Here we go!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and little, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

so as you can see by ss I went up yes .. a full .25 I cannot see well enough to judge the smaller increments on U 40 w. Any way yesterday pretty good with an expected high at PMPS. Today was unexpected AMPS so I stalled, dropped the dose a “ hair” (I knew I would be home all day to test and watch her like a hawk) and you see I just got a 51! She seems totally fine and I fed her a snack of N/C food which she scarfed. All that said what to do? How do I judge the smaller increments and keep it accurate and consistent? And I’m sure this could be a fluke too as she is a bouncy girl. 2.75 for 14 days was not producing long enough or consistent lows Should I have waited longer to up the dose to see if she would get used to it?

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmm...that's tough. I do think you were on 2.75 long enough to realize it wasn't giving what you needed. I don't think staying there longer would have significantly changed things. However, 3 gave you quite a wild ride. Now it's possible that Little simply has a volatile reaction to dose changes. That's not really that odd. I've seen it before where a dose change causes a crazy low like that, and then they calm down and don't give such wild reactions to that new dose in a cycle or two. In those cases, I would just suggest smaller dose changes...but as you said it's going to be hard to do that on u40s. You can try though...instead of upping by .25, try doing fat and skinny doses. So instead of going from 2.75 to 3, go from 2.75 to a skinny 3. Then go to 3, then a fat 3, then 3.25 etc...

I know we've talked about u100s before but I can't recall the conversation. Is there a reason you don't want to use them? They do make smaller dose changes a lot easier. It's fine if you don't, just trying to make sure you know all the options!

3. Lisa and little

Hi Rachel,
    Yes I do. Just didn’t have them on hand and so far have been ok without. Can you get me the conversion chart again?

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sure can! Conversion Chart.

As for the u100s, I get that totally! So if you don't have them on hand, I'd go with the fat and skinny doses when you need to make a dose change but don't want to go all the up another 0.25. :)

5. Lisa and little

As for tonight and tomorrow that’s what I will have to do. I am depressed today I was hoping things would go better , she hates me, her ear looks like a cauliflower and my hand looks like a pin cushion. This am I shot a “ skinny 3” but knowing it was on a low number. Did I do the right thing by feeding her mid cycle or should I have watched her line a hawk to see if her own body may have kicked in to increase the low? I assume you suggest is shoot another skinny 3 if I get a PMPS of 300 or higher? I guess I am confused the ultimate goal is to have Am and PM PS that are not crazy so the low this morning was “ good” but put a monkey wrench in the treatment plan. IF and I know it’s an IF she needs to be on insulin long term/always... what is the ultimate goal for Am and PM PS numbers? I know dumb impossible question. I am just a little frustrated and sad today. I love this girl so much and feel like I’m messing up

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Aw Lisa! First off, you have to give yourself a break. I know how easy it is to get down and upset during this sugar dance. It happens to ALL of us as we love our kitties so much and want them to always be happy and well. My sugar kitty has been gone for a long time now, but two of my others have a chronic illness that flares up from time to time, so I know how tough it can be. To an extent, you just gotta go with the flow and do your best, which is exactly what you are doing. You're a GREAT mama bean to Little and she's a lucky little girl to have you in her life. I'm 100% sure she doesn't hate you. She might be feeling a little icky right now but that will improve.

I thinking feeding her when you did was exactly the right choice. It's what I would have done. She was right there at the too low number and it was early in the cycle. You gave her a snack and didn't freak out and bust out the honey and she rose gently which is what you want. So yes, you made the right choice and it is just what we would have told you to do had you asked...and you didn't need to ask because you had this in hand!

Yes, I'd suggest a skinny 3 again tonight I think. Might help to keep her from being too low to shoot in the AM but still allow her body to spend time in healing numbers. If you get a low number again like this morning, I'd decrease a bit since the skinny 3 brought her down a bit too far at +4. Maybe go back to 2.75 or even 2.5 if she's in a number like this morning? It's hard to guess at reductions...you have to decide what feels safe for you and go with it and see what happens.

As for long term goals if she was a life long insulin user...well there's no SPECIFIC numbers but I'd say you'd want yellows preshot and then blues and dark greens during the cycle. Heck, we've had some cats sit happily at blues preshot and dark greens mid cycle while on insulin for awhile. Basically, you want to stay out of pinks and higher if you CAN, but mostly you want a cat who seems to be feeling good, doesn't go too low, and doesn't bounce around like crazy too much. It's different for different cats, but we can help you figure out what is best for Little if it turns out she needs insulin long term. Don't worry. We won't abandon you and we'll be here as long as you need us.

Lisa, once again you are a GREAT cat mama! I think you deserve a treat of some sort tonight. A glass of wine, a nice hot bath, a big bowl of ice cream, watching your favorite movie, or whatever it is that you love and don't let yourself do often enough. We all deserve that sometimes and you do such a wonderful job with Little that you need to allow yourself to rejuvenate some. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Lisa and little

Hi Rachel,
    Your kind words mean a lot and you’re right. I got a scary low and didn’t freak out but that is only because of all the help and advice I have been given here ( but yes I have honey turned upside down and ready to go on my coffee table) I could not have made the educated decisions I have made without the support of you and all who have helped me on this site. I am sorry to hear what you have been through with sugar babies but they were lucky to have you as a mama. I would be happy with yellows for pre shots and blues and some greens daily. Hopefully we’ll get there. Thank you all for your constant support and making me feel not alone. And again the only reason i got through today was from the advice I have been given from all of you on this site. .... if you remember a few weeks ago I DID freak but it was your constant support and advice that allowed me to stay calm today- even though it sucked ! Shot a skinny 3 on a 390 tonight so figuring ... or shouldn’t I say hoping we don’t go into low crisis mode at the PMPS. Thank you again your support is invaluable

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  8. Lisa and little

Are the U 100 syringes the same as what’s readily available at CVS/ Walgreens etc? The human ones?

9. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes, although for what it's worth, buying them at WalMart is significantly cheaper than anywhere else. My CVS was charging $50/box, while WalMart is $12/box. It made it worth the long drive to stock up.

10. Lisa and little

Ok. Very concerned that I bought the correct syringes and doing the conversion in general. Can someone look at attached photo and confirm? I love all you guys you’ve all been great but I do have to ask.. are we 100% sure the conversion is accurate? Forgive me but I’m just frightened I’ll screw up. . Pharmacist was confused With what needles to sell me. If these are correct and I am looking for a 2.8 u conversion, am I drawing up to the 7th little line at the very top of the syringe?

Attached Files:

11. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

It looks like you did get the u100, but you want 3/10ml capacity with half unit markings. You can still use them, but the 1/2ml capacity is going to be harder to get smaller doses.

I feel more confident doing the conversions myself rather than printing off the conversion chart. You just multiply the u40 dose by 2.5 to get the line you want to draw to on a u100 syringe. So if you are going for 2.8 u40 units, multiply by 2.5 and you get 7, so you draw to 7 on the u100 syringe.

12. Lisa and little

Ah. Thank you and thanks for the multiplier. I will stick with eyeballing my U40 until I get the right ones. Don’t want to change so many times and keep the dose as consistent as possible. Where do you get those syringes? Are they available at local pharmacy to try? I assume they have half markings and all the other smaller markings as well? I am currently using U 40 with half marks

13. Lisa and little

Would this be correct .3CC?

Attached Files:

14. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Yes that’s the right one :)

15. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Look on Adwdiabetes.com

16. Lisa and little