Jill Member

I had to add approximate times to the spreadsheet because my fingers were getting tired from counting how many hours since her last shot.

36. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

You could try testing the paw pads, there's very little feeling in them and they bleed quite easily!

Jill likes this.
  37. Squeaky and KT (GA)

That time would work fine until you need to shoot late sometime - your times will then be off. You'll get used to what time each + is within a few days of use. Good job getting it set up!!!!

38. Elizabeth and Bertie

Oh, (((Jill)))...

You did really well today.
    It can be extremely stressful when a kitty has low blood glucose; but you kept a cool head and just got on with it. You should be proud of yourself. ....And maybe a little reward in the form of chocolate or some other yummy thing wouldn't go amiss.....

Have any of the Lantus folks talked to you about where to take the dose from here (given that a dose reduction is in order)?

39. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I just got home from work and read this whole thing--WOW GREAT job @Jill …. you got the hang of this already!! The first time my kitty dropped I wanted to "quit" LOL--sadly you can't quit FD :( But you can gather yourself together as you have today and move on--you handled this like a pro!

40. Chris & China (GA)

Yes you definitely want to reduce the dose tonight! We'll need to see where she's at when it's PMPS time, but you may need to skip and let her depot drain a little tonight (and get some sleep and relax after your busy and stressful day!)

Quick question for you....you say you're feeding "Companion" food....I can't find a "brand name" of "Companion" food although there's a manufacturer of several different kinds of foods named "Companion"

Could you clear up exactly which food(s) you're normally feeding?

41. Jill

Jill Member

The food doesn't appear on any lists. It's the house brand wellness variety of our local Giant Food grocery stores. I emailed Giant and they put me in touch with the manufacturer, who sent me these emails. These numbers, especially the bottom two, seem very low. I didn't really believe them. I also feed Purina One Sensitive Systems dry food in small amounts. Here's a link to the manufacturer's website: http://simmonspetfood.simmonsglobal.com/

upload_2016-1-17_17-43-39.png

upload_2016-1-17_17-44-22.png

42. Jill

Jill Member

Thank you for the kind words. I've had a few embarrassing failures lately in other areas, so this means a lot to me.

All of you were wonderful to me and Alice. Words can't express my gratitude.

jayla-n-Drevon and Critter Mom like this.
  43. Jill

Jill Member

You know that cherry pie I was scooping out in order to get some sugar into her? There's a lot of it left...

She's sleeping soundly. I'll leave her alone for now & test her in an hour or so, about 7:00 p.m., 12 hours after her last shot. Then we'll see if she needs insulin with her dinner. I'm guessing she won't.

44. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Priceless! :D

You did brilliantly today, Jill. :cat:

Mogs

Jill likes this.
  45. Chris & China (GA)

I'll take a piece!!...next time maybe try ice cream instead of cherry pie....LOL

Actually, now that you know about hypo's, it's important to keep some kind of high carb food in the house at all times, as well as some Karo/honey/syrup in case you need it. What a lot of us keep around is Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers foods because the "gravy" part is very high carb

46. Jill

Jill Member

47. Chris & China (GA)

There are foods with very low carbs like that, but without knowing more about it, we can't say if it's truly low carb or not...there's several different ways to determine the carb percentage...most customer service people are just repeating the "company line" so that makes it even harder to know for sure

Did they by any chance give you other numbers like the guaranteed analysis for Protein, Fat, Fiber, Water and Ash?

Some cats do better with a few carbs instead of zero (or really low) but it's something you just have to learn about your own cat.

Jill and Critter Mom like this.
  48. Jill

Jill Member

Okay, it's Alice's dinnertime and her BG is 103. I'll skip her shot and give her the usual low-carb food and some kibble.

49. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Jill, if you haven't already, try to forego the kibble and substitute some extra canned food...the kibble isn't good for a diabetic.

HUGS

50. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

Jill this calculator is what I used to figure out the potential carbs in Pet Smart's Grreat Choice in house brand. I just pulled the numbers off the can (while standing in the pet food aisle)

http://scheyderweb.com/cats/catfood.html

Critter Mom likes this.
  51. Jill

Jill Member

I just tested an hour and a half after her dinner and it's 165. How much Lantus should I give her, do you think? I'll go to the Lantus thread and look at the pinned posts. I'm feeling a little stressed.

Okay, I came as close as I could to giving her 1.75 units.

52. Donna & Doogle

ewww, from the GA on that food, I came up with 13.6%

53. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Jill you might be safe to give 1 unit, but I hesitate to give dosing advise. You could post on the Levemir/Lantus forum with a "?" in your title of something like "Dosing advise needed".

54. Chris & China (GA)

I'd make sure to get a +1 and +2 if you went ahead and shot 1.75U

That 165 could be the beginning of a bounce, or it could be the effect of the food she had 90 minutes ago (I'd probably bet on the bounce, but with these kitties, you just never know for sure!)

Hang in there...We ALL understand how stressful this dance can be, but you did great keeping Alice safe today and you're here now with lots of experience and help to guide you...it will get better!!

Jeanne & Dottie likes this.
  55. Jill

Jill Member

Alice's BG was 59 when we woke up this morning, so I skipped her shot and now I think I should skip it again tonight. These are today's numbers.
    upload_2016-1-18_18-8-16.png

56. Squeaky and KT (GA)

I can see the following choices:

* Skip - be sure you're testing for ketones as often as possible
    * Shoot 'token' dose of .5 to .75 - this would be just to give her pancreas some extra support in case it's sputtering. I know she's a relapsed diabetic but her numbers are running too low to me. You'll need to keep an eye on her numbers as you've been
    * Shoot reduced dose of 1.5 - you'll need to keep a close eye on her numbers if you do this both this cycle and next cycle. I wouldn't choose this one if she were mine.

Others will chime in too...

You and Alice have caught on to this quickly! HUGS!

Critter Mom, Jeanne & Dottie and Jill like this.
  57. Chris & China (GA)

I think I'd skip tonight or only give a tiny token dose....with that hypo yesterday, she may be very sensitive to insulin now

Better too high for a day than too low for a moment

Jill and Critter Mom like this.
  58. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

:bighug:You can do this, you're getting better by the second. Just make sure your BG doesn't take a tumble. I saw someone mention chocolate. :pThat should go into EVERY guardian's emergency kit.

59. Jill

Jill Member

Just tested her and got 164. This is about the same as last night's +2 after her shot. I'm going to skip the shot and check her BG again tomorrow morning.

60. Jill

Jill Member

I found a 12-oz box of Russell Stover today for $5.00 and couldn't resist. I think they were getting rid of Christmas chocolate to make room for Valentine's Day's upcoming chocolate extravaganza.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.